Is this variance normal
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is this variance normal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this variance normal

I purchased the HC Ceramic XV in mid-Aug. For the first month it was gaining < 1 sec/day, so after 30-days it had only gained 19 seconds. Since mid-Sept. it's been losing ~ 1-sec/day. I know it's well within the COS certification, but is it normal to gain when first purchased, then lose time?

Re: Is this variance normal

It can take up to three and four months for a new automatic movement to stabilize. This have been demonstrated in other threads here, where members have provided statistics, graphs, etc. of daily differences over periods lasting as long as six months. You have absolutely nothing to worry about, and honestly, your results are better than most.
    bmfang likes this.

^^^ Agree with timefleas. My Engineer Hydrocarbon AeroGMT II which is about 6 months old started with about +1 second over a week and after it's settled in, is now spot on. I can't even recall when was the last time I had to adjust the time on it. I find that temperature plays a part as I think it speeds up a little when it is colder. But generally, the timekeeping on my Ball Watch beats some of my other more expensive watches!
    bmfang likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My Ball EHC NEDU (COSC 7750) started off almost bang on the money, then went +10s for a couple of weeks (which freaked me out). Almost three years later now, it has settled between +2-5s/day (when I wear it, which is now infrequently as I am wearing my vintage manual winds and G-Shocks more often these days).

Yours is well within tolerances. Wear it and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dogbert_is_fat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmfang View Post
    My Ball EHC NEDU (COSC 7750) started off almost bang on the money, then went +10s for a couple of weeks (which freaked me out). Almost three years later now, it has settled between +2-5s/day (when I wear it, which is now infrequently as I am wearing my vintage manual winds and G-Shocks more often these days).

Yours is well within tolerances. Wear it and enjoy it.
    That NEDU is a keeper. Give me a holler anytime you want to flip it mate.
    bmfang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    That NEDU is a keeper. Give me a holler anytime you want to flip it mate.
    I was thinking about flipping it but I’m keeping it if I have a work function where there is a need to “show off” with a big timepiece (and that happens a few times in a year).

Plus the tritium tubes still make me smile. Though I’m not looking forward to the half-life kicking in in about 9 years time and the bill to replace those tubes (assuming the Australian distributor or Ball back in Switzerland can get a replacement set for the hands and dial indices at that time).

Though I’m not looking forward to the half-life kicking in in about 9 years time and the bill to replace those tubes (assuming the Australian distributor or Ball back in Switzerland can get a replacement set for the hands and dial indices at that time).
    The "half life" concern is a non-issue, as has been pointed out repeatedly here and elsewhere. First, at 12.3 years, the tritium tubes are plenty bright, and by the end of the night, still brighter than ANY s(super)luminova. Second, there aren't "sets" of tubes set aside for each watch type--they are rather standard in terms of sizing, and will always be on hand--AND other companies can also replace tritium tubes, and you can choose your only color scheme when doing that. I like to show my 12 and half year first generation Ball Fireman whenever references to the half life are made--this is it, as it is today, in its "half life" state--still my go to watch ofr all night events, such as the movies or whatever....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Slm643 and bmfang like this.
    Less is More...

I was thinking about flipping it but I’m keeping it if I have a work function where there is a need to “show off” with a big timepiece (and that happens a few times in a year).

Plus the tritium tubes still make me smile. Though I’m not looking forward to the half-life kicking in in about 9 years time and the bill to replace those tubes (assuming the Australian distributor or Ball back in Switzerland can get a replacement set for the hands and dial indices at that time).
    Assuming that the Australian distributor is still representing the brand then I don't think you would have an issue with it as they (AVSTEV) are pretty good to deal with. I had a small issue with my watch as the courier guy dropped it on the floor but it was fixed under warranty. They kept me in the loop throughout the process so I was really impressed with them. But I don't think those tubes are hard to source if you go third party for your servicing as the 7750 is fairly common.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert_is_fat View Post
    Assuming that the Australian distributor is still representing the brand then I don't think you would have an issue with it as they (AVSTEV) are pretty good to deal with. I had a small issue with my watch as the courier guy dropped it on the floor but it was fixed under warranty. They kept me in the loop throughout the process so I was really impressed with them. But I don't think those tubes are hard to source if you go third party for your servicing as the 7750 is fairly common.
    Servicing the movement is relatively easy. As you said, a 7750 is a pretty common movement (though getting it out of the NEDU’s case might be a different kettle of fish as the screws and caseback look like they might be proprietary).

I’m more worried about a third party watchmaker stuffing up the dial and hands instead. Here in Oz, not sure if anyone apart from Avstev will be able to order in the tritium tubes to replace on indices and hands given that it does contain radioactive material.

I’m more worried about a third party watchmaker stuffing up the dial and hands instead. Here in Oz, not sure if anyone apart from Avstev will be able to order in the tritium tubes to replace on indices and hands given that it does contain radioactive material.
    Raymond Li, and his company Bonding Co Ltd, in Hong Kong, has installed tritium tubes for one of our members from Australia, as discussed in at least one or two threads here, and also redid the tubes on my Flying Scotsman (a $14K limited edition)--I would in fact trust him with any of my watches before I sent it off to Ball--they make their own watches, and repair others, and do an absolutely fantastic job at very good prices, with excellent communication throughout the process--the point is, and was (above), tritium replacement is essentially not worth worrying about--it can be done, both by Ball and by others, and it can be done both easily and well.
    bmfang and Dogbert_is_fat like this.
    Less is More...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information