140 A or EZM10?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By grinhu

Thread: 140 A or EZM10?

140 A or EZM10?

Thinking about getting one of the sz-01 equipped Sinns, and was interested in impressions from those who've handled/own both. Thanks!

Re: 140 A or EZM10?

I have not handle both, but I have an idea. You will not go wrong with any of watches.
    I was very hot on the 140A, but it was a bit expensive for me and I already got a EZM10. I went for a 142/lemania 5100 instead. The two watches are totally different in look and feeling.
    The two watches looks tough, the EZM10 may look a bit more impressive by its lines, design...
    The EZM10 looks modern, when the 140 has a vintage look, but the good vintage look, not the one that seems strange 10 years after.
    The EZM10 looks a bit more sporty, professional (if that terms means something today), while the 140 can be worn a bit more easily.

If you like over-engineering watches, the EZM10 is also the choice (bezel, tegiment titanium, ...)

No bad choice among those two. Another solution could be to wait for the next SZ01 watch (EZM1b, a diver?)
    DaveandStu likes this.

Thanks for the thoughtful response, grinhu!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have handled both, but eventually cancelled my early EZM 10 order and waited a few more months for a 140 A instead.

Standard 140 deliveries should start in the next few months, but I am not sure how many of the limited edition 140A's are still available. The 140A is a modern homage to a design of the 70's, and silver subdials on a black dial can be tricky to read in dim lighting, when the contrast between hands and subdials blurs. I expect the standard all-black dial of the 140 to do better in that respect.

What put me off the EZM 10 was that - while technically a marvel - design-wise the dial seem to be overpowered by the surroundings and I am a purist at heart and most and foremost my watches will have to do one thing well: tell time at a glance.

The 140 models have cleaner and more classic design and perform IMO better in that respect.

On another note; the entire SZ 01 pricing structure has me concerned.
    While the price reflects years of design and testing in a Sinn movement modification (remember - it's a humble Valjoux 7750 at heart?) that emulates the Lemania 5100, the question is how much the central second hand is worth to a watch buyer and whether an original Lemania 142 in good shape cannot be had cheaper, or an alternative like the 900 Flieger is not a better value.

To answer the question from my perspective; the EZM 10 has fallen off my radar completely, while I wait for Sinn to tell me when I could pick up the standard 140 early next year.

But then again; the 140/142 family was always close to my heart - including the unloved 142 St II sibling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

Both watches are amazing, but they are still different from one another and it depends on what you're looking for in a Sinn watch. The one thing they share in common, as previously mentioned, is the SZ01 movement, which is a complete reworking of the Valjoux 7750. Although technically not an in-house movement, the modifications are substantial and it's as close to an in-house movement that Sinn has ever gotten to. The EZM 10 is the ultimate utilitarian and overengineered watch in the strictest sense, packed with almost every Sinn proprietary technology: Tegimented titanium, Ar gas, temperature resistant, DIAPAL, D3 System pushers, sapphire coated captive pilot's bezel, etc. Futhermore, the TESTAF version adheres to strict pilot standards that Sinn helped develop. It's Sinn's flagship watch, and the ultimate pilot's mechanical watch in my opinion.

The 140A is quite special, and it was the piece that garnered the most attention at the recent Watchbuys roadshows. It was originally supposed to be released in a limited edition of only 200 pieces, but there was so much demand for it, Sinn upped the production to 500 pieces. The 140A pays tribute to the 140S going into space, which was the first automatic chronograph to accomplish this feat. It also is packed with some great Sinn technology, including tegimented satinized steel, Ar gas, and the D3 System. As mentioned, it definitely has a vintage 1970s look to it, but is still very modern and current. It looks amazing on the satinized tegimented bracelet, and can easily pair very well with either a suit or a tee-shirt and jeans.

I own both watches, and I find it very difficult to choose between one or the other. In all honesty, you really can't go wrong with either piece, but each watch does have its own purpose. If you're a fan of overengineering and technology, then go for the EZM 10. If you like vintage pieces and appreciate a classic design and a watch with history, then the 140A is for you. Of course, if you can, get both and problem solved :)

Hi Kurt....do you feel that a experienced watchmaker in valjoux 7750 could service a SZ01 movement?? Owning a EZM10 purchased from overseas with duty paid in full still represents issues with the tyranny of distance from Australia...with my sinn military with lemania 5100 and the u212sdr with the 2892-a presents a easier solution ..with the exception of the copper sulphate capsules...thank you in advance..perhaps I can transfer warranty to AD in Australa...or is that not a alternative..all the best Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveandStu View Post
    Hi Kurt....do you feel that a experienced watchmaker in valjoux 7750 could service a SZ01 movement?? Owning a EZM10 purchased from overseas with duty paid in full still represents issues with the tyranny of distance from Australia...with my sinn military with lemania 5100 and the u212sdr with the 2892-a presents a easier solution ..with the exception of the copper sulphate capsules...thank you in advance..perhaps I can transfer warranty to AD in Australa...or is that not a alternative..all the best Dave

If any loss of dehumidifying gas does not faze you too much, any competent watchmaker should be able to clean, oil and regulate an SZ01 movement.
    Should any parts unique to tyne SZ01 be needed though, a trip to a Sinn authorized workshop, or Frankfurt, Germany may be required.

Hope this helps....

Kurt

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

Thanks Kurt....I have heard that Sinn are obliging to sending parts and assisting with advice from previous posts...

Thread Information