756 vs 856 UTC - mini reviews
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 756 vs 856 UTC - mini reviews

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A while back, I got the itch for a Sinn. Having never worn any in person, I narrowed it down to either an 856 or 756 because I like the large 12-3-6-9 numeral design. After a few months keeping an eye on the forums and ebay, I picked up a 756 from someone on ebay (whom I believe is also a member here). My initial reaction was that it's quite chunky...which it is - 40mm case diameter x 14mm thick. It's like a tuna can! Despite this, I actually find it's quite comfortable, and the thickness is something I got used to very quickly. My Omega Speedmaster is also 14mm, but the Sinn wears a little thicker since the case is 14mm from top to bottom, whereas the Omega has a domed crystal and tapered caseback, with the actual case being thinner. I do wish it had a seconds hand, but I could always run the chrono for a while if I felt like I needed something moving to look at All in all, it's a great watch, and I don't regret buying it one bit.

But I still was interested in an 856, and I just took delivery of one earlier today, which I purchased from another member here. My initial impression is that it's not chunky - 40mm x 10mm, a considerable 4mm thinner than the 756, and definitely proportioned more 'normally' than the 756. Although now that I'm accustomed to the 756, I find both to wear comfortably. Had I gotten the 856 first, I may not like how the 756 wears. The dimensions of the 856 are right in my sweet spot for a wrist my size, IMO - 6.5". The 856 seems to be right on par, quality-wise, with the 756, and it's my first UTC/GMT, so I'm looking forward to wearing it while traveling.

Aside from the thickness, and the obvious chronograph vs. UTC complications, they're nearly identical watches on the outside. Same case diameter, same general dial/hands design, same bracelet, etc. My one gripe about them is the bracelet. It's pretty thin and chintzy, and it seems especially thin on the pudgy 756. I don't think it'll fall apart or anything, but I don't think the quality of the bracelet matches the quality of the watch. Other than that though, they're both excellent watches. My plan was to sell the 756 once I got the 856, but now I'm having second thoughts...although I'll probably come to my senses since I think they're too similar to keep both.

Both Sinns, side by side

From the side, you can definitely see the difference in thickness, and how thin the bracelets look.

The 756 on the wrist - for reference, my wrists are 6.5"

The 856 on the wrist:

Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 | Omega SMPc | Rolex Datejust 16014 | Zenith El Primero 1969 Reissue | Panerai Luminor PAM120 | Rolex Explorer II 16570 | ​Omega Speedmaster 3511.50 |Archimede Pilot 39H |Seiko SKX009
    CT Photographer

Facebook

Re: 756 vs 856 UTC - mini reviews

I definitely think that 856 looks better!

Stephen, Great shots and I like the fact that you mention your wrist diameter for reference. Personally I prefer the 756, even though it has the 2 chrono sub dials, it looks less cluttered than the 856 with its inner 24hr dial . Either way they both fit your wrist well. Thanks for the mini review and photographs. Tony

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thx Stephen, appreciate the pics. I went back and forth with the 856/857 and ended up with the 857. I have been using the bezel a lot more than anticipated for timing things. I'd probably be very happy with the other, but the 756 is super chunky. I guess chronos are pretty chunky overall, and if I really needed that function it,would be fine. Not a chrono fan it,turns out. I find the dials too,busy,,too many,buttons, and the local,watchmaker doesn't even regulate them I think.

Great watches though, thanks for,posting. I'll try to post some pics later

Sent from my iSomething using Tapatalk
    Please forgive typos and commas

I was contemplating an 857 too, but ultimately decided that at 43mm, it was too large for my wrist. I'd love one if I had larger wrists, but I think 42mm is the absolute max I'm comfortable with.
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 | Omega SMPc | Rolex Datejust 16014 | Zenith El Primero 1969 Reissue | Panerai Luminor PAM120 | Rolex Explorer II 16570 | ​Omega Speedmaster 3511.50 |Archimede Pilot 39H |Seiko SKX009
    CT Photographer

Facebook

I want an 857 UTC!
    Grand Psyko likes this.

Here's a quick shot of my 857 UTC, purchased used from this forum. I wanted to add in a few more comments about the watch for future buyers. I really like this watch. I hope it holds up to my lifestyle as an everyday watch.

Tegiment is scratch resistant at best. The watch has some small areas where it made contact. Not scratches but little shiny buffed spots. They could very well be from the flipper I bought this from, who was the third owner over a few months. Usual story, watch too big, move it along. I haven't discovered anything deficient in the watch, it is incredibly accurate. Crown winds nice and silky like. The clasp is on the loose side, but secure. The watch and band do rattle a little, but not uncommon for bracelets I guess. I like the matte finish, and the marks don't bother me at all. Very curious to see how the black holds up. I think they call it something else. It looks great,and I think it softens the stark geometry of the metal around the crystal, more prominent in the regular tegiment.

As far as sizing, I really think that the 857 is comparable to the 856 in that the bezel really breaks up the geometry of the watch. The watches without the bezel wear a little on the big size because of geometry, but yours looks killer. 43 mm in that style would look too big I think, but aesthetically, I think you would be fine with the 857. Just conceptually. I think you're all set for the time being! Functionally may be different, as far as where the lugs end up on a 6.5" wrist. I think,the 857 fits my wrist pretty well, but you guys can give me feedback.

I found it to be heavy at the outset. I'm used to it now. Some of you have watches as heavy or heavier in your collection, but it took some time to get used to it after a damasko 36'on a strap. I'm looking for a sinn rubber with deployant I think,to try that out, just can't swallow the price tag yet. Looking at other brands too, maybe NATO but not sure I'm a fan yet.

I'm pleased to see we can get capsule and argon service,stateside now. I also,hope that the system increases service interval and this watch stays this accurate. It's still within a few seconds. Which currently indicates I need to go get on a tractor and get planting operation going.

Cheers-

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412184294.301747.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  272.1 KB

Last edited by cheoah; October 1st, 2014 at 20:02.
    rockmastermike and gaopa like this.

Hi All this is my first post

Great review on the 856 stevenandrew. I'm in a position now where I have read that many reviews my head has almost imploded! I'm torn between an 856 and an 857. Both have their merits but it's now purely down to wrist size. Would the 856 look puny on a 7.5" dia wrist? I see the 857 on cheoah's wrist and it looks acceptable but you don't mention your wrist diameter. If I got the 856 it would be the 856 S UTC and the 857 would be the none UTC

Many thanks for your site and your reviews

Both really nice looking watches. It's interesting that Sinn used a different date implementation for each, though. I probably prefer the date on the 756, but the date on the other is not bad.

Hi andypet. My wrist is about 7 3/8

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information