Watch Winders

Thread: Watch Winders

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Watch Winders

Still getting familiar with this forum and all, but have found I need help. I have done the search thing regarding watch winders and have given myself a headache trying to determine what may be the best type/manufacturer to purchase. Some educated advise would be very helpful and greatly appreciated. I plan on ending up with a winder that can wind 3 watches, and have some storage for additional non-automatic models. Plan on two Ball watches and a Baum & Mercier.

With the variations in winder rotation and programming, what would be a moderate, maybe mid 100s, winder setup. Suggestions and recommendations based on past experience would be very much appreciated.

1 Ball in hand and 1 in the works. 2 B&M models inHand also.

Thanks,
    Hank

Re: Watch Winders

I just won an Orbita triple winder and the thing is just superlative. Totally adjustable tpd, totally silent operation, and a beautiful piece of work. The msrp is about 2 grand though. I also have an Orbita sparta mini which sells for around $150 but the tpd is not adjustable and is around 850. I also have used cheaper winders but one has to be careful. I don't want to get verbose here but you can pm me if you'd like detail.

congrats NS on your win at the GTG!
    kind regards,

scott

vintage and obscure watch lover

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Winders seem to be a subject of ongoing debate. I personally think that, like with most things, you tend to get what you pay for in a winder. But even fairly decent winders just seem SO expensive for something that is not that complicated in function. In any event, I'm also looking for a 2 or 3 watch winder Hank, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Battery operated is my preference (or at least the option), and I'm willing to sacrifice quietness for a better price, if such a trade off is part of the consideration.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

As many of you may know I used to be the Engineering Manager for Pratt & Whitney United Technologies dealing with the hot section of jet engine turbines in the manufacturing sector both military and commercial. I also have 13+ patents dealing with various jet engine technologies. My point to these comments is that I consider myself somewhat a mechanical person and before we brought in a particular brand of watch winder I did alot of research to see what was the best value and why. Needless to say we support ORBITA. They really make a fantastic product that has time and time again run without issues for me and al my customers. The owner of Orbita is Charles “Chuck” Agnoff who is an engineer himself and we are personal friends with him (great guy). I have NEVER heard a complaint about an Orbita winder and the customer service from this company is second to none!

If you need any assistance with these winders please feel free to call me at 949-429-4290 or email me at [email protected] or you can see them here...

http://www.abouttime.com/abouttime/orbita.invtc.html

I have several winders, from cheapies, a few Wolfs, and thanx to Steve, an Orbita.

The Orbita far and away does the best job. It is the most quiet, and the watches keep their best time on the Orbita.

I like the Sparta models very much...to me, it just seems like a gentler way to go. I have the Ball Private Label Model which is the Orbita Prestige.

They are not the cheapest but will go a long way.
    Last edited by scottw44; November 26th, 2008 at 03:38.
    kind regards,

scott

Thumbs Up Re: Watch Winders

Quote Originally Posted by scottw44 View Post
    I have several winders, from cheapies, a few Wolfs, and thanx to Steve, an Orbita.

The Orbita far and away does the best job. It is the most quiet, and the watches keep their best time on the Orbita.

I like the Sparta models very much...to me, it just seems like a gentler way to go. I have the Ball Private Label Model which is the Orbita Prestige.

They are not the cheapest but will go a long way.
    Thanks all. What you provided was very specific, so I have decided on an Orbita. I may have an opportunity to pick up a new 6 watch unit at a very reasonable price. More then I wanted, but it leaves room for expansion.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving.

Hank

A six winder. WOW!!! Keep us posted. Also, Orbita has an outlet store link on their site.
    kind regards,

scott

I have used some of the cheaper brands for the last several years and I manage them with a timer, set the turns per day and then the timer cuts off power for the remainder... Not elegant but it works!

However, I am looking at this brand, which is totally programmable via USB and reasonable for what it is, the most is a 4 watch, which would work for me for my nicest ones...

Check these out!

http://www.windmywatch.com/rotolution/flash/index.htm

If you get a "failed to connect" just click try again and it works...
    Current Rotation:
    Rolex Submariner "K" Serial
    Rolex SeaDweller
    The Beast - Casio GPW1000-4AJF

Hmmm...interesting. Website was a little annoying with too much unnecessary flash, but the product appears to be good quality, and I really like the idea of programming the precise TPD via computer software. Says it operates on DC, so it works off batteries, which is nice. But what's a little unclear is whether you need your computer hooked up to it the whole time? I would think not - and hope not. Price is better than Orbita, but still more than I want to pay right now. Might be worth the price if its as good as looks, but nonetheless, more of a "some day" winder for me.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information