1 year Sinn UX review
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 1 year Sinn UX review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1 year Sinn UX review

Iíve been wanting to share my thoughts on my 2018 (December) Sinn UX for a while, and now Iíve had the watch for a year I thought Iíd write an honest review on what I think about the watch. I must add Iím no diver so wonít be going into the details of how it performs whilst I grapple with Jaws off the coast of an atoll somewhere Ė I live about 20 miles north of London!

Why it caught my attention -
    Iím a sucker for the whole tool \ divers style of watch, and must confess to being a bit of a Rolex fanboy (please donít judge me by that), but wanted a watch that was a little different. I did have a lot of concerns. The first being the fact that itís quartz. What would my friends say, would they think it was cheap? Could I justify spending a lot of money on something that had a battery in it? Would it have a bubble in it? Would it be too big for my 6 ĺ inch wrist? Plus many moreÖÖ..

For me the uniqueness of the brand Ė I still donít think Iíve seen another Sinn in the wild. The technical nature of the watch, the simplicity of dial, the fact it was filled with oil, movable Ďpistoní on the rear, with a depth rating that I clearly need for my Sunday swim with the family won me over.

I was also pleased to hear I could customise the UX to a certain degree. I was sold Ė and as you can see from the photo, I ordered a GSG9 case with the non GSG9 dial and hands, Tegimented case in black. So onto the Good, the OK, and the Bad.

The Good:
    If a watch doesnít make me smile, itís basically a waste of money. When the watch arrived I was super happy, with a big smile on my face. It had no bubble Ė good. It didnít look stupid on my wrist Ė check.

Size Ė As mentioned above I have a 6 ĺ inch wrist and love the size. What I didnít appreciate when ordering the watch was how thin (relatively speaking) the case thickness is. Whilst itís a big watch in terms of diameter (44mm), the case thickness makes this feel like a smaller watch, and makes for a very comfortable watch to wear. I tried wearing it under a work shirt cuff Ė and itís just about do Ďable Ė although I have other watches that are smaller and more suitable. The watch comes into itís own after work and at the weekends when I can pair it with my favourite T-Shirt and Jeans. I currently have it paired with a Marine Nationale style strap and itís incredibly comfortable, to the point I often forget I have it on, Iíve even fallen asleep with it on. Donít let the size put you off.

The black coating Ė having scratched many watches over the years, even with the most kid glove approach. I was concerned about the black PVD coating over the Tegimented case. I can say that I cannot see any scratches on the case at all, and the black coating still looks amazing. This actually amazes me and is a testament to the underlying construction and the coating technology.

The infamous bubble Ė this was a big concern for me. The watch didnít arrive with one, but I wanted to see if it would appear when the watch gets cold Ė as this is normally when people complain of one. I had a trip planned to the Ukraine in a very cold January, -15 degrees C. I was on the hunt for one and I never spotted a bubble, and in the last year of ownership Ė I still havenít seen one. The Ďpistoní on the back does move when the watch gets hot or cold Ė which is kind of cool, and I have bored my wife by showing her. I now donít even think about it.

Accuracy Ė Iím not particularly anal about how accurate a watch is, but this is one very accurate watch, at the moment it gains approx. 1 sec every other month. But there is a downside to this accuracy and thatís the date window Ė which Iíll mention below.

The OK:
    Bracelet - Whilst the solid bracelet is very comfortable to wear and feels bomb proof, itís not up there with the best (think Tudor Pelagos). The stamped buckle is just not as premium feeling as those from Omega, Tudor and similar brands at this price. I have read on some forums that other people have had colour mismatch between the watch head and bracelet Ė this wasnít the case (no pun intended) for me, and they matched perfectly. I must also confess to taking the bracelet off after a month of ownership as I like to play around with straps etc, but in that month I didnít see any scratches on it.

The Lume Ė The lume is good, it does last a long time. But I have a Citizen Dive watch which cost about £150 which is considerably better is terms of brightness and longevity. Thatís not to say the lume is not bright, it is, and if I didnít have the Citizen I would have put it in The Good category above. When compared to my other watches itís on par with a 2016 Omega Seamaster I have.

Date Window - As mentioned in The Good section the watch is incredibly accurate with its quartz movement, to the point I now use this watch to set my other watches. However this also means I donít have to set the watch very often which means leaving the date alone. As such I have been caught out a few times with reading the wrong date from the watch as I havenít set it properly for that month.

The Bad:
    Ordering - The ordering process was horrible, I didnít order directly with Sinn, I wonít mention the company I ordered through but it wasnít great. When I ordered the watch I was told it would be a 2 month wait at most Ė I was ok with this and placed the order. In fact it took 8+ months with lots of chasing on my part, this, I was not happy about. I nearly cancelled the order as I was being messed around that much, from blatant lies, the watch in is in final testing phase, to - itís on the watch makers bench being assembled (I was told this after I was informed it was in the final testing phase). I would order another Sinn, but would go directly to them next time.

The AR coating Ė The oil within the case and the AR coating on both sides of the glass does make for a watch which is incredibly legible. In fact people have even asked if itís a smart watch itís that clear. However I have knocked the glass on a couple of occasions which has resulted in 2 very very small marks in the AR coating, the sapphire crystal itself is fine, but the coating is damaged. Itís probably a little unfair to put the AR coating in The Bad section, but having it scratch easily kind of goes against the grain of the whole watch feeling indestructible, and having a proper tool watch feel. I think I would sacrifice the outside AR coating for a more scratch proof watch, especially considering how scratch proof the case itself is.

Final Thoughts:
    This is without doubt a fantastic watch, and still one of my favourites. I love the look of the watch and have had a few random people asking what it is (which Iíve never had with any of my other watches). Iíve made my peace with the fact itís quartz, and the 2 very small marks on the glass.

The watch has given me a healthy respect for Sinn as a company, and in all honesty I would order another watch from them Ė I also love the U1 professional (if they only did another like that).

If you are considering this watch then I hope this review has given you a bit of an insight into the world of the Sinn UX. It a serious watch with an incredible amount of technology crammed into it, and yes, I would buy another. It also still makes me smile

Name:  SinnUX.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  4.50 MB

Re: 1 year Sinn UX review

Great review! How about a wrist shot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Montreal, Canada. Land of Captain Canuck!

Great review. If you want to know more about Sinn technologies, here's a must read!

Also, if these AR scratches bug you (I know they did back in the time when I had a Sinn and also a Damasko), you can buff it all out and have a perfect pristine sapphire without any AR on it.

There's a bunch of threads and Youtube videos out there showing you how to do it.
    Viseguy and Spring-Diver like this.

Permanent collection today: 2015 Rolex Submariner no-date; 2019 Rolex OP 39 White
    2019 Grand Seiko GMT; 2020 Tudor Black Bay 58
    -->
    my feedback

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for sharing the review!
    "The stuff that dreams are made ofÖ" - RGM Ď801 EE Motor Barrelí

Good read! If the bracelet is the same as on the U1 S E then I can confirm the watch head is marginally more shiny, the bracelet is more matte. However I never noticed that before (until looking down at my wrist to check just now) and it is certainly not off-putting.

Sinn make scratch-proof watches. Had mine for about two years and the only minor scuffs are from where the bracelet clasp rubs on the bracelet links. Unlike GS, where they scratch just looking at them.

Thanks for the review. I've become a big fan of Sinn watches and the UX sure is a great looking watch. Good to learn first hand that it's also a great performer. Regarding the lume, I share the same observations with the 857UTC Testaf that I purchased earlier this year. It's an awesome watch and I couldn't possibly be happier with it in all respects with one exception, the lume is underwhelming.

The lume on my 857 is great when it's fully charged but it's fairly short lived and doesn't live up to the rest of the watch in my humble opinion. I wouldn't call it bad, it's just that I think it's marginal from the context of the performance of the watch overall. I think the lume is an area in need of improvement and apparently it's not just with the 857's....

Quote Originally Posted by MadsNilsson View Post

Hopefully you can see the watch through all the hair (it keeps me warm )

Name:  SinnUXWrist.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  2.71 MB
    MadsNilsson and Spring-Diver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MDTudor View Post
    Hopefully you can see the watch through all the hair (it keeps me warm )

Views: 84
    Thanks. Good thing itís visible through the fur coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MadsNilsson View Post

Hopefully you can see the watch through all the hair (it keeps me warm - ok )

Views: 77
    MadsNilsson likes this.

Great review OP. I just picked up a UX SDR here from the forums (also 2018) and because I've only had it for a week, reading your post was like looking 1 year into the future! We have the same size wrists, and it sounds like similar watch preferences (with fanboy tendencies). I'd even say we live in and travel to similar climates- though I'm on the other side of the pond.

Really appreciate reading your thoughts and can second all of your conclusions in the short time I've had the watch. One thing I do wonder, however, is how the battery will get along over time. I love sleeping in the cold, and have noticed when the watch is off wrist, the "bounce" is far less noticeable to the point of being almost gone and the second hand lags consistently behind the markers. I would hate to think that this puts more strain on the movement and over time will lead to a shorter life.
    Doulos Christos likes this.
    IG: @Oedipusflexx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information