Buying a Sinn in Austria
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 1981Eagle
  • 2 Post By WatchProblem

Thread: Buying a Sinn in Austria

Buying a Sinn in Austria

I live in the USA and my wife and I are visiting Prauge, Munich, Vienna, Salzburg, and Budapest on a 4-country, 5-city tour.

There are several AD's for Sinn in the cities we will be visiting, but the one that works out best for distance and time is Uhren Wimmer in Austria.

I would like to bring home a 556A on a bracelet. I am not really buying in the EU to save any money, or to get a better deal, I would like to come home with a meaningful souvenir of the trip and not a trinket or some other 'tourist junk'

On to my questions:
    1. Any pitfalls to buying in the EU and bringing it back?
    2. When it comes time for service, is there a USA service center? Or would I have to ship it overseas for service?
    3. I've never bought something expensive enough to get a VAT refund and pay customs ... anyone familiar with that process, I could use some tips.

Thanks in advance
    Why is it I always get my best ideas while shaving?
    - Albert Einstein

Current Rotation - Breiting Avenger II Seawolf, Omega Seamaster 2255.80 Electric Blue, Sinn 104 St Sa I W (white), Tag Foruma 1 Calibre 5, Tissot TXL tank, Luminox Series 3900 Navy Seal (yellow)

A

Re: Buying a Sinn in Austria

Those are great cities you're visiting. Enjoy! My wife and I really loved the charm of Budapest.

1) Pitfalls - Minor if any; exchange rate and maybe you may not get documentation in English. I do not have personal experience with Sinn.
    2) Servicing - contact WatchBuy (recommended by Sinn) or RGM Watches. In the past I've read RGM is not equipped to fill the argon gas, but that may have changed.
    3) VAT refund - Ask if shop participates in "Tax Free" shopping. Not all shops offer this service. In regards to documentation I've been able to get the shops to provide the necessary form/receipt by presenting my driver's license, but it is recommended to have your passport available. On your return trip back to the US make sure you have the watch with retail packaging and proof of purchase in hand (DO NOT check-in). The VAT refund agent will not process if you have the goods and/or proof of purchase in your checked baggage. I've seen people turned away and they hold up the lines because they only bring their receipt and VAT refund forms.

Thanks ... I'm going to go for it.

Too often I come back from a trip with nothing, or some cheap tourist-y souvenir - I want something lasting and memorable
    jarlleif likes this.
    Why is it I always get my best ideas while shaving?
    - Albert Einstein

Current Rotation - Breiting Avenger II Seawolf, Omega Seamaster 2255.80 Electric Blue, Sinn 104 St Sa I W (white), Tag Foruma 1 Calibre 5, Tissot TXL tank, Luminox Series 3900 Navy Seal (yellow)

A

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Buying a Sinn in Austria

Did this very thing in April...bought a Sinn 556 at the Flagship store in Frankfurt. I spent nearly an hour in the shop talking watches and trying on various models. I would suggest giving yourself plenty of time to enjoy the experience.

Also, buy accessories/extra straps while at the store. They seem to be cheaper in EU then getting them here.

The VAT refund process is quite easy and well worth it. Whatever program they use, just follow the directions. If it’s possible to do the refund in the city, I would suggest doing that and paying the small fee. That way you don’t forget it later.

I can not tell you about declaring the watch when you return, because I live in China and don’t have to declare such things. Following the rules is probably the best policy.

One last thought....when in Munich, visit Augustiner Keller Bier Hall. Far less touristy than Hofbrau Haus with better food and beer IMO. Ask to sit in the cellar!

Enjoy your trip.

Oh, and my Germany Souvenir:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WatchProblem; August 19th, 2018 at 10:42.
    mizzy and 1981Eagle like this.
    ...has a problem with watches, knives, guns, leather goods and other shiny/well made things.

I did much the same thing a few months ago when I went to Austria and Germany for work. There are two Sinn ADs that I checked out in the Marienplatz area of Munich, neither had a huge collection. There were a few models that I was interested in, but ended up with the classic 556.

There are two authorized Sinn dealers in Vienna:

MG Uhrmacherei GmbH

Boutique:
    Rotenturmstraße 29
    1010 Wien
    Die Uhrmacherei ? Uhrenreparatur und Verkauf
    Sinn page Sinn ? Die Uhrmacherei

Uhren Wimmer

Boutique:
    Arnsteingasse 21
    1150 Wien

You may want to check the German Sinn site for watches - there are a lot you don't see here in the US. If you find one you like, you might want to contact the store of your choice and make sure that they'll have it for you.

Most everyone speaks English.

The way the "tax free" shopping works is that you pay the tax at the store and they fill out the paperwork (you'll need your passport showing you aren't a resident). When you leave Austria, you'll go to the tax free office and get a (significant) portion of the tax back.

I'm sure you'll find something for your wife too.

This place is at the end of Rotenturmstrasse near the Schwedenplatz metro station (U-Bahn). When you're there, don't forget to go to the Eissalon Schwedenplatz and have some ice cream - one of the best ice cream places in town.

If you're hungry, across from the eissalon (between the ice cream place and the canal) is a "permanent food truck" that has the best kabob sandwiches in town - it is the larger of the two stands.

There are two authorized Sinn dealers in Vienna:

MG Uhrmacherei GmbH

Boutique:
    Rotenturmstraße 29
    1010 Wien
    Die Uhrmacherei ? Uhrenreparatur und Verkauf
    Sinn page Sinn ? Die Uhrmacherei

Uhren Wimmer

Boutique:
    Arnsteingasse 21
    1150 Wien

You may want to check the German Sinn site for watches - there are a lot you don't see here in the US. If you find one you like, you might want to contact the store of your choice and make sure that they'll have it for you.

Most everyone speaks English.

The way the "tax free" shopping works is that you pay the tax at the store and they fill out the paperwork (you'll need your passport showing you aren't a resident). When you leave Austria, you'll go to the tax free office and get a (significant) portion of the tax back.

I'm sure you'll find something for your wife too.

This place is at the end of Rotenturmstrasse near the Schwedenplatz metro station (U-Bahn). When you're there, don't forget to go to the Eissalon Schwedenplatz and have some ice cream - one of the best ice cream places in town.

If you're hungry, across from the eissalon (between the ice cream place and the canal) is a "permanent food truck" that has the best kabob sandwiches in town - it is the larger of the two stands.

The things I do for this forum

I landed in Vienna last night for a short layover and went by MG Uhrmacherei on Rotenturmstrasse this evening. Although the store was closed, it had at least 20 Sinn watches in the window. I'll see if I can go by the other one tomorrow

I think you are already "post festam" in the meantime, so just a few thoughts: I live in Budapest and sad to say that there is no Sinn depot here any more - used to be, but not today. I hope they'll establish one again some day. I did not have good experiences with Uhren Wimmer in Vienna when I've tried to buy from them. Sinn HQ/Frankfurt has always been a good partner when I turned to them so far. So I suggest this way of purchasing.
    Only my two cents of course.
    Plz let us be informed how your business happened at the end of the day! Best,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robertus View Post
    I think you are already "post festam" in the meantime, so just a few thoughts: I live in Budapest and sad to say that there is no Sinn depot here any more - used to be, but not today. I hope they'll establish one again some day. I did not have good experiences with Uhren Wimmer in Vienna when I've tried to buy from them. Sinn HQ/Frankfurt has always been a good partner when I turned to them so far. So I suggest this way of purchasing.
    Only my two cents of course.
    Plz let us be informed how your business happened at the end of the day! Best,
    Robert
    Agreed. I'd pass on Wimmer. I don't trust a store these days that has no web presence.

Thread Information