Voyager GMT Power Reserve expected 2morrow

Thread: Voyager GMT Power Reserve expected 2morrow

Banned

Voyager GMT Power Reserve expected 2morrow

Hello All,

this is a great forum and Ball is a great company and watch. I have a Voyager GMT power reserve on the way to complement my Trainmaster Cleveland Express.

I just read some posts about the original Night Train GMT not being a true GMT as the GMT hand could not be set independently of the hour hand. Is this true of the Voyager GMT or is it a true GMT?

Also, is this watch really a limited edition?

Appreciate your comments on the details and in general.

All the best, EJ

Re: Voyager GMT Power Reserve expected 2morrow

You said:

I just read some posts about the original Night Train GMT not being a true GMT as the GMT hand could not be set independently of the hour hand. Is this true of the Voyager GMT or is it a true GMT?

That's a good question related to your model but I'm not sure what you mean by true GMT.

IMHO, a true GMT movement would have the quickset on the main hour hand only. GMT doesn't change - ever. Only your local reference to local time changes. Why would you adjust the GMT hand?

When I travel, both the hour and GMT hands are set to local time which in my case is Phoenix AZ or GMT - 7. If you're a pilot, you'd likely leave the GMT hand on GMT time.

When I land in ATL, I would like to set the main hour hand to GMT - 5. The GMT hand remains on GMT - 7.

If I'm on the way to Sao Paulo, I'd reset the main hour hand to GMT - 2 at some point on the way to SP.

The GMT hand remains on PHX time and the main hand is set to local time - which makes more sense to me when traveling. It's easier to tell time on the main hands and for reference, the GMT hand stays on home time for me.

At least with my Ball GMT, you can't set the main hour hand w/o stopping the watch which doesn't make sense to me.... why (other than for technical reasons, patents, economics, etc) would a watchmaker make a watch where the GMT hand moves? GMT, in other words, never changes!

There are a limited number of watchmakers that have access to what a lot of people call a true GMT movement....Rolex, Omega, some Seikos, Citizens, etc have the quickset hour hand with a stationary GMT hand. There are others also...

The Ball GMT's are useful for tracking a second timezone and while definitions vary, I'm not sure that calling them a GMT is correct...more like 'second time zone'.

I know ... I'm picky...and old....and cranky some days.

(Disclaimer - I actually wouldn't wear my Ball or any other mid-to-high level watch to Brazil. Instead, I wear a Pathfinder which won't hurt as badly if I'm robbed or assaulted there! Crime can be an issue so it's better to be prudent than sorry.)
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Baume & Mercier Worldtimer, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, IWC Aquatimer Chrono Blue & Orange,Omega SMP, Rolex Gmt-Master II BNLR, Tag Heuer Monaco Gulf Special, Zenith El Primero Stratos Flyback Striking 10th

A true GMT is as Gerry described and Omega has the rights to this complication within the ETA world.

The Ball GMT's are true 2 time zone watches, and I have one set to my office (east coast) and the GMT had to my partner on the west coast.

Since GMT is constant, a pilot for instance, would never change the GMT, but will change the other hand for different local time zones.

The NightTrain displays the time in standard and military time, but for one time zone.

Congratulations on you great purchase.
    kind regards,

scott

vintage and obscure watch lover

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Yep, I understand the GMT complication (or is it?) on the Omega and Rolex GMT's. On the Voyager, the 24-hour hand (a better name than GMT hand as k7lro stated) is a smaller hand unattached to the "home" hour and minute hand.

To more clearly state the questions:

1) is the Voyager local hour hand independently settable from the minute hand so that when traveling local time can be changed while the 24-hour hand stays set on my home time?

EJ

No. The local hour hand is tied to the minute hand. In watches that use ETA or ETA based movements, only Omega is allowed to have it as you have described.

So the hour and minute hand works as they would on any traditional watch, and you also have an independently adjustable 24 hour hand, which is the reverse of Omega/Rolex.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugszy27 View Post
    Yep, I understand the GMT complication (or is it?) on the Omega and Rolex GMT's. On the Voyager, the 24-hour hand (a better name than GMT hand as k7lro stated) is a smaller hand unattached to the "home" hour and minute hand.

To more clearly state the questions:

1) is the Voyager local hour hand independently settable from the minute hand so that when traveling local time can be changed while the 24-hour hand stays set on my home time?

EJ
    kind regards,

scott

vintage and obscure watch lover

Quote Originally Posted by scottw44 View Post
    No. The local hour hand is tied to the minute hand. In watches that use ETA or ETA based movements, only Omega is allowed to have it as you have described.
    Good discussion guys -

Scott - I wonder how hard it would be to modify a Ball GMT movement to act in the same manner as an Omega? I know they have the patent but isn't Omega version a modified ETA? I wonder how "modified" we're talking about? Or are they two completely different animals or could a skilled watchmaker swap out a couple of key parts to make the mod?

(Yeah yeah yeah - I should just go buy an Omega - but I really like my Ball Hydrocarbon. I've said it before - if it had a true GMT, it would be the perfect watch. I consider it to be about 90% perfect now - from design to weight to toughness... all it lacks is a "true" GMT movement.)
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Baume & Mercier Worldtimer, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, IWC Aquatimer Chrono Blue & Orange,Omega SMP, Rolex Gmt-Master II BNLR, Tag Heuer Monaco Gulf Special, Zenith El Primero Stratos Flyback Striking 10th

Quote Originally Posted by Mugszy27 View Post
    Also, is this watch really a limited edition?
    EJ, yes, it is limited to 333 pieces worldwide. So, you have an awesome looking piece that is very limited and now out of production, which makes it rare, IMO! Where did you find it if I may ask, and is it the black dial or white dial? I've only seen the white dial once before in FS forum, and I was sooooo tempted to grab it. Kind of wish I had, in hindsight. Anyway, some pics would be great, if you have the time.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

Banned

Timewaster, I bought the watch at AboutTime (ref watchfan1's current post on his new watch). I'll send you a PM with some other information.

Thread Information