Automatics as a watch rather than jewelery
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Automatics as a watch rather than jewelery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A sticking point I keep tripping over.

I really like the case design of the EZM3.
    I really prefer the dial, hands, and Titanium of the T2.

As I vacillate between these two pieces as a "one watch for all"... At ~$2000 or $3000... I keep coming back to my experience with Marathon.

The movement in the EZM3 and T2 is the exact same movement as in the Marathon GSAR. (Well until Sinn uses the new policy to swap around movements as they need to/see to.)

Now I know Sinn tweaks and uses oils and AR... But here is my experience.

That GSAR was one of the most infuriating devices I have owned. I had wanted a "quality automatic tool watch" for some time. Coming from always wearing quartz tritium watches... The GSAR checked a lot of boxes.

What it didn't do... Was keep time worth a S--t. One day it lost 3 seconds. One day it lost 18 seconds. One day a whopping 45 seconds. And there was no rhyme or reason to how much on what day.

On day 26 I wrote a long letter with a list of how many seconds the watch had deviated per day to Marathon. They didn't argue much and let me return the watch to Amazon. So I went back to my 12 year old Luminox 3602.

I really like the "idea" of getting the EZM3 or T2. But can help wonder... Will either one be any good as a watch?

So anyone wear either one of these everyday and feel they keep good time?
    Last edited by GotSprings; 3 Weeks Ago at 18:22.

Re: Automatics as a watch rather than jewelery

Sinn regulates their movements after casing, and anecdotally they seem to be consistently accurate. I know it's hard to believe, but my 103 runs at a couple seconds per week, and several times has gone a month without gaining or losing a second. That's better than my Casios.
    Having said that, I also own a vintage Rado that loses ~20 seconds per day, and I don't mind it. It's all a matter of how frequently you set the time.
    But, as you said, predictability is something of an issue.
    BrianMcKay likes this.

The problem with answering this is the fact that the best regulated, certified etc... mechanical watch can still gain/lose as much time in 1 day as a cheapo quartz watch does in a week or two.
    For some people this is a problem that chaps their sense of logic. Is it really sensible to pay so much for an inferior time keeper?

I wear a T1. I had to fiddle around with how to position it overnight when not wearing to find the position that caused it to gain the least amount of time. I also see a daily difference depending on activity. My t1 has never lost time, just gains. I set my watch 1x per week and purposely set it 5 seconds behind time. At end of week it is usually 15-20 seconds fast.

I'm OK with this for my life style and time "knowing" needs. When I travel for extended time, I like a quartz that is accurate to 2 seconds a week.
    BrianMcKay likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unfortunately, mechanical watches are not that accurate compared to the quartz. Not many manufacturers are making high-end quartz, only Omega (x-33, z-33) and Breitling (professional series) have offerings. Breitling may be getting rid of them. Shame. Sinn makes a good mechanical tool watch, but will never be as accurate as a quartz.

For me it comes back to the head vs. the heart.

We all make decisions based on different things. I make want the things around me to give me joy and make me smile a certain way. With a watch, I get that feeling from the amount of care and engineering and old school knowledge baked into my Sinn. If you get that feeling from practicality, then the argument for a mechanical watch might not win.

I think that wearing a mechanical watch is an emotional thing. And that is a great thing. If practicality were to always win out, this world could become a very bland place with no room for antique motorcycles or sports cars, cowboy boots, tatoos, or beer drinking.

I really like the way I feel when I think about these things including my mechanical watch. I hope where ever you end up in your discussion, you can feel the same way for a good reason.
    umarrajs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by f2002q View Post
    Unfortunately, mechanical watches are not that accurate compared to the quartz. Not many manufacturers are making high-end quartz, only Omega (x-33, z-33) and Breitling (professional series) have offerings. Breitling may be getting rid of them. Shame. Sinn makes a good mechanical tool watch, but will never be as accurate as a quartz.
    Not quite correct. Sinn does produce a high end quartz watch in the EZM2b UX. It is a thermo compensated, COSC certified movement.

Regarding the OP’s Marathon, you got a dud in the Marathon. No different than buying a lemon car. Sometimes it happens with mechanical things. I owned a Marathon and it ran fine. You can buy whichever Sinn piece you like. You will likely not have any issues at all.
    Last edited by Geof3; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:42.
    BrianMcKay likes this.
    Too many flipped...

Sounds like you got a bad Marathon - it can happen with any brand. A simple fact is the even the best mechanical won’t be as good when it comes to timekeeping as an affordable quartz. If you can live with that then a Sinn is a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSprings View Post
    A sticking point I keep tripping over.

I really like the case design of the EZM3.
    I really prefer the dial, hands, and Titanium of the T2.

As I vacillate between these two pieces as a "one watch for all"... At ~$2000 or $3000... I keep coming back to my experience with Marathon.

The movement in the EZM3 and T2 is the exact same movement as in the Marathon GSAR. (Well until Sinn uses the new policy to swap around movements as they need to/see to.)

Now I know Sinn tweaks and uses oils and AR... But here is my experience.

That GSAR was one of the most infuriating devices I have owned. I had wanted a "quality automatic tool watch" for some time. Coming from always wearing quartz tritium watches... The GSAR checked a lot of boxes.

What it didn't do... Was keep time worth a S--t. One day it lost 3 seconds. One day it lost 18 seconds. One day a whopping 45 seconds. And there was no rhyme or reason to how much on what day.

On day 26 I wrote a long letter with a list of how many seconds the watch had deviated per day to Marathon. They didn't argue much and let me return the watch to Amazon. So I went back to my 12 year old Luminox 3602.

I really like the "idea" of getting the EZM3 or T2. But can help wonder... Will either one be any good as a watch?

So anyone wear either one of these everyday and feel they keep good time?
    What do you think of the UX EZM2? That's got a quartz movement.
    BrianMcKay likes this.

My 103 is a similar story. Like all mechanical watches, wearing v. sitting in a box will produce variation in rate.

Quote Originally Posted by IndependentGeorge View Post
    What do you think of the UX EZM2? That's got a quartz movement.
    I talked myself into ordering it.

I ordered the Black on Black Tegimented on Bracelet.
    Watch showed up the next day in MD.
    Shipped right back to NC.
    Its just to big and clunky on a guy my size. (I have spent a lot of time trying to hunt down a EZM2 Hydro. But no luck yet.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information