103 gaining 1 hour a day (+4320 seconds)
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 103 gaining 1 hour a day (+4320 seconds)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry 103 gaining 1 hour a day (+4320 seconds)

So my brand new 103 arrived yesterday. Since it had stopped, I manually wound it - about 30 turns. Started normally, I set the date and time and wore it for 5 to 6 hours. Woke up this morning, it had gained nearly half an hour. Initially I thought I must not have set it correctly, so tested it, but realized that after 5 minutes, it had already gained 15 seconds. Measured a couple more times over 30 minutes and 60 minutes, consistently got the same average gain.

I of course called Sinn strait away - they were quite shocked and guaranteed that they test the watch multiple times for accuracy before it leaves their workshop. The lady said the only thing she could think of is that it got magnetized as it was sent via plane. She said I was welcome to send it back under warranty - they would pay for shipping, but the same thing might happen to it on the way back as all packages that go on a plane go through a large electromagnetic detector (her words not mine). She suggested I go to my local watch guy instead and get it demagnetized.

So I took it to the local place. He recommended not wearing it until it stops. When it stops, winding it up fully hence "rebooting" it. Then measuring it again. I feel like a huge gain like that is not just going to fix itself? If that doesn't work, he wants to take it apart to demagnetize the individual parts. While they are a reputable company, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I asked them if they would refill with Argon. Also reluctant to had it over a day after receiving it.

Any ideas?

103 gaining 1 hour a day (+4320 seconds)

Quote Originally Posted by mcdawisel View Post
    So my brand new 103 arrived yesterday. Since it had stopped, I manually wound it - about 30 turns. Started normally, I set the date and time and wore it for 5 to 6 hours. Woke up this morning, it had gained nearly half an hour. Initially I thought I must not have set it correctly, so tested it, but realized that after 5 minutes, it had already gained 15 seconds. Measured a couple more times over 30 minutes and 60 minutes, consistently got the same average gain.

I of course called Sinn strait away - they were quite shocked and guaranteed that they test the watch multiple times for accuracy before it leaves their workshop. The lady said the only thing she could think of is that it got magnetized as it was sent via plane. She said I was welcome to send it back under warranty - they would pay for shipping, but the same thing might happen to it on the way back as all packages that go on a plane go through a large electromagnetic detector (her words not mine). She suggested I go to my local watch guy instead and get it demagnetized.

So I took it to the local place. He recommended not wearing it until it stops. When it stops, winding it up fully hence "rebooting" it. Then measuring it again. I feel like a huge gain like that is not just going to fix itself? If that doesn't work, he wants to take it apart to demagnetize the individual parts. While they are a reputable company, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I asked them if they would refill with Argon. Also reluctant to had it over a day after receiving it.

Any ideas?
    If I were you Iíd buy one of those $6 demagnetizers from amazon or eBay. Itís a little blue box with a red button on it. Thereís videos on how to use it on YouTube. My watch went from running +1spd to +30 out of nowhere and using the demagnetizer brought it back to +1. If you do this, make sure the watch is stopped while you do it. I heard demagnetizing as the balance wheel is spinning could be bad.

As far as her reasoning, if that were the case, I feel like a heck of a lot more watches being flown to other locations would be magnetized.

Worst case, send it back to Sinn. Iíd rather have the manufacturer dissect my watch while itís under warranty than the local watch maker.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 103 gaining 1 hour a day (+4320 seconds)

Ordered recommended little blue box, that would be a very cheap fix indeed. Fingers crossed.

RotorBoater - I agree, her reasoning didn't feel right. I have taken several automatic watches through countless airports all over the world. None ever seemed affected. Possibly freight gets scanned differently from humans? From what I read online, the demagnetisation seems to fix 30s/day or even 60s/day, but I haven't found any examples where magnetisation was the issue of 1hour/day. Let's hope!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ordered recommended little blue box, that would be a very cheap fix indeed. Fingers crossed.

RotorBoater - I agree, her reasoning didn't feel right. I have taken several automatic watches through countless airports all over the world. None ever seemed affected. Possibly freight gets scanned differently from humans? From what I read online, the demagnetisation seems to fix 30s/day or even 60s/day, but I haven't found any examples where magnetisation was the issue of 1hour/day. Let's hope!
    Ah, right itís an hour a day that your watch is off. Might as well still try the demagnetizer. Seems like it needs to be regulated though with that much of a deviation.

Smile Re: 103 gaining 1 hour a day (+4320 seconds)

Alright, in case anyone is doing searches on this looking for a solution:
    Tapped the watch against a wooden desk a couple of times. Nothing crazy, gentle knock, about as hard as you would knock on a door. Don't even remember where I found this tip, but it seems to work.

Here the immediately before and the immediately after. Went form about +4300 seconds/ day to 7 seconds/day.
    Granted it's a 5 Euro app from the app store and probably very inaccurate. But for the last hour it's been measuring between +7 and +15 seconds a day.

Who would have thought. Let's hope it lasts!

Before
    Name:  Screenshot_20190228_182601_com.athumbsoft.pendulumtuner.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  126.6 KB

After
    Name:  Screenshot_20190228_190612_com.athumbsoft.pendulumtuner (1).jpg
Views: 179
Size:  122.1 KB

It’s a new watch so send it back to Sinn. It might be a bit of a pain but IMO a Sinn costs too much to risk invalidating the warranty.

It has to be magnetized. Did you run it through the demagnetized?

Any ideas?
    Why are you winding an automatic watch 30X?

If it's an everyday watch that's stopped just wear it for a few minutes and let it start on it's own. It's kind of an inconvenience to set it later, but, it's not something you need to do on a routine basis.

Hair springs can hang up if knocked, but I’m with the others. Demagnatize it. Do it a couple of times. My 156 randomly started running very fast, bought one of the items mentioned above and it is all good. I’m not sure if doing it while running is an issue, it only takes about 2 seconds. I did mine while running, no issues.
    Too many flipped...

Quote Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
    Hair springs can hang up if knocked, but Iím with the others. Demagnatize it. Do it a couple of times. My 156 randomly started running very fast, bought one of the items mentioned above and it is all good. Iím not sure if doing it while running is an issue, it only takes about 2 seconds. I did mine while running, no issues.
    I had an Ollech and Wajs Mirage do the exact same thing. Took it to my favorite watch store (WatchWorks)......and they fixed it for free and told me it was a simple malfunction that sometimes happens to 7750's.
    Don't just take a picture....Create one instead

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information