Is The 857 Enough?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is The 857 Enough?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is The 857 Enough?

Maybe I'm just basking in the afterglow, but my recent purchase of an 857 UTC has left me looking at my other watches and wondering if I will ever wear them again.

My "collection" is small; a Helson SD, a Lum-Tec M16 and a Nixon 42-20 that I use when enjoying outdoor sports (I love the analog tide indicator). But the 857 kinda replaces both the Helson and the Lum-Tec; it's got a diver style bezel, has the legibility of an instrument watch, and yet is dressy enough to wear under a cuff.

I'm not slighting the other watches - they're both incredibly high quality pieces and I did enjoy wearing them. But I just can't imagine that I'll ever favor them over the Sinn. What do others find - is one watch really enough?

Re: Is The 857 Enough?

Quote Originally Posted by da_breeze View Post
    Maybe I'm just basking in the afterglow, but my recent purchase of an 857 UTC has left me looking at my other watches and wondering if I will ever wear them again.

My "collection" is small; a Helson SD, a Lum-Tec M16 and a Nixon 42-20 that I use when enjoying outdoor sports (I love the analog tide indicator). But the 857 kinda replaces both the Helson and the Lum-Tec; it's got a diver style bezel, has the legibility of an instrument watch, and yet is dressy enough to wear under a cuff.

I'm not slighting the other watches - they're both incredibly high quality pieces and I did enjoy wearing them. But I just can't imagine that I'll ever favor them over the Sinn. What do others find - is one watch really enough?

da-breeze while I will agree with you the 857 is really nice (I also just got mine ) I will say my obsession with nicer timepieces is only getting larger because of it.
    My collection is rather small but I carefully pick them and it is an evolution so I keep at it whenever funds permit.

I felt like that many years ago when I got my first Sinn, a 656. I ended up getting rid of several other watches I had at the time. Looking back, that first one was the gateway to an even stronger appreciation for Sinn watches (addiction?). I now have 3 of them...
    "I used to think it was getting a bit beat up but now that I know that it is just Wabi Sabi I feel much better." -BC Wave
    "This is an establishment of horological promiscuity. Of course you should pull the trigger!" -Dave M

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You're still in the honeymoon phase. Give it a few weeks. If you find that you're no longer wearing your other watches, then it may be time to say good bye. Enjoy your new watch. You may find yourself with a collection of Sinns.
    Last edited by Ottovonn; August 16th, 2013 at 19:46.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

I'll wear it for at least a week before I sell any of the others - that will be a good time to evaluate. I am reminded by the above comments that I kinda felt the same way about my M16 when I first got it (my first auto) but it didn't take long until I had started to acquire others.

You have to admit though, the 857 does kinda have it all...

It's probably just a new watch feeling, so maybe you will reconnect with the others after the newness wears off. Every person is different, though. I would be jealous of you if you found a watch that ended your desire for others. I recently got my first Sinn; I really like it, but it seems like every time I wear it I am reminded that I NEED MORE SINNS! My only saving grace is that there are other watches above "more Sinns" on my current wish list. Of course, those other watches are more expensive, so I guess it's not a saving grace at all.

I'm down to just the one...no regrets - and nothing on the horizon that makes me want to get rid of it or acquire something new...quite content - VERY well rounded...

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king...

+1 on the honeymoon phase...we've all been there...wear them all well!

"New brooms sweep clean".

Enjoy the 857 now as much as you want, after a while your love for other one's will return.
    da_breeze likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information