Brand New vs Pre-Loved
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Brand New vs Pre-Loved

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brand New vs Pre-Loved

Hello guys!

I'm just breaking my head over this, specially with Sinn watches. It seems like they hold their value terribly. I'm considering a 103 ST Acrylic or a 856 UTC and at least for the 103, the re-sale price is terrible. The 856 UTC not so much, but neither is great.

I buy watches with the intention of keeping them forever but as we all know, sometimes a watch doesn't grow on us. So with that being said, should I just hunt down a pre-owned Sinn? or should I take the plunge and buy new?

And on another note... I think I like the UTC better, considering it is thinner, tougher, etc. Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated :)

If it matters at all, I currently own a Steinhart OVM and a Helson Skindiver.

Thanks!

Name:  sinn.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  215.1 KB
    Last edited by Diegos; January 28th, 2015 at 02:22.
    Helson | Casio | Sinn | JLC | IWC

Re: Brand New vs Pre-Loved

Very few brands hold value well. The answer for me on those that don't is to buy second hand, when someone else has taken the hit.

You're comparing two completely different watches here. Do you want a slim 3-hander or a big fat chrono? You want a Sinn; that's fine but answer that basic question first or you will end up selling it at a big loss. I have the 856 and it's my favourite watch, although I rarely wear it in favour of my others that are all quartz. I would never sell it and I would never buy a watch that's as thick as a 103. If brand name and resale value are your main concerns you are looking down the wrong end of the telescope.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Brand New vs Pre-Loved

Clearly if the financial aspect is important it's beneficial to buy used. But sometimes you end up waiting forever. I've been looking for a used Sinn 356 for months and when one finally came up on TZ I missed it.

I've decided to pull the trigger on a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same conundrum since values for SINN (like any brand) drop by 15% or so within a year. I have been wanting a U2 (black) but in the past few months only 1 showed-up on the sales forums and I missed it. Finally, pulled the trigger today on a new one today since Watchbuys recently cut the prices by 10%.

The watches that are on your list do show-up either on this forum or Ebay so you should be able to get a used one at a decent discount compared to Watchbuys.
    Diegos likes this.

I've multiple SINNs, 856UTC was my first and still my favorite. The nice low profile make it easy to wear. Pre-own is a great deal if you can find one that is fairly new or recently serviced, otherwise you need to account for X amount of money to have it serviced.
    Diegos likes this.
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

I disagree, and model is very important. You won't find a 103st for less than 1300-1500 unless it's older and possibly in so-so condition. New they are 1750.00. A 556 new is 1k-ish, used 7-800.00 usually. I could go on. Typically, most things we buy new, depreciate 30-50% right off the shelf. There are rare exceptions, but it is the way retail works. Any watch you buy will depreciate a great amount. The exceptions, to some degree, are Rolex, and a few others. Sinn watches actually hold value fairly well, compared to most, IMO.

Having said all that, there is a reason they don't come up often used, the people that buy them, keep them. One day, some pieces will achieve a uber-classic status and values will rise... EZM 1 is an example.
    Last edited by Geof3; January 29th, 2015 at 07:16.
    Too many flipped...

If the watch is in good condition and comes with all boxes/paperwork and either a service history or date of purchase, pre owned is always the way to go. Let someone else take the hit for you, you will end up saving a lot of money, and as long as the condition is within your comfort zone you'll be good.

When you buy new the watch can have shop wear on it, it could have been sitting around a while, and you will always pay a premium.

The problem is that when you buy pre owned watches online the seller will usually inflate the condition, or possibly "miss" a scratch here or there. Always buy using a service that offers protection- eBay, pay with PayPal, etc. I would not buy sight unseen via bank transfer.
    rudwin likes this.

Thanks for the input guys! I know they are completely different watches and as much as I love both, I have to think critically in what I want. It is going to be my most expensive watch to date and I want it to be as perfect as it can be, I'm not buying it as an investment, I'm buying it because of the reputation they have, the quality, german made and that it may pass off as a regular watch to the average man.

I brought up the depreciation of the watches as I've seen a couple of 103 ST going for 1K, not in grate shape though. I'm going to be patient and once I've made my mind up I'm going to to hunt a pre-loved Sinn. And who knows, if I don't find a pre-owned in the few months I may just be in time to try on one at the watchbuys road show.
    Helson | Casio | Sinn | JLC | IWC

Quote Originally Posted by Diegos View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! I know they are completely different watches and as much as I love both, I have to think critically in what I want. It is going to be my most expensive watch to date and I want it to be as perfect as it can be, I'm not buying it as an investment, I'm buying it because of the reputation they have, the quality, german made and that it may pass off as a regular watch to the average man.

I brought up the depreciation of the watches as I've seen a couple of 103 ST going for 1K, not in grate shape though. I'm going to be patient and once I've made my mind up I'm going to to hunt a pre-loved Sinn. And who knows, if I don't find a pre-owned in the few months I may just be in time to try on one at the watchbuys road show.
    Keep in mind, if you find one at low market it is probable to have to spend a few hundred to get the watch serviced. By the time you do that, you could potentially just buy new. I'm fine buying used, but there is a bit of risk. The new premium has a warranty attached etc. If the watch dies in said period, get it fixed or replaced free. Used, not going to happen. Just something to consider.
    Too many flipped...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information