556A crystal repair
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 556A crystal repair

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

556A crystal repair

Hi, my 556A got too many scratches on crystal glass now, I am looking for your advice for the repair.

1. try to remove outside AR coating - I am not sure 556A has a double side AR coating and Watchbuys provides the service.

2. Replace it with new parts. - I am not sure exact cost, but I would assume over $250.

3. Is there any third party crystal?

Thank you.

Re: 556A crystal repair

Quote Originally Posted by seungbum81 View Post
    Hi, my 556A got too many scratches on crystal glass now, I am looking for your advice for the repair.

1. try to remove outside AR coating - I am not sure 556A has a double side AR coating and Watchbuys provides the service.

2. Replace it with new parts. - I am not sure exact cost, but I would assume over $250.

Thank you.
    I definitely would try option 1 first especially since you can get it done by a professional.

Both 556 models have inner/outer AR coating and it takes a lot to scratch sapphire so It will almost certainly be the AR coating thats looking worn. It was part of the reason I ended up flipping mine to be honest.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by seungbum81 View Post

Thank you.
    You really can't scratch sapphire. It's amazingly strong until it chips or shatters. You're actually scratching the AR coating on the outside of the sapphire, which is pretty soft by comparison. Just have it buffed off and be done with it.

Instagram @open_escapement

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Does Watchbuys provide AR remove service? do you have any idea of rate?
    I know Watchmann does for Damasko.

thank you for sharing your opinion

Quote Originally Posted by JacobC View Post
    You really can't scratch sapphire. It's amazingly strong until it chips or shatters. You're actually scratching the AR coating on the outside of the sapphire, which is pretty soft by comparison. Just have it buffed off and be done with it.

Thank for sharing physics..or chemistry I am not sure.
    But it's good news, the glass itself hardly gets scratches.

I would go with option 2, if you desire to keep it as original as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobC View Post

I see scratched sapphire crystals all the time. It is certainly scratch resistant, but scratches are not out of the ordinary. Here'sa an extreme example - road rash on this crystal and bezel:

I polished out the crystal to a point that was acceptable to the customer, and replaced the bezel:

To the OP - you can remove the AR coating yourself. It's not difficult to do. You can try Polywatch as some people have reported having success removing scratched up AR with that. I personally use diamond paste - 1 micron or 1.2 micron will do a good job, and you won't see any impact on the crystal itself.

Cheers, Al
    ancap95 likes this.

Estimate from RGM for a new Sinn crystal is between $200 and $250 installed. Shipping on top of that.

I'd personally rather just have the AR removed. It doesn't make that much of a difference and there is still the internal AR coating on Sinn's crystals. I'd be pissed if I spent that money on a new crystal, sent the watch away for months and scratched the external AR a week later.

As far as removal goes, a trusted local watch shop should be able to polish the crystal for around $50 which will remove the AR. As seen all over the internet, you can do it on your own as well with some polywatch by hand being the lenghtier option, by dremel with felt polishing wheel for a more expedient process.

You can have bash at removing the AR as Al suggests or hunt out someone to do it for you. If it fails then you can always go the new crystal route.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information