What is your frequency of resetting/adjust your Ball watch ?

Thread: What is your frequency of resetting/adjust your Ball watch ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    freefall7

What is your frequency of resetting/adjust your Ball watch ?

Hi all...

I bought my Engineer Master Diver II about a month ago.
    I found that on every week, the watch is off by close to 2 mins.
    Well, the manual stated that the watch will be off 1~2 mins after
    each week depending on the way you wear your watch.
    So, does it means my watch is alright ?

Appreciate if someone can enlighten me. Thanks

Re: What is your frequency of resetting/adjust your Ball watch ?

Your watch is just fine.

A watch that keeps time between -10 to +15 per day is considered normal for most watches except those that are COSC certified. A mechanical watch is going to have some variations on timekeeping over the course of ownership.

Some people say that movements and watches in general take a few months of use from new to settle into their "normal" timekeeping. Additionally some members have found that placing their watch a certain way at night, i.e. crown down, face down, crown up, etc, will have an effect on the accuracy as it may gain a second by being crown up, or lose 2 seconds face down.

Myself, I put on a watch and wear it 24/7. I adjust my watches monthly when the calender needs to be reset.

Also make sure you are using the same method of tracking your time. Using a computer CPU is not an accurate way to measure most of the time. I would recommend using time.gov to keep tract of timing.

But your watch seems to be working within specifications. If it continues to bother you, any competent watchmaker could open it up and adjust it for you, to get the timing more precise.
    Last edited by obie; August 16th, 2007 at 15:52.

freefall7

Hi Obie..

Thank you so much for your information.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great advice from Obie. I'm happy with anything less than +15/day. Especially when new, watches tend to run a tad fast and will settle down over the first year (or 2). Many watchmakers consider a new watch that runs +10 or +15 to be perfect, as they know that over the life of the watch it will settle in to near perfect values. As long as the deviation is reletively consistent, there isn't anything wrong.

If your watch runs +2 for a few days, then loses or gains 2 minutes in 24 hrs, then there could be other issues to discuss.

My Ball Alligator is currently my most accurate automatic (tied with my Sinn 103 St Sa), running approx +1 day.

I checked mine this morning.

One week after being set to the Atomic Clock:
    1) The EMII Classic is 5 seconds fast. It's been on my Sharper Image Winder all week.
    2) The Trainmaster L&I is 13 seconds fast. It has been worn once and on my Orbita winder the rest of the time.

I can't complain!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    That is outstanding performance from non-COSC rated watches!!!
    This is just one of the reasons that I've been singing Ball's praises for months!

Rob

Why is it always someone elses' Ball is more accurate than mine?
    Mine was quite consistantly fast for 6s daily, adjusted twice but similar result achieved.
    Back to the questions, I normally adjust my 'mad cow' once a month.

My Fireman is out by about a minute at the end of a week, but it's no big deal to me as I rarely wear the same watch for more than 4 or 5 days before it goes back on the wardrobe shelf. The exception is when I'm overseas for a couple of weeks at a stretch, as the Fireman is my usual OS travel watch (dressy enough but not flashy, okay for casual wear, and that awesome GTLS for night viewing).

Since it uses a popular movement that any jeweler worth his salt ought to be comfortable with, I should have it adjusted; no doubt we could get it spot-on accurate. Maybe tomorrow I'll do that.
    Steve

I normally wear my everyday but I was in another part of the world for the last week where I didn't feel it was appropriate so I left it on the winder.

I checked the time this morning when I got home - it was about 18 second slow over the last 8-days.

I'm pretty happy.
    Last edited by k7lro; August 19th, 2007 at 21:50.
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Baume & Mercier Worldtimer, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, IWC Aquatimer Chrono Blue & Orange,Omega SMP, Rolex Gmt-Master II BNLR, Tag Heuer Monaco Gulf Special, Zenith El Primero Stratos Flyback Striking 10th

I just got my HC "Mad Cow" last week, its 15 seconds fast in just under a week.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information