Ultimate Lume Proposal

Thread: Ultimate Lume Proposal

Ultimate Lume Proposal

First of all, I'm really happy with my Ball diver and I have a Night Train in the way. I'm very impressed with the quality and detail of these watches.

Since Ball is being so responsive to members of these forums I thought I would float a little idea by everyone and see what you think.

How about a model that features both Superluminova and gas tubes? Let's face it, the tubes are very bright but they are small. Superluminova on the hands in particular would provide a much clearer time indication and as the intensity fades over the coarse of the night the tubes would take over.

Has the combination idea been tested in the past? Does it "muddy the waters" too much or is it worth a shot?
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

Re: Ultimate Lume Proposal

Peter---the Hydrocarbon bezel numbers are now superluminova so it has been done (combining tubes and SL on a Ball). If a combo of tubes and SL has been done with a dial/hands, I'm not aware but someone will confirm I'm sure. As for me, I prefer all tubes since tubes will always outshine/outlast SL and the tube technology is very cool.
    Chris

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    ==========================
    Collector of Ball, Stowa and Glycine timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by CalDiver View Post
    Peter---the Hydrocarbon bezel numbers are now superluminova so it has been done (combining tubes and SL on a Ball). If a combo of tubes and SL has been done with a dial/hands, I'm not aware but someone will confirm I'm sure. As for me, I prefer all tubes since tubes will always outshine/outlast SL and the tube technology is very cool.
    I think that RockX Watches (a/k/a RXW) makes the Plasmir Mil-graph -- a sort of Radiomir hommage -- that has both luminova and tritium tubes to provide lume. I thought it was an interesting idea when the watch came out, but I've never seen one in person.

Rob

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

- Yes it has been done. I have a Luminox that has it (can't remember model # right now). The SLN is done in a white border around the tritium tubes. This is however only on the dial around the indexes and not the hands. Its pretty cool, I enjoy seeing the bright SLN when I come in from the sun and then the glow of the tubes shine through after the SLN fades away. IMHO Ball and every other company who does Tritium tubes should consider it, at least on the sport models...

100% agree my hydrocarbon classic 2 would be much better w superluminova surrounding the tubes instead of the steel. Ironically the hands are the weak spot on this watch (at night) I love the shape of the hands but the hour markers on the dial are twice as thick as on the hands. Still the most legible watch out there (over time when lume fades) the ball tubes shine on.

Yeah, that's what I like too, that the tubes stay so vividly bright. But the footprint of the tubes is pretty small and during the day the legibility of the hands is not always the best. Of course some of the other Ball models feature larger tubes and that is big help I think.

I wouldn't mind seeing the arabic numbers and hands, including the sweep, done in SL instead of steel on my Engineer II Diver for instance.

Anyway, just trying to think of ways to achieve the ultimate lume experience and at the same time preserve maximum legibility during all other lighting conditions.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

I think that If there was some way they could come up with an aesthetically pleasing way of incorporating both SL and Tubes into the face of the watch, it would be great!!

I'm no designer, but I imagine it might be a bit difficult, as each system would have to be designed so as to be used independently of each other, and still look good.

This company http://www.reactorwatch.com/frame.html, has made a watch with both. Click on the 'Never Dark' picture to see the watch and an example of the layout of the SL and Tubes. I guess it's OK for a start, but I don't think I quite like the way they've done it.

On the hands of the watch, there is a Tube, and a tiny bit of SL at the tips. The second hand has no SL, only a Tube. The numbers are SL, however when they fade, there are only four Tubes around the face of the watch.

I'm sure if Ball tried it they could come up with much better designs!!
    Regards,
    - TY -

I'm curious how the bezel markers are considered Superluminova? Isn't Superluminova a paint that is applied, as on a Seiko monster? The lume inside the Mad Cow bezel is a rubbery ring that glows very faintly. I've exained this ring, and it reminds me of the rubber "glow ball" I had as a kid, the same sort of milky green translucent material. I know Ball says it is Superluminova, but somehow i'm sceptical? It surely doesn't glow like Superluminova.

It's probably a glow in the dark O-ring. They are made with zinc oxide not the rare earth materials such as strontium aluminate that are in the luminova compounds.

Thread Information