Update. Pics added. Disappointed with tritium on Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Update. Pics added. Disappointed with tritium on Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Confused Update. Pics added. Disappointed with tritium on Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon

I had not worn a watch for years and recently decided to get one. I got a Luminox to wear daily and was so enamored with the tritium that I wanted some more. I bought a Praetorian and an MWC and really wanted a high end watch with tritium. After discovering Ball I had to have one so I bought a Engineer Hydrocarbon. It is under warranty From 9/27/2013 and the tritium is very disappointing and not at all what I expected. I specifically picked this one because I assume it would be brighter than the ones I have so far. I really liked the double width tubes and just love the watch. I checked it out in the dark and was shocked. I got a MWC that is also green and compared the two and was even more shocked. The MWC is a 400 dollar watch. I would expect a 2000 + dollar ball with double wide tubes to be much brighter. Below are images of the watches I am talking about. I will take a comparison shot and post later but for know this is all I have.

I would like return it but it was an ebay purchase and in talking with the seller I can tell that he was not aware of this. I am sure it was sold in good faith so I cant fault the seller. It was definitely an individual and not a volume seller of anything.

I would just call Ball but it is the weekend and I am dying to know if they will cover this and replace the tubes. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of something like this?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Brad

EDIT..
    I had no idea what I was getting into in photographing images like this so apologies for the crappy quality. After an hour on my bathroom floor and getting something decent I was done.
    Left is the Ball Hydrocarbon, on the Right the MWC. They are both labeled T25 and to the best of my knowledge the tritium comes from the same manufacturer. I had to set the exposure to 6 seconds and set the camera on the floor to get it a sharp images.

Name:  CIMG1539.JPG
Views: 836
Size:  1.49 MB
    Name:  CIMG1536.JPG
Views: 824
Size:  297.4 KB

Images are all from the sellers of these. 1. is the Ball, 2. is the tritium picture, 3. is the MWC for reference.

1) Name:  hydrocarbon.JPG
Views: 978
Size:  196.2 KB

2) Name:  Lume.JPG
Views: 967
Size:  72.6 KB

3) Name:  MWC.JPG
Views: 958
Size:  78.7 KB
    Last edited by bradfromearth; November 24th, 2014 at 23:31.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Re: Disappointed with tritium on Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon

It is an old watch, but impossible to tell if anything is wrong from your picture. It looks OK and Ball has improved these over time. We would need someone with experience with this models since most current with those size tubes are pretty bright. Actually I'm amazed the bezel lume works since these were not that strong. I don't expect Ball to do anything based on this picture and that you are not the original owner. Ball warranties do not transfer in the US. If you bought it from an AD they may be able to help.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

What you need to do in order for us to truly understand your issues is to take photos in the dark of all three of your watches lined up next to each other--after they have been in the dark for 5 or 6 hours at least. In other words, show us exactly how these watches actually match up, side by side, in an authentic test. Even having done that though, I don't think you can really expect all that much--it is a used watch, off warranty, bought on the bay, after all....

While I have not owned either a Praetorium or an MWC, I have owned a Deep Blue, a Traser and Mondaine, all also with tritium, and my Aviator GMT with 100T beats them all, including the Deep Blue with is also 100T.

It is unfortunate that your first experience with a Ball is not what you had hoped for, but the watch you have, in terms of build quality, wearability and attractiveness will outwear your others here, over the course of time...
    Last edited by timefleas; November 24th, 2014 at 04:24.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

heb

I have the same model Ball watch and your night time picture looks just like mine. No consolation, but it is good enough for me--I don't have an MWC watch though. My only admittedly picky complaint is that the chapters are so large that they tend to dominate and wash out the thin glow tubes on the hands. heb

As I understand it the T25 rating limits the amount of tritium in both watches shown to a fixed amount. I notice that the MWC has much smaller (thinner) tubes which means there is a much higher concentration of tritium in each to stimulate the phosphorescent coating. The Ball, by comparison, had the same account of tritium but is expected to power a much larger surface area of phosphorescent coating. Hence I would expect it would not glow so bright even when new. I'm no expert though, so I'm happy to be corrected.
    pdoherty likes this.

the whole point of ball is that it doesn't degrade during the night. and normal lume watch that has been stuck under a ligth or just been in the sun glow bright. but after five hours in the dark the ball will be much brighter.

Please let us see a comparison lume shot of your collection. The only tritium experience I have is with my one ball. And it has left me anything but disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BasilBuddha View Post
    As I understand it the T25 rating limits the amount of tritium in both watches shown to a fixed amount. I notice that the MWC has much smaller (thinner) tubes which means there is a much higher concentration of tritium in each to stimulate the phosphorescent coating. The Ball, by comparison, had the same account of tritium but is expected to power a much larger surface area of phosphorescent coating. Hence I would expect it would not glow so bright even when new. I'm no expert though, so I'm happy to be corrected.

I will take pictures and upload them within 2 hours.

What your saying makes perfect sense and if that is the case then it was a poor design decision. I would think it much wiser to use dual single width tubes.

Looks perfect to me. Tritium in any form is not that bright. I've had several including ball, luminox etc.

Oh, and one more thing, please dont fault the ebay seller because your expectations were higher than normal. He/she/they is/are not at fault here....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information