Why with my Deep Quest???
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Why with my Deep Quest???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why is this happening?

I'm kinda bummed that my DQ is doing this.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412477255.035030.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  226.6 KB
    I've cleaned it several times but it still stains my wrist if i wear it and sweat. It's a bit embarrassing that my 4k watch is marking my wrist up.

My skin diver has never stained my wrist. The only thing I can think is that the Ti is somehow reacting w my sweat.

Has anybody else had this happen? Any ideas on how to keep it from happening, or is it just something you have to deal with?

Re: Why with my Deep Quest???

That would be tough to take. Have you considered making an appointment with a Dermatologist to check out the rash? There may be something on the bracelet that is reacting with your body chemistry? Good Luck getting this figured out. Just my two cents worth.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Streetboss View Post
    That would be tough to take. Have you considered making an appointment with a Dermatologist to check out the rash? There may be something on the bracelet that is reacting with your body chemistry? Good Luck getting this figured out. Just my two cents worth.
    Kevin
    Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. It's not a rash. The bracelet stains my wrist while I'm wearing it. I can wash the stain off and my skin isn't irritated. It seems to be a reaction between my skin and the Ti.

I haven't had this issue with any of my other watches. It's a bit frustrating.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

I live in south Florida were you sweat standing still. I've never had that happen on any EHC watch regardless of material and I have had a DQ. That looks like metal Polish residue coming out (Or maybe some other build up like sun block, lotion or oil possibly from the clasp since I see it on the outside of some of the links). I would suggest pulling the bracelet and running it through an ultrasonic cleaner a few cycles( maybe your AD can do it). Never run the head in an ultrasonic cleaner or you'll have more issues. If you have the ultra sonic cleaner then you can rig up something so the head is not in the liquid and the vibration for the clearer is not transferred to the watch head(or just hold it in your hand for the 5 minutes it takes to run through a cycle. When you stop seeing the trails of stuff coming out run just one more cycle and then flush with water. My wife and I have a few Ti watches (my Prefered case material) and they do not bleed things out. The ultrasonic will get things out of every nook and cranny. I will note that some peoples body chemistry can cause certain strange reactions. I get burns from Quartz watches if I wear them for a week regardless of case material. I don't believe that is your problem.

Since I go in salt water almost daily I always rinse my watches and use hand soap and a hot water on the bracelet/clasp and warm on the case. Ti is not suppose to need rising, but habit and use of sunblock and other things including dead skin can really build up.

If you can't get to a ultrasonic cleaner regularly then try windex and a ultra soft toothbrush. Flex the links in all directing so you can get the deposits out and the same applies to the clasp. Then rinse the bracelet/clasp a lot with hot water.
    Last edited by samanator; October 5th, 2014 at 23:41.
    Moffett and jjlwis1 like this.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

I've noticed that the oils or grease for my screw links and bracelet can come off from time to time... When that happens, I wash the bracelet with hot water and soap.. Usually see black water come out... Cleans up real nice too!

Ultrasonic cleaning would be the best way, but you can also try a 50-50 mix of rubbing alcohol and distilled water to remove any residue.

You can also use something like mole-skin to line the back of the case and parts of the bracelet to keep them from coming in direct contact with your skin as another consideration.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

XiL

I think that's actually oxidized metal dust from the links/pins rubbing against each other.

Normally it falls off but when you're sweaty it mixes with moisture and turns into a "paste".

Happens to me on my Marvelight when I jog or do long hikes with it. Same with my all titanium citizen eco-drive.

I work with stuff that has glass filled delrin interacting with aluminum components and after a few thousand cycles there's always fine pile of black powder underneath the part.

Lots of interesting answers but not sure any of them are correct--Ti bracelets can and do react with sweat to produce the marks you have on your wrist--not dust, grease or anything else that likely wasn't there to begin with. The chemical concentrations in their perspiration vary from person to person and some can wear the same bracelet with nary a mark, while others can't. I learned this during my IWC phase--had several different Ingenieurs, all on Ti bracelets, and all made the same marks as on your wrist. My steel bracelets do this to a lesser extent, especially those that are not polished SS. It isn't how much you sweat, it is the chemical composition of your sweat that makes the differences. In my case, I had to simply forego wearing a Ti watch and/or bracelet altogether--the only reason I abandoned IWC. Good luck.
    samanator likes this.

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Lots of interesting answers but not sure any of them are correct--Ti bracelets can and do react with sweat to produce the marks you have on your wrist--not dust, grease or anything else that likely wasn't there to begin with. The chemical concentrations in their perspiration vary from person to person and some can wear the same bracelet with nary a mark, while others can't. I learned this during my IWC phase--had several different Ingenieurs, all on Ti bracelets, and all made the same marks as on your wrist. My steel bracelets do this to a lesser extent, especially those that are not polished SS. It isn't how much you sweat, it is the chemical composition of your sweat that makes the differences. In my case, I had to simply forego wearing a Ti watch and/or bracelet altogether--the only reason I abandoned IWC. Good luck.
    interesting Peter and not something I have encountered with Titanium watches. Now if it was bronze I did get marks like that for the couple I've had and I believe it was because of my sweat chemical make up. I do believe that cleaning a few times a week with hand soap and water would solve it. I'll also note that some EHC have a SS/Ti mix in the bracelet (applicable to the DQ) where I believe it is the outer link H portion (brushed) that is Titanium on the bracelet and the rest is SS.
    Last edited by samanator; October 6th, 2014 at 21:11.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Titanium is totally completely bio-compatible - it's the only material never to have a n implant rejected - so this is not any kind of allergic reaction.

Titanium is more critical with machining, and will gall a bit (we tried making sniper rifle barrels when I was in the industry, and we couldn't get them to last more than a few shots), so I am more of the "residual dust" camp and recommend the cleaning procedures above at least as a first step.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information