wkw

Re: 903 st

Another happy camper here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Love mine and IMO it kicks sand in the dial of the Navitimer.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Love mine and IMO it kicks sand in the dial of the Navitimer.
    Besides the obvious advantage of the 903, the price point, in what respect does the Sinn dial “kick the sand in the dial of the Navitimer”?

K

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

Lemania here;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _Ferdia_ and wkw like this.
    Grand Seiko SBGA229
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50
    Omega Planet Ocean 8500
    Limes Endurance 1000 GMT3

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Koerfgen View Post
    Besides the obvious advantage of the 903, the price point, in what respect does the Sinn dial “kick the sand in the dial of the Navitimer”?

K
    I can't answer for Sticky, but here is why I think so. Many of the Navitmer dials are too busy, bordering on blingy (my problem with Breitling in general). The winged logo (which is removed in the newer models), the B seconds counterweight, multiple lines of text, etc. There is a lot going on that dial anyway with the slide rule and subdials, so I think the just adding the understated Sinn is perfect. Also, i believe having the slide rule operated by a crown gives the 903 a tad more water resistance (10bar) than the Navitimer. I will admit that I'm biased and I'm not a fan of the Breitling brand in general or any of their watches (except the Navitimer, but not at $9K) in particular.
    Rolex 16710 GMT Master II // Sinn 903 // Seiko SPB053, SKX173, SSC027, SNA411 // A-13A Pilot Watch

Quote Originally Posted by nilbri View Post
    Love my 903
    I sure see why!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nbsheeran View Post
    I can't answer for Sticky, but here is why I think so. Many of the Navitmer dials are too busy, bordering on blingy (my problem with Breitling in general). The winged logo (which is removed in the newer models), the B seconds counterweight, multiple lines of text, etc. There is a lot going on that dial anyway with the slide rule and subdials, so I think the just adding the understated Sinn is perfect. Also, i believe having the slide rule operated by a crown gives the 903 a tad more water resistance (10bar) than the Navitimer. I will admit that I'm biased and I'm not a fan of the Breitling brand in general or any of their watches (except the Navitimer, but not at $9K) in particular.

Well, I consider these stylistic questions and someone who has chosen a Navitimer-style watch has for me - by default - accepted a busier dial.
    As someone who owns several of these models from both brands, I do not find that one dial is inherently superior to the other - let alone “kick the sand in the dial” of the other brand.
    That is simply not true.

Regarding the additional crown, that is a mixed blessing.
    For the majority of users, who hardly ever use the slide-rule, the crown brings a clear advantage, because it brings a level of water resistance that the Breitling Navitimer never could achieve.

For a pilot, who wants to use the slide-rule function the way it was meant to, it makes using this function considerably harder, bordeline impossible if you want to steer a small airplane with at least one hand.
    Nothing do do with the dial per se, of course...

So my take is that both are a worthy evolution of the original Navitimer concept, where Breitling with some models sometimes drifts dangerously into the “blingy” zone and Sinn has the edge on price, but could do better on quality control.*

Overall, as a “tool watch” and as aviation professional I prefer the Sinn by a narrow margin.

K.

* Owning a comparable number from both brands, I only once had to return a Breitling within the first two weeks for a mechanical issues, while with Sinn it happened quantifiably more often.
    Last edited by Kurt Koerfgen; July 29th, 2018 at 05:55.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

It really is just a matter of style and cost. I've been a professional aviator for twenty years. Never once did I need to use a slide rule to figure anything out. Let's be honest, the Navitimer-style bezel is an anachronism. Engineers certainly don't use slide rules anymore and pilots don't need one on their watch. The Navitimer-style in general today is a throwback to a bygone age that makes for a very interesting timepiece. Heck, I just ordered a Seiko SNA411 Flightmaster because I think it is neat looking watch. Maybe I'm wrong and you've used the bezel to figure out ETA and fuel burned enroute. If so, that's great. It just means you and I have flown different airplanes.

I would buy three Sinn watches for Breitling Navitimer money all day, every day.

PS: I was taught how to use a E6-B Whiz Wheel in pilot training. I never touched it again after I finished.
    Last edited by nbsheeran; July 29th, 2018 at 07:49. Reason: Added the PS
    Rolex 16710 GMT Master II // Sinn 903 // Seiko SPB053, SKX173, SSC027, SNA411 // A-13A Pilot Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information