What is the Best Traveling Watch Winder for Ball?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What is the Best Traveling Watch Winder for Ball?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is the Best Traveling Watch Winder for Ball?

Hi guys! I am FINALLY getting ready to get my second dream Ball (currently have a EHC Spacemaster XLume, hoping to get a dressier Trainmaster Moon Phase soon)!
    I wear my Xlume 24/7, so I have never needed (or even paid much attention to) winders.
    Any suggestions on a winder that works good for your Ball watch (bonus points for one that can travel easily)? ALSO, which setting works best for keeping your Ball wound well (TPD? CW/CCW/Both?, etc.)
    I will probably always be wearing one of the two - so a single winder (that is beefy enough to handle an XLume) is fine, BUT will get a double-winder if the options are better.
    Thanks in advance!!

Re: What is the Best Traveling Watch Winder for Ball?

My wrist--I only carry one with me, and wear it pretty much 24/7, excluding showers and other water related activities. At home my winders are on "all position, all direction, maximum movement", and they stay spot on--I have other brands of watches, so these settings cover them all--can't help in the portable winder department.
    Big Daddy J likes this.
    Less is More...

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    My wrist--I only carry one with me, and wear it pretty much 24/7, excluding showers and other water related activities. At home my winders are on "all position, all direction, maximum movement", and they stay spot on--I have other brands of watches, so these settings cover them all--can't help in the portable winder department.
    Thanks Timefleas - When you say "maximum movement", do I have to worry about overwinding the watch? I found a reference for winders for Ball. For the Xlume, it said 600 TPD both-direction recommended. Nothing listed for the TM Moon Phase, but the TM Moon Special said 800 TPD CW only. I don't care if I get the precise turns recommended, just nervous that some that I was researching(going like 1,800 TPD) might hurt my watch. Am I concerned over nothing?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You really can't over wind automatic watches (as long as it is functioning properly, and the tension isn't stupendous, which is quite unlikely on a winder)--in simple terms, they are built to achieve maximum reserve and simply let the rest slide by--there is a mechanism to let any further tension to be released, or simply slip. For example, you wind your watch when you first purchase it, or after it has sat around dormant for awhile--some people wind 40 times, others twice that--you could do much more, and it would simply max out, with no further tension applied after it has maxed out. (And, what amounts to a "wind" differs from person to person--I have owned several power reserves, and find that in the way that I wind, it takes about 75 winds to take a watch from zero to max--so that is what I use for any automatic I own, of whatever brand--no issues--others use different amounts, and again, no issues). Of course this is NOT true of manual winds, which do depend on spring tightness, where there is no overage slippage mechanism and can be broken if too much tension is applied.
    Big Daddy J likes this.

Thanks so much for the help & explanation! If overwinding isn`t likely, that opens up a bunch of options for me, including a couple of travel models that I saw while browsing around! Thanks again!
    I have never hand-wound my XLume (although I do wiggle my arm around on days that I am lazy & just sit around watching TV on the couch! ), so this is good info.

TF is correct. Your hand/arm is your best winder on a consistent basis.
    Big Daddy J likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks Nokie! Keeping on 24/7 has always worked fine for me.
    The problem is, when I got my Spacemaster XLume 2 years ago, it was a REAL tough decision between the XLume and the (slightly dressier & slightly less rugged) Trainmaster Moon Phase. (I know that Ball has several Moon watches out, including their brand-new offering with the tide bezel - but none of them really ever appealed to me like that beautiful blue-faced TM did!) I am finally in a position to both get the second watch, and have an opportunity to dress up a bit more with it.
    I imagine that the XLume will still get the lion's share of wrist time, but don't want to wind & reset the MP every time that I want to wear it.
    Up until now, I never had to worry about watch winders, but getting to have two Balls makes the new interest a GOOD thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy J View Post
    Am I concerned over nothing?
    Basically, yes 😉

You won't have any problem with the winder moving your watch too much, it will always be much less than a full day on your wrist!

I use 40 € double winders from Amazon on very different watches without any problem. Even a kinetic manages to stay wound. I wouldn't travel with one of them though.
    Big Daddy J likes this.

I set my winder to go in both directions on the minimum setting which is 650 turns per day. That seems to work fine. The ones I get are a brand called Chiyoda. They are cheap, quiet, attractive, and so far reliable. I've had them for several years with no problems. You can get them from Amazon.
    Big Daddy J likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce R View Post
    I set my winder to go in both directions on the minimum setting which is 650 turns per day. That seems to work fine. The ones I get are a brand called Chiyoda. They are cheap, quiet, attractive, and so far reliable. I've had them for several years with no problems. You can get them from Amazon.
    Thanks much for the advice, Bruce - the folks on this forum are so dang helpful!!
    I actually order a Chiyoda single-winder from Amazon last night - it has lots of good reviews (both user & online articles).

The BONUS was since it was so much less expensive than the Wolf winder that I was eyeing (before I found out from here that precise daily-turn count isn't as important that some mfrs state), I was also able to pick-up a Diplomat travel winder - both combined cost less than the Wolf winder!

Not sure if the Diplomat will be any good (not too many reviews on it), but for under $80, I figured that it's worth a gamble.

Everybody's observation above is correct, normally you wouldn't need a travel winder (just wear the watch on your wrist), but I do so business travel where I can see wearing both the XLume (for rugged inspection work), and the Moon Phase (for meetings & business dinners) in the same trip period. Of course, the XLume is a nice enough diver-style watch that you could easily get away with wearing with suits (James Bond style), but the Trainmaster Moon Phase will definitely "class me up" a bit better!
    Thanks again for all the info & advice guys - you rock!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information