Where are the 904L models?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Where are the 904L models?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Member ApacheDriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Aloha State
    Posts
    2,229

    Where are the 904L models?

    Saw these on the pre-order site a while ago but never pulled the trigger. Any hitting the streets yet?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    59

    Re: Where are the 904L models?

    The Icebreaker? Scheduled for delivery Jan-Feb

  3. #3
    Member Kivis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    54

    Re: Where are the 904L models?

    What's the advantage of the 904L steel?
    kivis
    Watch guy

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    289

    Re: Where are the 904L models?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivis View Post
    What's the advantage of the 904L steel?
    Corrosion resistance and polishing specularity. Additonally it's what Rolex uses. The disadvantage is it's harder to work with as far as manufacturing.

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    108

    Re: Where are the 904L models?

    Quote Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
    Corrosion resistance and polishing specularity. Additonally it's what Rolex uses. The disadvantage is it's harder to work with as far as manufacturing.
    I also heard that 904L is also slightly more prone to scratches.
    trappster and Rolexplorer like this.

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    108

    Re: Where are the 904L models?

    Quote Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
    Corrosion resistance and polishing specularity. Additonally it's what Rolex uses. The disadvantage is it's harder to work with as far as manufacturing.
    I also heard that 904L is also slightly more prone to scratches.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    289

    Re: Where are the 904L models?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReticulatedPython View Post
    I also heard that 904L is also slightly more prone to scratches.
    However the corrosion resistance is the primary reason it's used. It keeps the movement dry for the long run.

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    108

    Re: Where are the 904L models?

    Quote Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
    However the corrosion resistance is the primary reason it's used. It keeps the movement dry for the long run.
    I am however curious why some Ball watches state that they uses 904L but others do not, you would think Ball would use it either for all models or none.

  10. #9
    Member Champagne InHand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    861

    Re: Where are the 904L models?

    They had a couple at Gnomon. I’m not a huge fan of 904 steel.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    289

    Re: Where are the 904L models?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReticulatedPython View Post
    I am however curious why some Ball watches state that they uses 904L but others do not, you would think Ball would use it either for all models or none.
    Simply they do not; 316 is a great material and is the most used steel for making watches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Champagne InHand View Post
    They had a couple at Gnomon. I’m not a huge fan of 904 steel.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Curious as to what your objections are, please explain. I've owned a bunch of 904L cased watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •