Unhappy with Ball service
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Unhappy with Ball service

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Unhappy Unhappy with Ball service

Late last summer I had an accident and dropped my EHC Classic III onto the kitchen tile. The watch stopped running and had a big dent on the bezel. It was still under warranty but I didn't expect the repair to be covered. Sent it off for service through a local AD where I bought the watch from. Watch was sent to Switzerland to be repaired because they needed to remanufacture the case and bezel over there. I got it back last December after waiting for four months. Total cost was $692 for case repair and movement overhaul. Expensive, but I loved the watch and I really wanted to get it fixed.

Watch came back looking like new , but it was losing -17 to -20 seconds a day . Is this acceptable after a movement overhaul? I personally don't think so. It's not COSC, but I expected better than -20 a day. I wore it for about two months hoping that it would run better after a break in period, if there is even such a thing, but the watch kept losing that much time. Before the accident, the watch was gaining +1 second a day.

So I asked my AD to send it back to Ball last month. It may just need a simple regulation. Today I got a call from my AD. She said that the watch is still in queue for service and that Ball may charge extra for regulation. So I spent a lot for a movement overhaul and they wanted to charge me extra for a simple regulation which they should have done in the first place? Is this too much to ask?

My AD will call me again next week for an update. I could have had it regulated by a local watchmaker but I wonder if having the watch opened will void the warranty. Does anyone know?

I have bought three Ball watches, but this experience has made me an unhappy customer.

Re: Unhappy with Ball service

I'd be really unhappy if something like this happened! It's clearly not been regulated properly and they should sort it, why don't companies think if they do little things like this to help customers it's going to help retention and improve brand perception, especially when customers spend thousands on their products rather than just thinking of how to make an extra buck! Sad really!
    brrrdn likes this.

Tall price for the overhaul, but not surprising. Seems like kind of a bummer if they're going to ask for more to have it regulated to within acceptable non-COSC standards though. Best of luck with the repair.
    brrrdn likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd be very happy if it's running +10 to +15 a day, but -20 a day is too slow. It's losing more than 2 minutes a week. Before the overhaul, the watch was running +1, so I guess I had better expectation.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

First take a breath....calm. OK better. What is stated on the work done by Ball? Did they give timing, what works was done, does it show if it was regulated or any other details? Note that Ball service carries a 1 year warranty. Generally if asked properly they will regulate it. Also look at it from their perspective, they need to check that you did not do something new to cause the condition. I'm pretty certain this is what the message you got translates to and this is SOP. Like any service center they need to check first before responding. A little more advice in the future I would advise against waiting to get back in contact since things can even happen from shipping, so it is best to let them know ASAP. I've had nearly a half dozen brand new watches arrive after shipping with balances out of whack, hands knocked off and a few others things and they were all packed really well. If it was caused in shipping you may have miss your window for a claim. I'm certain it will get taken care of, and they have always been pretty decent in the past. Is it at the US or Swiss center now?
    Last edited by samanator; March 19th, 2014 at 00:50.
    brrrdn and GatorJ like this.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

I am calm, just unhappy

I only got a simple itemized list from my AD. No details from Ball, other than the pressure testing result. (My AD might have not given them to me.)

New case (even though it's the same case but repaired)
    Movement overhaul

Total $600
    Postage $40
    Tax $52.80

The watch is at the US service center.

You may be right. Maybe I should have sent it back right away. As I said, I was hoping it would run better over time.

To be fair, they did an excellent job repairing the case and bezel to look like new. I just expected the watch to run better.

I think if you are reasonable and ask that they consider the regulation to be an expected part of the service you paid for, you'll get their agreement.

I hope so. My AD is negotiating on my behalf.

Happily wearing my SMO at the gym.

Four months and $692 for a complete case replacement?!?!! That is unbelievable. Breitling and others will be approaching a year and 3x that.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information