Why 21mm?

Thread: Why 21mm?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why 21mm?

I just don't get that. Everyone knows the industry standard lug widths for larger watches are even numbers 18mm-24mm. Why would Ball go with a number that makes fitting aftermarket straps an inconvenience?
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

Re: Why 21mm?

In my experience, there's sometimes a variance in actual straps' sizes - which could make a 24mm fit like a 23mm. If you make an odd size lug like 21mm, a 22mm strap, though perhaps needing a little squeezing, will fit snugly and leave no gaposis where the lugs might show thru (which I hate). At least thats my take on it...

Maybe Jeff or Jeremy can give us their wisdom on this?? I find 22mm straps work fine on the Ball 21mm lugs, but have also wondered why they just don't make them 20mm or 22mm?
    Chris

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -Oscar Wilde
    ==========================
    Collector of Ball, Stowa and Glycine timepieces

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by srh_pres View Post
    In my experience, there's sometimes a variance in actual straps' sizes - which could make a 24mm fit like a 23mm. If you make an odd size lug like 21mm, a 22mm strap, though perhaps needing a little squeezing, will fit snugly and leave no gaposis where the lugs might show thru (which I hate). At least thats my take on it...
    that's the only justification for 21mm I can think of. I've never had a 22mm be too wide but I have had them too narrow, which is damn frustrating because it draws my eye to it. If that's the reason, it's a bit of interesting foresight on the part of Ball.

Sean

Interesting discussion. I know that I certainly don't have the answer.

I'd love to hear what other folks here think of this.

And btw--I love Steve's take on it! Makes sense!
    Take care,
    Geoff

Damasko DA36 Black
    Seiko Blue "Sumo" SBDC003
    Enzo Mechana Sub Hatch
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage
    Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1
    Casio G-Shock GW-2500B-1A G-Aviator
    Ball Engineer Master II Classic
    Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Ti "Mad Cow"
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m LE "America's Cup"
    Seiko Black Monster w/Yobokies Anvil bracelet
    Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual SS(wedding gift)

Funny you should ask that, as I actually prefer 21mm!

On a 22mm watch, a 22mm strap will eventually wear and shrink between the lugs, leaving an unpleasant gap. Also, putting and and removing 22mm straps from a 22mm watches creates gaps to.

Now on a 21mm watch, it is rather easy to "squeeze" a 22mm strap into the lugs and IMHO, it kind of fills the space better. It really isn't difficult to do...

Just my 2 cents...
    Marc Levesque
    @MarcTime2watch
    MyTime2watch.blogspot.com

I guess if it doesn't bother Bond, then it doesn't bother me!

Doxa does it too. I don't like it. The reason I don't like it is because "squeezing" a 22mm into a 21mm lug width compresses the leather, and makes the strap useless for 22mm watches. This is fine if you never want to use the strap for a 22mm watch again. Once you try it on a 21mm, it is destined to be used only on 21mm watches. I like to swicth and rotate straps around with other 22mm watches.

As a frequent strap switcher I have to agree 100% with the last comment. I guess there are those who pick a strap and stick with it forever but I tend to change them frequently so for me it's not a plus. I would also point out that having a strap tightly fitting into that gap will cause considerable wear to the edges of the strap as it pivots especially when taking it off and setting it down so that it lays flat on a table.

Also, having it so tight in there will make it a lot more difficult to remove without potentially damaging the strap. Worse, it increases the chance that with so much tension going on that your tool will slip and scratch the watch. So it's really not a good idea at all IMO.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

On the Prototype NT...never seen these so don't know if others agree it's a good idea.

Appears to be a quick release pull lever for the lug pins.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information