Top Ten Indicators that you take watches and watch collecting much too seriously--Take Two!!
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Top Ten Indicators that you take watches and watch collecting much too seriously--Take Two!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Top Ten Indicators that you take watches and watch collecting much too seriously--Take Two!!

Samanator’s current thread “You know you’re a Ball watch fan when?”, reminded me of a fun thread we did a few years ago here (in 2010, to be exact). For your amusement, I put all the replies together in a single opening thread, complete with the original introduction. Note that we are one shy of 50. That doesn’t mean we can’t reach 100 however. Feel free to contribute--your thoughts will be archived for future generations of watch aficionados!

(2010)
    Hi,
    Thought this might be a fun diversion. In the spirit of David Letterman, with no particular order in mind--a top ten list for watch collectors. Though inspired by Ball enthusiasts, this could apply to anyone viewing this web site--feel free to add to the list.
    Enjoy,
    Peter (timefleas)

Top Ten Indicators that you take watches and watch collecting much too seriously.

1. You have worn one watch on either wrist, simultaneously, and have actually left the house like that, and have found yourself making some rationalization for it. (timefleas)
    2. You have framed and hung your COSC certificates on the same wall as you hang your diplomas. (timefleas)
    3. You list both your “sold” and “incoming” watches as part of your signature. (timefleas)
    4. You put a picture of your “wrist shot” on the world’s longest thread, everyday, even though it is the same watch, day in and day out. (timefleas)
    5. You have bought watches that after spending a few minutes admiring, photographing and drooling over, have gone right into the “vault” where they have stayed ever since. (timefleas)
    6. You consider a watch that is worn once a month as being part of the “rotation”. (timefleas)
    7. You will stop at nothing in singing the accolades of your own watch while criticizing another, even though you have never owned, worn and even seen the other. (timefleas)
    8. You figure it is OK to buy the latest “grail”, because you will be able to cover it with sales from something in the current collection, thinking you might well break even, or possibly come out ahead. (timefleas)
    9. You spend more time reading and contributing on forums such as these than you do communicating with family members. (timefleas)
    10. You know the history of the watch company better than the founders or current owners do. (timefleas)
    11. You have more watches than socks. (Samanator)
    12. You spend more on watches than you do on your car.
    etc. (Samanator)
    13. You justify buying the Orange, Blue and Black dial version of the same watch because you want a matched set (or whatever all the dial variations are). (Samanator)
    14. You have a compete drawer in your dresser full of straps including 10 of the same strap in every stitch color. (Samanator)
    15. You have bought the same exact watch more then once. (Samanator)
    16. You spend a month deciding between the black and silver dial version of a watch and select the silver. Then flip it and buy the black which you totally justify in your mind. (Samanator)
    17. You are paying for your new watch purchase at the store and already started planning the next watch you will buy. (Samanator)
    18. If you buy the strap version you buy the bracelet for it two weeks later or the reverse. (Samanator)
    19. You look at pictures of watches you had for only a short period and wonder why you sold them. (Samanator)
    20. You tell your wife that the 1-month-old watch on your wrist isn't new - and you mean it. (JarrodS)
    21. Your regular watch rotation is worth more than your car. (waterbrook)
    22. You're afraid to look at your annual expenditures, because you know you spent more on watches than you did on groceries. (waterbrook)
    23. While watching a movie at home, you have to pause and rewind to check out someone's wrist. (waterbrook)
    24. Friends who are not watch fans know not to bring up the subject because they know you will prattle on endlessly. (waterbrook)
    25. You sincerely ask your wife: "What do you think of this one?", even though deep down you know she thinks your nuts. (Stonechild)
    26. You try to get your spouse on board by buying her expensive timepieces. (Stonechild)
    27. You will not drive 15 miles to go to a restaurant, but you will dive 4 hours each way to go to a watch store. (samanator)
    28. When you go on a business trip you scope out watch stores you will visit in your free time while there.(samanator)
    29. You are thinking about watches when your head hits the pillow. (tommy_boy)
    30. You start planning what watch you will take on a trip two weeks before you leave, yet you are still packing everything else at the last minute. (samanator)
    31. As a follow up to 30 you change the take along watch at least 3 times before you go and then at the last minute throw in a second (or third) watch because you just never know what will happen on a two day trip. (samanator)
    32. You have an emergency watch locked in your desk at work just in case you had a stroke that morning (sarcasm) and left the house without a watch. (samanator)
    33. You spend 30 minutes talking yourself out of calling the shopNBC watch shows and correcting the 100 things the show "experts" have said in the past 15 minutes. (samanator)
    34. While out shopping with your wife you try and educate the watch counter person on several items they are dead wrong on while your wife tries on the 12 dresses or pairs of black shoes. (samanator)
    35. You can't understand how your wife can tell the difference between 20 pairs of what appear to be identical black shoes, yet can't see the obvious difference between one black watch and another. (samanator)
    36. On the way to work you turn around and go back home after realizing that you left the house without a watch. (JarrodS)
    37. You buy the OEM strap to a watch you don't own yet.(JarrodS)
    38. While waiting for the latest incoming, you have already decided to "flip it" and are making plans for yet another purchase from the funds you receive on this one.(timefleas)
    39. You have a separate bank account set up devoted solely to the buying and selling of your watches.(timefleas)
    40. When you greet someone for the first time, you size them up by the watch they are wearing, before anything else.(timefleas)
    41. You are considering renting an air conditioned storage space for your empty watch boxes. (samanator)
    42. You have actually calculated how many stackable winders will fit on a wall just in case that becomes an issue. (samanator)
    43. You go into a watch store and it takes a list of 10 brands of watches until you find one they have. (samanator)
    44. You put your watch on before you put on your clothes. (I can't believe I wrote this!) (tommy_boy)
    45. You hate cold weather primarily because you can't see what's on everyone's wrist.(waterbrook)
    46. After a trip to the beach or the pool, you recall a pretty gal. You can't remember the color of her swimsuit, but you know what watch she was wearing.(waterbrook)
    47. You can remember every brand of watch you have ever owned but you can’t remember what you had for dinner last night.(toph)
    48. You look at your watch so often yet you don’t actually know what time it is!!(toph)
    49. Just about to inject a patient's trigger finger and admire their strap, almost forget to do the injection. (Dr_Niss)
    Last edited by timefleas; March 23rd, 2014 at 14:23.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Top Ten Indicators that you take watches and watch collecting much too seriou...

50. While walking through the mall with friends you find it amusing that they built the Invicta Boutique right next to the Omega Boutique...and your the only one in your group that finds it funny.

51. The watch you said you would never buy will arrive at your house tomorrow according to the UPS tracking online.
    Last edited by samanator; March 23rd, 2014 at 21:44.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Re: Top Ten Indicators that you take watches and watch collecting much too seriously--Take Two!!

52. Your vacation pictures include wrist shots

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Top Ten Indicators that you take watches and watch collecting much too seriously--Take Two!!

53. You insist on taking pictures of other people's watches just so you can post them online..
    54. You find people taking selfies for facebook funny and stupid. But you find every chance for an occasion/place for a selfie of your watch !
    follow me on: https://www.instagram.com/rohantime

Rolex
    I Omega I Breitling I Glycine I B&M ISeiko

55. When you forgo personal safety to capture that perfect hands-free wrist shot whilst at speed on the bike — aka: the "death selfie."

beeman101 and franken21 like this.

I concur with that one OP !

Here's me hanging from a fort wall trying to get a shot where one of the famous well scenes from the DArk knight Rises was shot !

Name:  Baume & mercier Dark knight.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  88.4 KB

Rolex

Love this thread, keep them coming!
    "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

BLUE SKIES!

Top Ten Indicators that you take watches and watch collecting much too seriou...

56. You realize when you turn 45 that every watch that has a date at a 1/4 hour should have a cyclops regardless of what you said the 45 years prior to that. So you start changing your current watches without them for those that have them.

57. Your completely unaware of the current happenings around the world, but you can name every watch from your favorite brands announce prior to this years Basel.
    Last edited by samanator; March 23rd, 2014 at 22:24.
    beeman101 likes this.
    Michael

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    56. You realize when you turn 45 that every watch that has a date at a 1/4 hour should have a cyclops regardless of what you said the 45 years prior to that.
    So....ah ummm only rolexe's then

Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by beeman101 View Post
    So....ah ummm only rolexe's then
    For starters, but add Ball, Panerai, Arnold and Son, Seiko, Citizen, Omega, Cartier, Tag, Zenith, Breguet (they may have actually invented them),nearly every fashion brand, the ten thousands copies of these....I can keep going? Remember they can be internal or external. It is probably easier to name the established brands that have never had one on a watch?
    Last edited by samanator; March 23rd, 2014 at 22:16.
    Michael

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information