Warranty Stories
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By umarrajs
  • 1 Post By timefleas

Thread: Warranty Stories

Warranty Stories

For me, a big factor in making a purchase decision is the manufacturer warranty and how the manufacturer handles the warranty claim: do they honor the claim, put up roadblocks, is the process easy or difficult, and so on. The bottom line is whether the manufacturer stands behind its product. How does Ball measure up?

Re: Warranty Stories

I had a very positive recent experience regarding warranty repair with Ball.
    I received instruction and details within 24 hours (from HQ in Switzerland) regarding where to ship my watch.

Ball Watch Company has been pro-active in having techs at multiple locations in U.S. and Canada trained and certified for working on Ball watches and the turn-around is about 2 months or less. The exception is the World-timer for which the only repair location at present in North America is Time Innovations LLC in N.Y.C.

Previously, the Worldtimers were shipped by U.S. dealers to Switzerland for servicing.
    Miked6 likes this.
    " Two mighty torches of flame like the wings of a yellow bird of fire flew over a field, covered a field with a brilliant yellow bloomings of flame, and in the midst of it, white as a ghost, white as the white of Melville's Moby Dick, white as the shrine of the Madonna in half the churches of the world, this slim angelic mysterious ship of stages rose without sound out of its incarnantion of flame and began to ascend slowly into the sky, slow as Melville's Leviathan might swim, slowly as we might swim upward in a dream looking for the air............."

Norman Mailer describing the lift-off of Apollo 11.

I bought a watch on pre-order direct from Ball. When the watch shipped, it was sent to me through the Ball USA distributor. The watch had a defect that required warranty service. I took it to my local AD (lucky for me there's one 15 minutes away). They took in the watch and handled the repair for me by sending it to Switzerland via Ball USA. I had to pay $50 for the shipping because the Ball dealer had not sold me the watch. I understood that because they had made no money on the deal and shouldn't be on the hook for shipping. I had the option of shipping and insuring it myself, but I opted to pay and have the dealer take care of everything for me. It took a bit over 12 weeks, but I got it back with the issue repaired. I much preferred to have the dealer handle the entire process rather than deal with it myself.

In the end, part of the delay in getting it back was that the dealer had closed for several weeks for a complete renovation of their store during the latter part of the repair period when I had expected the watch back. Just an unfortunate timing. Once they reopened I was able to retrieve my watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Actual coverage of watches under a Ball warranty is pretty much what you would expect in the industry--they cover most things, they do it right, and they take a long time in doing it. One thing that buyers should keep in mind is that, also like many brands, their warranties are NOT transferable to secondary buyers--that is about the only thing to be mindful about--a used watch, or a watch bought from gray market non-AD, will NOT come with an enforceable Ball warranty. That being said, I have had a few Ball watches serviced by Ball, off warranty, and their rates and service were better than most. No issues there.
    Dogbert_is_fat likes this.
    Here today, here tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by ColFlashman View Post
    For me, a big factor in making a purchase decision is the manufacturer warranty and how the manufacturer handles the warranty claim: do they honor the claim, put up roadblocks, is the process easy or difficult, and so on. The bottom line is whether the manufacturer stands behind its product. How does Ball measure up?
    Ball Watch was pretty much on the ball.

I bought my watch through a pre-order and it wasn’t working when I got the watch. So I contacted Ball Watch (Swiss) and was told to register it first and then send it to my local distributor.

Everything was taken care of and I got my watch back after about three weeks. It keeps time better than COSC and is within a second a day.

Exceeded all my expectations.

Warranty Stories

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    One thing that buyers should keep in mind is that, also like many brands, their warranties are NOT transferable to secondary buyers--that is about the only thing to be mindful about--a used watch, or a watch bought from gray market non-AD, will NOT come with an enforceable Ball warranty..
    True, and good on you for flagging this early

They have always taken care of me if I had an issues with one of their watches.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

My experience with my watch and Ball's warranty was mixed. While they ultimately made it right by replacing the defective watch, the experience left me concerned with the competence of both their QC (if they even have any) and their customer service people who had trouble identifying who their ADs were. Based on this and their nearly non-existent presence of ADs in the US, I don't think I'll be buying another Ball.

You can read more about my experience here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f239/2...l-5038145.html
    OMEGA Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch 3572.50
    Defective Ball Engineer Master II Marvelight, white dial, filled with moisture
    Zeppelin LZ129 7060-4

Thread Information