856 or 103?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 856 or 103?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

856 or 103?

Pondering my first Sinn (and first watch purchase >$1000), and I’m really in the fence about which one to get.

Without having actually tried them on, I’m very drawn to the slimness and legibility of the 856, and I strongly prefer flatter casebacks for general day-long comfort.

On the other hand, I cook a lot, and HATE digging my phone out of my pocket for timing things, often having multiple things timing at once, so I’m pretty sure I’d use the functions of something from the 103 family daily.

Especially looking to hear about 103 wrist comfort in comparison to the 856 or 556 from anyone who owns both.

Tegiment tech and CuSO4 is cool, would go bracelet on 856, strap on the 103 most likely. Would go either acrylic or Ti with the 103.

For context, my current daily wear watches are an Alpinist and an SKX. Love the comfort of the Alpinist, and use the timing bezel every day I wear the SKX.

Inb4 “Get both!”

Re: 856 or 103?

The classic 103 will be a bit thicker due to the height of the acrylic crystal, but I have to say, that is part of the charm for that watch. The others would be a bit thinner. Overall, it really boils down to the style you prefer. All mentioned are very comfortable to wear, and can be worn for just about anything.
    Too many flipped...

The 103 acrylic is very comfortable and is lower than the sapphire version. Excellent lume if that matters to you. Wears well for a 6.5 inch wrist in my experience.

I think I can do without the added features of the 856. YMMV.
    Breck likes this.
    Seeking watch nirvana

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh man, that's tough. I like the sleek look of the 856 a lot. BUT I also appreciate the functionality of a timer. I have a watch with a GMT bezel that drove me nuts because it was useless for timing things. I have a U1 now with the perfect bezel for timing things, and I feel like a whole person again... So go with the 856 if looks are what matter. If you're like me and you'll go insane because you can't remember what time it was when you looked at your watch last, do yourself a favor and get the 103.
    Breck likes this.

I find I use a timing bezel more than a chronograph, have you considered the 104?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nodnar View Post
    I find I use a timing bezel more than a chronograph, have you considered the 104?

I use the bezel on my diver a lot for timing things, but just in thinking about cooking applications, if I want to, say, sear a piece of meat for 90-120 seconds per side, bezel timing is a bit coarse for that. Also, when I make bread, the usual recipe I use calls for turning the dough every 30 minutes for 3 hours, which can be easy to lose track of over time, so a timing bezel AND a chronometer seems highly useful for that.

Still torn. Acrylic and utility (and maybe looks overall) argue for the 103. Durability, legibility, and slimness point me towards 856 (and a good digital kitchen timer).

Sending the 856 back to Germany for servicing seems like a drag. Also looking at 656es for combo of looks, smaller size, and ease of service...

So just talking, I used my bezel and the seconds hand to time things at work of a minute or so. At home I use the bezel and the hour hand to time brisket on the smoker over several hours, checking it every 30 minutes or so. Neither is super precise, but close enough.

As for servicing the 856, if you’re in North America, RGM can service those, including the Ar gas.

It’s bigger, but the 836 has the hardened case and extra anti-magnetic cage, but not the Ar gas or special extreme temperature oils. So I guess it could be serviced elsewhere.

If you’re like me, the choosing is almost as fun as owning, happy hunting.

PS I have a UX and a 900 so i can’t really speak to these others.

I have contemplated the 856 many times, but chose the EZM3, and then later 103 ST, over the 856. The 103 ST is a tremendous watch, with a charming and classic design. It was one of my favorites.
    Breck likes this.

I cook quite a lot as well and find the 103 really useful. I often find myself using the bezel and the chrono at the same time, e.g. when I've got a pot on the stove and meat on the grill. The 103 makes cooking more fun, at least it does for a watch nerd like me.

Comes in handy other times as well, e.g. keeping track of your parking on the chrono and the wait at a restaurant (continuing the food theme) on the bezel.

I've got an acrylic 103 and the thickness isn't usually an issue, I only really notice it if I wear it on a thick NATO strap. The sapphire version is probably too thick for me, though. It's not just extra 1.5mm, it's also got a different side profile. I've never owned it though, only tried it on, so I can't say for sure
    Breck likes this.

While I have not tried the 856, I can tell you that the 103 st on the bracelet is the most comfortable watch I own, followed by a SMP 2254 ( which is always lauded for its comfort). Like others have said, it comes down to preference. Good luck.
    Breck likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information