356 accuracy?

Thread: 356 accuracy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

356 accuracy?

Got my new 356 a couple of weeks ago, and love it. Cant take it off, but today I noticed the thing is starting to run quite fast. At what point would I begin to worry and consider it unacceptable. I think the last couple of days it has been gaining about 15+ seconds a day. Is it likely this will settle, or is it time to check the warranty?

Re: 356 accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by offshoredriver View Post
    Got my new 356 a couple of weeks ago, and love it. Cant take it off, but today I noticed the thing is starting to run quite fast. At what point would I begin to worry and consider it unacceptable. I think the last couple of days it has been gaining about 15+ seconds a day. Is it likely this will settle, or is it time to check the warranty?
    That is unacceptable. But first - have you tried placing the watch in different positions when not on the wrist? Face up, or on each side? That might make a difference. But 15+ seconds/day sounds rather iffy to me. Have you dropped it at all? I can't see why it would be running OK at first and then start running so fast. I had one - I dropped it and it was a problem from the re on. I'd consider getting it looked at under warranty/replaced.

Cheers David

Thanks David. No I havent dropped it at all, I have only just noticed it though, mainly because I have only had it a short while, and only just checked it. I will give it few more days. I havent tried placing it in different places, I dont really take it off that often - I wear it in bed, the only time I take it off is when I have a shower.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

JML

Any automatic is likely to run fast when new and then settle down. The speed variation will depend on the off-wrist position and whether it's on a winder. Wait a month or so, and then if it's still running fast get it regulated. Mine will still run fast when on a winder, even after regulation by RGM.
    ** Aérowatch Pilot Chronograph ** Casio Edifice EQSA500B-1AV ** Casio Edifice EQW-A1200RP-1AER ** Casio Oceanus OCW-T2600L-1AJF ** Centric Lightwell Chronograph ** Casio ProTrek PRW2500-1A ** Citizen AT4008-51E ** Citizen AT8020-54L ** Filson Mackinaw Chronograph 11000310 ** G-Shock GW3000BD-1ACR ** Limes Cartouche ** Limes Nightflight Vintage Black ** Maratac SR-35 DLC-X1 ** Seiko Seiko SRPA21 PADI Mod ** Seiko SRP777 Mod ** Sinn 356 Flieger ** Stowa Flieger Classic 40 HW ** Traser P6506 Commander **

My Sinn 356 Copper Dial watches I used to have they both ran quite fast. But not in the +15 seconds. According to your habit - only take off the watch when you take a shower - then it should not be running that fast for it almost have constant movement from your wrist from your daily routine. Other than position-variance test you can try to drain it and test its power reserve hour at the same time. My TAG uses to run fast but its "lousiest" accuracy is still under 12 seconds. After I drain it several times I place it face up when I don't wear it and now it is constant at under 6 sec/day.

Bear in mind that your Sinn 356 is using a based Valjoux 7750 movement and Sinn has not done too much of modifications on it - other than shock resistance. And, my experience with Valjoux 7750 is it never stops and immunes to position variance. To take your watch to regulate it may have the same result and because you wear your watch in long hours everyday, you may feel worse missing it than finding out it has a "not too chubby" accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by t1026 View Post

Bear in mind that your Sinn 356 is using a based Valjoux 7750 movement and Sinn has not done too much of modifications on it - other than shock resistance.
    Can you tell use more about the Sinn modification for shock resistance?

I don't think it's that bad. chances are it will slow down with time so a little fast to start with is not that IMO. I understand how you might not like it with a new watch though, so if you want to have it regulated under warranty, you can certainly do that. I don't think I'd do it though if I had to mail it away.

Thanks for all the replies. I will see how it goes and settles in the next few weeks. I guess I am kind of comparing it to my Rolex, which is 3 secs every day, no matter what, which I think is pretty damn good.

just a thought, but the watch might be magnetised. do you work around or place your watch near speakers, transformers or otherwise items of high magnetic fields?

otherwise, i think a regulation/replacement might be in order.

i've read that watch accuracy depends on the power-reserve as well. perhaps when you first got your watch, the mainspring isnt fully wound, and extended periods of wear would've wound the spring up fully, and cause the watch to run faster.

just my 2 cents :)

regards,
    nick
    ---
    Sinn U1
    Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Breitling Superocean Steelfish

I had an EZM 3 that suffered the same running fast problem from new (I also had the 356 that I dropped). Anyway, SINN will probably ask you to see how it peforms over a period of time before sending it in.

I sent my EZM 3 in twice I believe, and it never was right even after servicing. Yes, the accuracy came down to a reasonable level (+8/day which was within spec) but that is nowhere near what my EZM 1 and 156 are acheiving (+2s/day max), so in my mind it was never right.

I'd say...report it, get it logged as a problem, and send it back when you can. As it's a new watch I'd really push for a replacement personally. You shouldn't be having this hassle IMHO.

cheers David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information