What does T, T25, T100 etc stand for?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What does T, T25, T100 etc stand for?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What does T, T25, T100 etc stand for?

I have been looking more and more closely at my watch and other Ball timepieces and I have noticed this T, or T25 or T100. My black dial Aviator GMT says T SWISS MADE, where I have seen a creme dial Aviator GMT on here that says T100, and other ball watches that say either T25 or T100.

What does it mean? Why is mine just T with no number?

Re: What does T, T25, T100 etc stand for?

The T100 dials are a misprint. What the #'s refer to is the amount of gas in each tube (called millicures).

T25 watches have 25 millicures of gas in the tubes. T rated tubes are higher, in the case of the NT and some other Ball models, I believe around 65 millicures of gas.

The Aviator series has just under 100 millicures of gas.

Hope this helps.
    kind regards,

scott

vintage and obscure watch lover

T and T25 are more or less the same thing. It is just that watch company do not want to state the amount use or to fit in to their dial design so they use T only.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't believe T and T25 are the same. T25 means up to 25 mCi of tritium in the tubes, while T means more than T25 mCi of tritium. I think T means basically the same thing as T100, which means more than 25 mCi, but less than 100 mCi.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by iceheller View Post
    T and T25 are more or less the same thing. It is just that watch company do not want to state the amount use or to fit in to their dial design so they use T only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timewaster View Post
    I don't believe T and T25 are the same. T25 means up to 25 mCi of tritium in the tubes, while T means more than T25 mCi of tritium. I think T means basically the same thing as T100, which means more than 25 mCi, but less than 100 mCi.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Well my memory may be not as good as before...But this is what i recall reading years back from FHS website.

<The indication "T Swiss made T" means that the watch is Swiss and contains a certain quantity of tritium that emits less than 227 MBq (7,5 mCi).The indication "Swiss T<25" means that the watch is Swiss and contains a certain quantity of tritium that emits less than 925 MBq (25 mCi).>

Not sure where you get the info that T is more than T25 and T is as good as T100. I only briefly mention T and T25 are "MORE or LESS" the same thing and not 'exactly the same thing" as they are not that great difference in amount of tritium use. Maybe I should elaborate more which one is higher and which one is lesser even though the fold increase in amount of tritium used in T and T25 is not more than 5.
    But be careful what you buy dude if you think T is more than T25 or matter of fact T is same as T100. The amount of tritium use in T is deffinitely way much less compare to T100. Different watch maker like to print different things on the dial but they sure must follow the FHS rules and sometime watch maker just deliberately make the slight mistake so to make their watch looks nicer. Cheers.

I've gotten the sense that "T" vs "T25" vs "T100" actually means something to Ball that it doesn't mean to any other watch manufacturer.

T25 Ball watches have 25mCi or less of tritium.
    T Ball watches have over 25mCi of tritium.
    T100 Ball watches approach 100mCi of tritium.

I know that Ball has said that T100 is a misprint. I'm not buying it. You don't have a misprint on at least 3 different models (Aviator, Aviator GMT, and Trieste).

Other brands (example: the new Doxa 800Ti) have less than 25mCi, yet their dials say simply "T" to designate tritium. (Doxa says its to designate it as "taucher," which really doesn't make sense since none of my non-tritium Doxas say "T")

Rob

I think you should check my earlier post and then refer back to FHS website dude. Cheers.

But no offense to Mr roberev and Timewaster. We are all supporter and fans of BALL watch. Just here to share info. My info from FHs website maybe out-dated. Who knows. But as i last check on MB-microtec website-

>The mb-microtec ag trigalight is available as raw light source, as well as built into the watch hands and watch dials provided by you.
    The activity per watch should not exceed 0.925 GBq / 25 mCi.
    (Max. 0.555 GBq / 15 mCi for the lights on dial and bezel,
    or max.0.370 GBq / 10 mCi for the hand lights).

Do watches with mb-microtec ag trigalight® require special markings?
    Yes, the marking “T” for tritium is required on the face. mb-microtec ag reserves the right to insist on certain identification marks on the back of the watch. >

So T25 should ideally means less than 25mCi so T and T25 are more or less the same thing.
    Last edited by iceheller; December 14th, 2008 at 07:05. Reason: More info

This is a great discussion, that demonstrates that we all still don't have the precise answer to the question posed by AFBLUE.

The Ball Engineer Master II Classic and Ball Night Train have approximately 65mCi tritium, yet they have "T" printed on the dial, not "T25". This means that, as far as Ball watches are concerned, "T25" cannot mean 25mCi or less.

Again, the "T" and "T25" designations on Ball watches apparently are not consistent with other brands that use mb-microtec GTLS tubes.

I surmise that there are two possible reasons: 1) Ball has specially contracted with mb-microtec to make high mCi tubes to be used exclusively on Ball watches and specifically identifies the millicurie range on its dials; and/or 2) Ball is following the letter of U.S. NRC regulations or the specific requirements of Ball's importation permit, which govern identification of tritium content on the dial.

In sum, the answer appears to be:

1) If it's a Ball watch, "T" means more than 25mCi (like the EMII Classic and Night Train). Ball already has made this clear in prior posts.

2) If it's not a Ball watch, "T" means 25mCi or less, as Iceheller states. Of course, this must be the case as no one sells watches with greater than 25mCi . . . no one, that is, except Ball.

Rob

Hi,

I am the License holder of the NRC permit for Ball Watch USA that allows importation of Tritium dials. Dan Hall, VP of Ball Watch USA, myself CEO of Ball Watch USA and my wife Katrina Hess (she is person of record), all had to take classes to become what they call "Radiation Safety Officers" to facilitate importation.

It is the NRC that makes the rules. Not us.

T25 means "up to 25 MC", "T" means "up to" 100 MC.

A T25 watch could have 24.9 mC and a T watch could have 25.1 MC. Most "T" watches of course have much more than 25 MC. There are no licensing provisions for more that 100 MC.

This is the information provided to us by the NRC. This is what we have been told. Dan Hall, our VP who is kind of an expert on this will expound on this tomorrow time permitting.

Jeff Hess
    Last edited by jhess; December 14th, 2008 at 23:21.
    Dan83bz likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information