Calling 856 S UTC Owners...
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By rdranade
  • 1 Post By flatbows
  • 1 Post By Commandercody66

Thread: Calling 856 S UTC Owners...

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member Commandercody66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    22

    Calling 856 S UTC Owners...

    Hi folks,

    After purchasing my first Sinn back in January (103 sa B E), I was so impressed with it I'm looking to expand my Sinn collection

    The shortlist was between the EZM13 and 856 S UTC. I'm veering towards the 856 as I travel between Europe and the Far East regularly so GTM function is going to be a plus. I also like the black stealth look of the watch and imagine would be a strap monster with natos/Erika Originals/rubber straps. The tegimented steel is also going to be a bonus as it'll replace my old Tudor Black Bay Bronze as an everyday 'beater' watch.

    I'm looking for 856 S UTC owners to share your experience of this watch. Pics of your watch with various straps would also be much appreciated

  2. #2
    Member rdranade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    120

    Re: Calling 856 S UTC Owners...

    I have mine on the bracelet but I put it briefly on an Erica’s MN strap and I can confirm it looks fantastic



  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    74

    Re: Calling 856 S UTC Owners...

    It’s a fantastic watch and keeps time approximately +3 secs per day


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Commandercody66 likes this.
    Chuck P
    (7.25" wrist size)

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    33

    Re: Calling 856 S UTC Owners...

    Is it required to have RGM service the Sinn watches? I'm thinking about picking up a Sinn 856 UTC. If I didn't care about the humidity capsule or gas filled case could I just have any watch maker service the watch?

  6. #5
    Member rdranade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    120

    Re: Calling 856 S UTC Owners...

    Quote Originally Posted by bearbear View Post
    Is it required to have RGM service the Sinn watches? I'm thinking about picking up a Sinn 856 UTC. If I didn't care about the humidity capsule or gas filled case could I just have any watch maker service the watch?
    I’m curious about this as well. The only thing stopping me from going to a local watchmaker is that stupid capsule and the gaskets in the little “pill” thing they use to put it in the case. Eventually those will wear out and you basically have a huge point of entry for water in the lug.

    I remember a loooooong time ago on some forum somebody opened up an 856 and the crown mechanism was nothing special (meaning no special gaskets) so the argon gas would eventually leak out anyways. I wish I could cite a source this and would love for somebody with more knowledge to chime in and prove me wrong lol

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Calling 856 S UTC Owners...

    Quote Originally Posted by rdranade View Post
    I’m curious about this as well. The only thing stopping me from going to a local watchmaker is that stupid capsule and the gaskets in the little “pill” thing they use to put it in the case. Eventually those will wear out and you basically have a huge point of entry for water in the lug.

    I remember a loooooong time ago on some forum somebody opened up an 856 and the crown mechanism was nothing special (meaning no special gaskets) so the argon gas would eventually leak out anyways. I wish I could cite a source this and would love for somebody with more knowledge to chime in and prove me wrong lol
    Not so stupid, I think. Gaskets wearing out is hardly an issue since the only time the capsule will get moved is at service, when it will be replaced. Its two-fold function seems very useful. First, if any moisture does get in it will absorb it until the CuSO4 is fully hydrated, and second, the colour change is an early warning of the problem. Not many watches will do that for you.

    The gas fill is, I believe, now nitrogen, and its utility in avoiding oxidation of the oils may be less important, but I don't know of any tests that show how much of the 100% N2 gas gets replaced by 80/20 N2/O2 between services.

  8. #7
    Member Commandercody66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    22

    Re: Calling 856 S UTC Owners...

    Thanks for the response guys Just ordered, now the wait for the watch to arrive!
    J4G likes this.

  9. #8
    Member ghettochild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    15

    Re: Calling 856 S UTC Owners...

    Quote Originally Posted by rdranade View Post
    I have mine on the bracelet but I put it briefly on an Erica’s MN strap and I can confirm it looks fantastic


    Which MN strap is this? Original? Vintage? Thanks in advance.

  10. #9
    wkw
    wkw is offline
    Member wkw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,911

    Re: Calling 856 S UTC Owners...

    Very happy with mine for the past 11 years.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. chris01

Similar Threads

  1. Sinn 856 Non-UTC - Owner Input Requested
    By robi516 in forum Public Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 15th, 2014, 05:52
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 11th, 2012, 05:08
  3. Calling any 1998 Chronolog Owner!
    By jcalka in forum Breitling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 25th, 2007, 00:07
  4. FS: Sinn 856 S UTC on Bracelet
    By pugridiron in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 26th, 2006, 23:28
  5. Calling all Archimede Pilot owners for questions
    By Watchmonkey in forum German watches
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 30th, 2006, 19:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •