what made you buy a Ball?

Thread: what made you buy a Ball?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

what made you buy a Ball?

not sure if its been discussed but im just curious as to why you chose Ball over a similar priced watches?

For me it seemed like the quality is right up there with watches more expensive. I also like watches that are not as "mainstream". Ive never been a fan of over advertised brand names. I wear a watch because I like it......not because some movie star wears it in an ad. Another reason I drooled over a ball was the lume. Nothing better than waking up in the middle of the night and having to turn the watch away from you on the night stand because you cant get back to sleep because you are staring at the watch all night.
    Last edited by Agusta02; December 31st, 2008 at 02:59.

Re: what made you buy a Ball?

Initially I was drawn to the lume of the Ball, no other watch is like Ball. Once I went into the store and took a look at them and had a chance to hold and feel them, it was all over.

I purchased an Engineer Hydrocarbon Chronograph for the following reasons:

In order of priority:

1) Tough (and cool) - titanium case
    2) Antimagnetic (I work around MRI machines occassionally)
    3) Tritium illumination (no battery)
    4) Mechanical - no electronics (no battery)
    5) Chronograph functions
    6) Autowinder

Basically I was looking for a watch that I don't have to worry about. It can take a beating and doesn't require a battery to be replaced. I like low maintenance products. (The one concession I made is the cleaning every couple of years that a mechanical will likely need)

One can usually find any number of watches that have any 5 of the 6 criteria, but very few that had all 6. And the ones that did (I think there were 2) cost about the same as the Ball and nowhere near the reputation.

Hopefully Ball will come out with an even tougher watch. I will purchase that one as well if they do. - At first glance a 7500 g shock seems like a lot, but when I read that basically the watch won't survive a 2 meter drop onto concrete disappointed me a little. Hopefully they could better in this area in the future. The antimagnetic spec. of 12000 A/m is reasonable, but nowhere near some of the Sinn Diapal models (i.e. 757) that spec. 80000 A/m. I wonder what Sinn does differently? If Sinn did tritium illumination, I might well have had one of those instead of the Ball... They (Sinn) have 5 year warranty. They are very comparable, otherwise, in my opinion.

But now that I have a Ball, I would never sell it (which is a good thing, since their warranty is non-transferable)
    Last edited by older-than-dirt; December 31st, 2008 at 03:51.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have to be frank here, i buy my first ball watch because it not cheap and yet cheaper compare to other overly advertise watch. I had a Tag before that. Then is found out more about the company history though it disconnected for a few years but not totally out of business. I like BALL delication of supporting '"great" people/historian in their quest for finding/breaking new frontial.

I buyed it because...it's tha better watch in the world!!!

Stong,practic,nice,cool, with the better lume...not too mutch expansive

I have a diver cosc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved Luminox watches and own several. I wanted a more high end watch with the tritium tubes.
    Enter BALL.
    Instantly fell in love with them! The rest is as they history.
    That was over 3 years ago.
    Anonimo
    Chronoscopio AMG Special Edition
    Militare Chrono Ox-Pro Edition II
    Aquadive BS300
    RESCO ​Patriot
    Panerai 177 "The Stephanie"
    Sinn U1, 104 blue face
    Seiko SBDX014, SBBN013, SRP043K,
    Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver
    Casio G-Shock:GWG-1000-1A3, GD-100MS-1
    Vintage Jaeger LeCoultre, REVERSO 976, Navy Seal and Universal Geneve
    "Time is too precious to keep it on an inexpensive watch"

For me it is the combination of tritium lume, quality mechanical movements, styling, and a true faithfulness to Webb Ball's theme of "Accuracy Under Adverse Conditions."

Great customer support and a fantastic AD network have been an unexpected bonus.

Rob
    Last edited by roberev; January 11th, 2009 at 22:58.

I've been intrigued by Ball for a long time and always wanted to add one to my collection. Tough, unique (not only do most people not recognize them for what they are, very few have actually heard of Ball Watch. Those who do recognize them truly appreciate them), great designs, and of course, the lume. I knew about Ball's service not only from reading about it but I emailed a question to them a while back and received a personal answer almost immediately.

I almost bought a(nother) Breitling but decided to stop by a local Ball dealer first and it was all over. Went home with a new Engineer Master II Moonphase (black dial on bracelet) along with a Hamilton Khaki King Scuba automatic (got a good deal buying both) . Looking forward to my next Ball. It won't be long.

LL

Quote Originally Posted by roberev View Post
    For me it is the combination of tritium lume, quality mechanical movements, styling, and a true faithfulness to Webb Ball's theme of "Accuracy Under Adverse Conditions."

Great customer support and a fantastic AD network has been an unexpected bonus.

Rob
    Same here

To keep it simple, I'd say: 1. design(s); 2. value; 3. extremely interesting history; and 4. dedication to quality and service. Probably in that order, but all are pretty close for me. I also really appreciate and admire the fact that Ball releases new models throughout the year, and not just at Baselworld. It keeps Ball enthusists like me on my toes (or should I say, on the ball ) and always checking these sites for news and developments.

Regards,
    -Jeff
    Trivia question of the month:
    The history of the Baselworld Watch and Jewellery Show dates back to what year, when there was established the first Schweizer Mustermesse Basel (MUBA) with a special section devoted to watches and jewellery?
    ~Click on my profile and look under my biography for the answer.
    Quote of the month:
    "Give me the perfect oil and I'll make the perfect watch."
    ~ Abraham-Louis Breguet

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information