Will Ball be able to buy/use ETA movements in 2020?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By PetrosD
  • 1 Post By Dogbert_is_fat
  • 2 Post By timefleas

Thread: Will Ball be able to buy/use ETA movements in 2020?

Will Ball be able to buy/use ETA movements in 2020?

The Swiss decree enforcing Swatch to sell ETA movements to maker outside the Swatch Group expires in 2019. The availability of ETA movements is up in the air at the moment. What does that portend for Ball. Is that why it's developing an in-house calibre?
    https://quillandpad.com/2019/12/15/b...0vzKN9bWOu_DJE

Re: Will Ball be able to buy/use ETA movements in 2020?

I found it interesting in the article that ETA sold 500,000 movements to other manufacturers last year. From a business standpoint, that's a lot of sales that ETA would cease. Will the Swatch Group sell and additional 500,000 watches next year to make up for the lost ETA revenue? What impact will it have on the ETA factory? Can Sellita keep up with the increased demand for Swiss movements?

Ball already had their in-house movement, but watches with that movement are more expensive. Will they replace ETA with Sellita if they can't get ETA? Will they lower the cost of their in-house movement to better compete?

Time will tell on these questions for Ball and other manufacturers, as well as for ETA and Swatch.
    mjwatch and Nokie like this.

Sellita’s production numbers is nowhere near what ETA is churning out per year. I see this as a two edged sword. If there is demand for movements, then companies like Sellita or Soprod will find it an incentive to expand production to meet the demand. Other choices for manufacturers are of course Seiko or Chinese seagull movements.
    mjwatch likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mjwatch View Post
    The Swiss decree enforcing Swatch to sell ETA movements to maker outside the Swatch Group expires in 2019. The availability of ETA movements is up in the air at the moment. What does that portend for Ball. Is that why it's developing an in-house calibre?
    https://quillandpad.com/2019/12/15/b...0vzKN9bWOu_DJE
    This is an industry-wide thing, and honestly, just a marketing ploy, scare tactic, that has been used every five years or so by the same folks--my guess is that the world will not come to an end, watches will continue to be made, and they will be as good as, if not better than, ever before, Ball included--time will tell, and pretty ridiculous to participate in idle speculation, since all that will buy is more confusion.

All that said, I could actually care less, since I like the older (2005-2012 ?) models anyway, which are easily repairable by anybody, and I'm not holding my breath for the next online pre-order.
    Nokie and trappster like this.
    Less is More...

Ball is making in house movements as is Tudor; these two brands have traditionally used a lot of Eta movements. If Eta wants to continue to sell they seem to be shooting themselves in their collective feet. I'm not certain if Tudor has totally cone in house but they certainly have on many of their watches.

Quote Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
    Ball is making in house movements as is Tudor; these two brands have traditionally used a lot of Eta movements. If Eta wants to continue to sell they seem to be shooting themselves in their collective feet. I'm not certain if Tudor has totally cone in house but they certainly have on many of their watches.
    The difference here is that Tudor has Rolex's huge production capacity to back it up and Ball has none. I don't think Ball currently has the capacity to go all in-house.

I too like the older models, so I will sleep sound tonight......

It will balance out somehow, it always does as long as sales/$ are involved, IMHO.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Looks like status quo for at least another year.

https://monochrome-watches.com/news-...third-parties/

Imagine Ball producing their first budget model with a Seiko movement 🤢

Quote Originally Posted by Pneuma View Post
    The difference here is that Tudor has Rolex's huge production capacity to back it up and Ball has none. I don't think Ball currently has the capacity to go all in-house.
    Many watches are made using shared facilities iirc. I'm pretty certain that Ball could overcome not having enough in house capacity by outsourcing production.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaloMajik View Post
    Imagine Ball producing their first budget model with a Seiko movement
    They'd be named Invicta.
    Last edited by hogwldfltr; December 21st, 2019 at 02:05.

Thread Information