Advice for a potential new Sinner
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Advice for a potential new Sinner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    So I’ve just travelled to the US for my 50th birthday with my wife. I already have a German watch, a Hanhart Pioneer which I am very impressed with. I’m not really a Swiss watch type of guy and whilst in the US I took a look at some Grand Seikos which I really like but nothing really did it for me and with the local tax the price at home in Europe is more favourable.

One morning we were sitting in a restaurant for breakfast opposite a guy who had a really nice looking watch on. I was looking at his watch and he was looking at mine. We struck up a conversation and it turns out he was wearing the Sinn 104 Limited Edition with the green dial. It was a really nice looking watch and dial but sadly I can see that this is a LE which has long sold out. I’ve looked at the white, black, blue and grey dials and they don’t quite do it for me like the green did.

I see that it’s 41mm which is a really nice size for my 7” wrist. The only thing that slightly put me off was the highly polished case and how it would show the scratches with some wear and tear. That’s also one of the things that puts me off the zaratsu polishing of the Grand Seikos.

So with a bit of research I see that Watchbuys have commissioned a Matte be rsion which looks great but they are out of stock. I’ve checked with Sinn and it’s a US model only so when I’m back in Europe the duty, tax and shipping is going to make it quite an expensive proposition.

I then started looking at the T1, T2, U1 and U2 ( I think) also nice watches but some of them too big I think compared to the 104 but all matte and bead blasted which I really like compared to shiny and polished stainless steel.

I’m looking for an every day watch so whilst the 104 and these others are completely different watches I could see myself wearing either one as a daily watch. I do however want an all matte/ bead blasted watch, case and bracelet. I don’t mind SS or titanium.

So being very new to Sinn what would you recommend as a 40-41mm daily wearer.

Anything existing or if I wait for a new release with that green dial am I likely to see one or is that unlikely?

I’m also visiting Vienna later in the year so would be good to know if there are any Sinn AD’s there where I can see and try on a good selection of the range.

Thanks

Re: Advice for a potential new Sinner

The EZM 3 would be a perfect choice. The case is similar to the 104.
    Memento Vivere likes this.

Advice for a potential new Sinner

In addition to the EZM 3 above. Although not the same look, the various 856 models are matt and highly scratch resistant. Then there’s the 103 models, one of which is a matte special edition. Of course these chronos are thicker than the 104. Even the 144 might be to your liking.

That said, if you’re not talking years, maybe give watchbuys a call to see if you could deposit and hold that matte 104 til your back in town.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sinn certainly does some great matte finishes, but it sounds like you really enjoyed the 104 until you started worrying about how it might look years down the road.
    The dial color is one thing--I totally understand that. But if you find that a dial color grows on you, I wouldn't discount the 104 or other models with polished cases. Sinn tool watches look like tools, and to my eye they take scratches and dings very well. I've never looked at a well-loved Sinn and thought "what a shame" (which I have done with pre-owned GS and some dressier pre-owned Rolex models).
    Having said that, if you really just enjoy the aesthetic of a matte or bead-blasted case better, then go for it! As was mentioned above, the 856 is a great choice and perhaps the most quintessential of Sinn's non-chronograph watches.

The 856 isn’t really to my taste, the EZM 3 however is.

One benefit I can see for the EZM 3 is I wear a watch on my left hand and with anything above 39-40mm I always find a little bit of discomfort with the crown digging into the back of my wrist after some time.

The crown on the left would alleviate that but I’ve never worn a watch with a crown on the left on my left hand. Any downsides to that, other than perhaps at first it looks a little odd as I’m not used to that?

I like the EZM3 for fit and finish.

I got lucky and found a classic EZM2. Everything I liked about the 3 but quartz and even better underwater.
    Last edited by GotSprings; October 21st, 2019 at 00:10.

My first Sinn was a 104. I had it for a good amount of time and really enjoyed it. In the end.. I sold it because of the polished case. Since I sold it..I’ve had a few other Sinn Models and recently purchased the EZM3F. I’ve only had the 3F for a month or so but I’m really enjoying it.
    I love the matte case and it wears exceptionally well and comfortable. Just like the 104 did. I would highly recommend the 3. The left hand crown is something I’m also really liking. It’s a unique feature and for me it really adds to the watch. It has however taken a bit of getting used to when I wind or set the date.
    Good luck

The EZM 3 is tough to beat. But it’s a completely different watch than the 104. The EZM’s are tool watches in their own right and work in most dress situations. The 104’s are a bit more “dressy” and can fly with just about anything. The EZM’s have some great Sinn tech, that the 104 does not. I’ve owned both, liked both. Can’t really go wrong with either one.
    Too many flipped...

Great plan .

Why not an 103? This is (for many SINN lovers) the most iconic SINN. Also not that expensive. Many Sinn-Freaks got this one first.
    If you are ready to spend the money even an EZM-1? Or with more color (you like green > do you like blue?): The old 203 Arktis is great, a real eyecatcher.
    So many SINNs to commit.....

Keep and eye on Page & Cooper as I wouldn’t be surprised if they spring a L.E. Sinn on us before the end of 2019.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information