Will I grow additional fingers if I damage a Ball?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Will I grow additional fingers if I damage a Ball?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Will I grow additional fingers if I damage a Ball?

Hi all,
    I'm considering a Ball next, and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the tritium vials/ tubes? Have they ever broken on you? Were they damaged in any other way that caused you to be concerned?
    I absolutely love the defined clarity and glow from the lume that Ball use, but obviously don't fancy growing any additional fingers in the process due to the perceived use of a radioactive material!
    Regards
    Art

Re: Will I grow additional fingers if I damage a Ball?

Have you ever taken a commercial airplane flight? If so then you have received far more radiation exposure than you would get from breaking one of those tiny little tubes. Besides, itís still under the crystal so the gas would diffuse out slowly.

Just donít hold it up to your nose and snort if you break one.
    amg786 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Have you ever taken a commercial airplane flight? If so then you have received far more radiation exposure than you would get from breaking one of those tiny little tubes. Besides, itís still under the crystal so the gas would diffuse out slowly.

Just donít hold it up to your nose and snort if you break one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The BALL Watch advanced technology safely captures tritium gas (H₃) in a very stable form. Pure tritium gas is sealed in a hollow mineral glass tube. The interior walls are coated with luminescent material that gives off cold light when activated by the electrons emitted by the tritium, in much the same way a television screen functions.The small, precise, lightweight H₃ gas tubes are efficiently produced by means of a CO2 laser. The tubes are then attached to the hands and dial in a secure manner that precludes any risk of breakage. The wearer of a complete and intact BALL watch is not exposed to any irradiation. When assessing risk over the entire life cycle of the watch, the potential irradiation proves to be far smaller than the one which the wearer is inescapably exposed to from naturally occurring radiation and man-made materials.

Promethium And Tritium

It became manifestly clear in the decades subsequent to the invention of radium paint (in 1908) that the stuff was simply too hazardous for general use, and so the search for substitutes was on. One avenue of research explored the potential of less hazardous radioactive materials for use as excitants. Promethium emits only beta particles, and at a lower energy than radium, so it's generally considered much safer; it also doesn't cause phosphors to break down nearly as quickly. Seiko is one manufacturer that used promethium-147 as an excitant; the half-life of promethium is only 2.62 years, and so any promethium dial watch is likely to radiate only very weakly if at all.

Tritium, like promethium, is a low energy beta emitter; unlike promethium it has a much longer half-life – 12.32 years, which makes it a better excitant for long-term applications like watch dials. Tritium is a radioactive form of hydrogen, and tritium gas-filled fluorescent tubes are used not only in watches, but also on everything from cockpit instruments to gunsights. Two of the best known users of tritium gas tubes for watch dials are Ball and Luminox.

Tritium paint for watch dials and hands will lose its ability to photoluminesce over time, although as with promethium, degradation of the phosphor will take place more slowly, as tritium is a much weaker radiation source. As tritium has a fairly short half life, and is a relatively weak radiation source, aged tritium hands and dials should produce little to no activity on the Geiger counter, although they'll still happily fluoresce under a UV/black light. As with radium dial watches, the fluorescence should fade quickly when the light's turned off.

http://hps.org/documents/tritium_fact_sheet.pdf
    Last edited by colonelpurple; November 3rd, 2018 at 23:50.
    Level.5x likes this.

The post office only seemed concerned about lithium batteries, warm blooded animals, gasoline, nail polish.....Yep no Tritium Tubes on the list at all.

I’m gonna go with, enjoy the glow of the atomic revolution. Plus how do I break these tubes??

Quote Originally Posted by JCartwright77 View Post
    The post office only seemed concerned about lithium batteries, warm blooded animals, gasoline, nail polish.....Yep no Tritium Tubes on the list at all.

I’m gonna go with, enjoy the glow of the atomic revolution. Plus how do I break these tubes??
    you cant unless you open the watch and smash them
    as you can see from the article above Tritium beta radiation is very weak and can not penetrate the layer of dead skin cells on the skin
    a certain amount of tritium in the natural environment is to be expected, so breaking all the tubes in the watch wont move the needle on what exists in the background anyway

Just measured the radiation around my Ball EM2D with a Geiger counter (GQ GMC-500+)

There is no difference in radiation around the watch then any background radiation - I'll repeat the reading every 5 years LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Have you ever taken a commercial airplane flight? If so then you have received far more radiation exposure than you would get from breaking one of those tiny little tubes. Besides, it’s still under the crystal so the gas would diffuse out slowly.

Just don’t hold it up to your nose and snort if you break one.
    how else am i supposed to become "Watchman" ?
    Level.5x likes this.

Omega "Skyfall" Aqua Terra 8500

No problems, no danger. They are not as bright as Lume, but glow all the time, so no fading. Never had a problem.

If you damage a ball it might make it easier to reach those high note during karaote, but that's about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information