856 or 857?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 856 or 857?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

856 or 857?

So I am working towards my first Sinn. I have settled on it being either an 856 or 857. As most of you know there are a few differences. First the 856 is 40mm while the 857 is 43mm. I have a 7 1/4” wrist so I can accommodate either without any awkwardness.

Next is the Bezel.... the 857 has an aluminum bidirectional bezel. I like the timing feature of the bezel but don’t feel it to be completely necessary on every watch I own. I have other divers with rotating bezels. What gets me is that both watches are fully tegimented including the bracelet, but then Sinn puts an aluminum insert in the bezel of the 857.

Size of watch aside, what are your thoughts... bezel or no bezel on a fully tegimented watch?

Also, if I missed any differences or pros and cons of either watch please let me know.

Re: 856 or 857?

857 for sure. My next Sinn will be a 857S.
    The 856 felt small on my 7 1/4” wrist at the Roadshow.

Cheers
    Shannon
    My Seiko's: SBDB001 SD600M, SBDX001 Marine Master, SRP777, SRPA21 PADI,

Casio: ProTrek 2500-A1

My Sinn’s: EZM9, EZM14–T1, EZM14-T1B, U1 Professional, 836

Want

Aquadive: Bathyscaphe Poseidon GMT 100, Bathyscaphe 100 Blue

Sinn: U2C, UX S, 857 S, 900 S

Seiko: SNR031J1, SNR035J1

Thanks for your input! I know Sinn’s shorter lug to lug makes their watches wear slightly smaller. Meaning the 43.0 probably wears more like a 42 or 41.

I, too, love the fully black tegimented of the 857s.

I’m leaning that direction for sure.

Best Regards,

Judson
    Spring-Diver likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Even with my smaller wrist (6.5" - 6.75"), the 857 looked better on me than the 856. It fits great around the wrist bone, while my 43mm Rolex Sea Dweller is too thick and the lugs stick out past my bone. So much so that even when sized to fit snug, you can still slide a pencil through between my skin and the lugs.

I've never had an issue with the 857 bezel insert getting nicked or scratched, so don't let it's aluminum construction dissuade you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisara View Post
    Even with my smaller wrist (6.5" - 6.75"), the 857 looked better on me than the 856. It fits great around the wrist bone, while my 43mm Rolex Sea Dweller is too thick and the lugs stick out past my bone. So much so that even when sized to fit snug, you can still slide a pencil through between my skin and the lugs.

I've never had an issue with the 857 bezel insert getting nicked or scratched, so don't let it's aluminum construction dissuade you.
    Another vote for the 857! I think I’m going with bezel folks! Thanks for the post!

Well just to mix it up a little...

I guess it really comes down to whether you want a bezel or not, irrespective of the Tegimented case (and I wouldn't have any concern about the bezel insert).
    Also, if you have a bunch of Dive watches already, does this offer anything new, other than the fact the bezel would be bidirectional?

Have you considered one of the Sinn pilots with a countdown bezel for a change?

For what its worth, I previously wanted the 856 UTC, but in the end I felt that the 857 UTC was a more balanced (although "busier") watch. However, I just didn't want another black bezel watch, and not at 43mm, so skipped them both. The 856 "non-UTC" has a much cleaner dial, and works very well without the bezel. You could wear it anywhere, I reckon.

I used to own an 856 UTC ..and I may buy it again, this time with that amazing sinn h link bracelet.

If you want the timing bezel and can handle the size, go 857.

For me though the 856 really has the stark, all-business cockpit panel vibe to it without the timing bezel. The timing bezel kind of makes it look like just another dive watch to me. Granted if you like the look and or want that functionality, then that's cool too.

. Also I think 40mm is about the perfect size.

One small gripe I had about the 856 is the gmt hand tends to get covered my thr hour or minute hands. The GMTs with the 24 hour track near the outside of the dial vs teh inside (ie most of them) definetly have an advantage here.
    Last edited by ebtromba; August 16th, 2019 at 22:42.

Personal choice. It was the 857 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ebtromba View Post
    I used to own an 856 UTC ..and I may buy it again, this time with that amazing sinn h link bracelet.

If you want the timing bezel and can handle the size, go 857.

For me though the 856 really has the stark, all-business cockpit panel vibe to it without the timing bezel. The timing bezel kind of makes it look like just another dive watch to me. Granted if you like the look and or want that functionality, then that's cool too.

. Also I think 40mm is about the perfect size.

One small gripe I had about the 856 is the gmt hand tends to get covered my thr hour or minute hands. The GMTs with the 24 hour track near the outside of the dial vs teh inside (ie most of them) definetly have an advantage here.
    I agree, the 856 does allow for a cleaner business style look. Also with its smaller case would fit better under the cuff.

I’m leaning more towards a casual tool watch, working in the garage, ride the motorcycle, go to the park and throw the football, drink a beer while grilling steaks for the family. Therefore, I think the bezel would be more useful in that application. But you make a good point in favor of the 856 to expand its capability to the workplace... and it does work. Thanks for the input.

Best Regards,

Judson

857!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information