857 Now Running Fast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 857 Now Running Fast

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

857 Now Running Fast

I have a Sinn 857 UTC VFR. For the first 4 weeks, it was running about -0.3 spd, which was pretty satisfying. Then, all the sudden, it's fast about 45 spd. It's possible it could have gotten magnetized. I have an induction cooktop at home, and it's possible I may have gotten it too close when it was on. Rather than sending it back under warranty and risking a long time without it, I'm wondering if I can use one of those inexpensive watch demagnetizers from Amazon. Sinn supposedly builds this watch to withstand 4800 A/m. Would the inexpensive version of the demagnetizer make any difference? Or should I be concerned that something else is causing my watch to run fast? I figure the demagnetizer is an easy first step. I don't want to violate the warranty.

Re: 857 Now Running Fast

I'd normally suggest running the watch through a demagnetisation routine because it's a non invasive technique but I'm not sure how effective it would be on the 857. You could give it a whirl and see how you get on and if it gets no better it can be parcelled off under warranty. I suppose it depends if you're prepared to gamble to cost of a demagnetiser.

I think the 857 VFR, TESTAF, (orange 24 hour numbers) don’t have any anti-magnetism beyond what “regular” watches have. Something about not wanting to have any detrimental effect on a cockpit compass. So... it should demagnetize like a regular watch.

The normal 857 UTC (white 24 hour numbers) and non-UTC 857s have the 80,000 A/m anti-magnetic cage which would presumably be much harder to magnetize and demagnetize.

Not positive, just my guess from eye shopping these models...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can easily check if it’s magnetized, run a compass next to it. If it responds it’s magnetized, if not, it’s not. And the Amazon units works just fine. If it is magnetized, might take a couple of times to fully get it.
    Too many flipped...

I received my inexpensive demagnetizer yesterday and made two passes on my watch. After 12+ hours, it's running dead on time! Even better than before whatever caused it to run fast. I did confirm my particular 857 (the 857 UTC VFR) has the "normal" antimagnetic qualities of 4800 A/m. I'm very happy.
    nodnar, Spring-Diver and Geof3 like this.

FWIW, my 900 is 80,000 A/m and I’ve been looking at 857 models like the LH Cargo but kinda worrying about magnetism. Yours is but one example, but it seems not a big deal to demagnetize once and a while. Maybe I have nothing to fear.

Nice watch by the way, always need more pictures ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 156 started to randomly run fast. Magnetized for sure. No idea how it happened. Now, as a matter of “service” I hit it with the demagnetizer once a month or so. Won’t hurt it.
    Too many flipped...

Got a pic of the demagnetizer you bought?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisara View Post
    Got a pic of the demagnetizer you bought?
    Just google watch demagnetizer. There's one model that's sold by just about every Amazon seller. It's blue with a red button on top. The model number is No. 840.400, embossed on the top of the demagnetizer.

Name:  watch_demagnetizer_1542505623_574159da.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  160.0 KB
    Geof3 and Spring-Diver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MissileExpert View Post
    I received my inexpensive demagnetizer yesterday and made two passes on my watch. After 12+ hours, it's running dead on time! Even better than before whatever caused it to run fast. I did confirm my particular 857 (the 857 UTC VFR) has the "normal" antimagnetic qualities of 4800 A/m. I'm very happy.
    Late to the party but great stuff Missile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information