Watch Design Philosophy--Ball Watch Company vs. Raymond Weil Watch Company

Thread: Watch Design Philosophy--Ball Watch Company vs. Raymond Weil Watch Company

heb

Watch Design Philosophy--Ball Watch Company vs. Raymond Weil Watch Company

Hello,
    I recently purchased an RW "Parsifal"; beautiful gray dial, it will be my "Datejust". After examining it for 4 minutes, it brought about a natural, and obvious, comparison to my BALL Engineer Hydrocarbon II diver (no longer made). I am not picture capable and am too lazy to post stock pictures, but they are not necessary for this "review".

I purchased the Ball a couple of years ago, and like the RW, it was bought from an authorized dealer. Given the usual dealer discount, both watches are within a few dollars of each other. That one is a sports diver watch and the other is not, is also not important for my "review".

Ball Wristwatch Design Philosophy:

The Ball Company took a...say, $2K concept, and turned it into a wristwatch that is easily worth 2X that, and given today's foolish retail pricing from a number of watch companies, probably more like 3X, and even 4X.

Raymond Weil Wristwatch Design Philosopy:

The Raymond Weil Company took a $2k concept, and turned it into a $200 Fossil wristwatch. This is especially true of its ostantatious bracelet and its too highly polished links amoungst the major "brushed" stainless steel ones which resemble sandpapered aluminum.

Disclaimer: Please understand that the above comparison is my subjective one and of course, somewhat unfair, because I say nothing about movements, or other functionalities which certainly are as important as looks (although "looks" is exactly what I am talking about here). Also, I haven't even worn the RW yet and will not do so for 10 days.

heb

Re: Watch Design Philosophy--Ball Watch Company vs. Raymond Weil Watch Company

From a purely aesthetic perspective i find RW reasonably appealing, particularly the Freelancer chrono and the the titanium and carbon fiber Nabucco chrono. The Parsifal is far from ugly as well so if the conversation ends there i say theres a reasonable basis for comparison. As you would expect from a frequent contributor to the Ball forum i have a level of affection for BWC that far surpasses my appreciation for the deign ethos of RW. Interesting designs but somewhat overpriced and in no way comparable to Ball overall.

Thread Information