Calling on people that have owned a UX and U2

Thread: Calling on people that have owned a UX and U2

Calling on people that have owned a UX and U2

Hi All,

I own a UX now and might have an oppurtunity to by a U2 in the near future.

Here are some obvious differences:

UX vs. U2
    Quartz vs. Auto
    Chronometer rating vs. no rating for movement
    GMT vs. Non
    13.5mm thick vs. 15.3mm thick
    Oil filled vs. inert gas, copper sulfate capsules, and Sinn 66-228 oil

What other thoughts or comparisons do people that own / have owned both have. WHat is / was your favorite and why? Did you sell one? Will buying a U2 lead to selling the UX?

As far as the UX I love the wearability of it. Does the thicker U2 feel different? What are the weight differeces?

I love the visibility of the UX's dial. I have seen Tim's wrist video's of both. What are thougts on the U2's dial and visibility as compared to the UX?

Regards
    Regards

Barry

Moderator Emeritus

Re: Calling on people that have owned a UX and U2

After owning my UX for over two years and my U2 for a little shy of 3 years and having given the UX 1000+ hours of wrist time and having worn my U2 for well over 8,000 hours and both in extreme environmental and climactic conditions, I have come to some conclusions that I find hard to ignore and/or marginalize.

First, both watches are definitely on the keep list. They will not be put up for sale or stuck in a drawer and forgotten for any significant amount of time. I have bought many, many watches of all shapes and sizes, from eco-drives to g-shocks and other inexpensive to expensive quartz watches to inexpensive to expensive autos from the far east to the far west and have never, I repeat never, sold any of them, as I find I go through periods of nostalgia where the flavour of the day from years past becomes somehow relevant again and the subsequent reappearance of that baby on my wrist for a period of time is inevitable. So, I have a large and varied group of time pieces to look at and evaluate. After all of these ownership experiences, I would rate the U2 as #1 and the UX as #2 in my collection and I still have the deepest respect for the technology and durability and reliability and resilience of both of these EZMs.

The U2 and UX are completely different watches and represent different styles to me. I wear my UX when Iím out and about takiní care of business and meeting with people. It fits well under sleeved shirts and just a quick glace will give me the time from any angle or lighting condition. (slipping a glance to your watch can be considered rude when in meetings!!!) The U2 is my evening and weekend watch and accompanies me with my oleí carhartt bibs and hunting hat and my old puma white hunter hunting knife as I get on with getting on with whatís fun and interesting in my personal life.

The UX, to this old bushwhacker, seems to have an elegance to the rugged and exacting construction. A refined look, very business like. The U2, to me, is a very substantial, titanic and testostoronial and highly professional extreme condition watch. Why? Well, the larger diameter bezel and the super thick domed sap crystal which has a most tantalizing and grin inducing distortion at extreme angles just sort of does it for me. Itís massive and feels a bit more massive but not overwhelming and it's just fun to wear and know that extreme temps and environmental conditions wonít affect it at all. The UX for all that it is, to me, cannot pull this off. I find the grin factor to be greater with the U2 and the ďneatoĒ factor (the clarity of the UX dial with the cool effect of the oil filled case is wicked and irreproducible) more prevalent with the UX. Both when compared to other offerings from other companies are, in my opinion, much more substantial and just screams quality. Iím sure that aficionados of other watch companies and their offerings will feel differently with this last statement.

The red gmt inner dial marking and hand are completely non attention grabbing and donít distract the viewer from the clarity of the hour, minute and second hands and in poor lighting, becomes almost invisible. After a period of ownership, you donít even notice it at all. The hour and minute hand canít be mistaken for each other. The clarity of design is significant.

Just a note here. All automatic watches, no matter how bulletproof and hermetically sealed the case, have a main weakness. The movement. You canít get around the fact that your U2 has an ETA movement and that movement is no more durable or invincible than any other watch from any other company with a similar movement. Your U2 can handle environmental and climactic conditions that others canít due to the technology that has been put into it. Thatís the difference, that and clarity of dial design (debatable). Donít go around bashing your U2 just because its case is substeel and the crystal is almost 5mm thick. Your movement can only handle so much shock and this is the weak point to all autos.

If you want to slam your wrist down and have everyone present check out your watch and go ďholy crap!! Thatís a mean lookiní watch!!Ē the U2 is your guy!

Oh yes, to the question askedÖ.the U2 is my fav!!

Regards,
    Tim

Banned

To our new members, Tim-g-h-b-b is our resident "U2 guru", his opinions and words are gold!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tim got his boots back View Post
    After owning my UX for over two years and my U2 for a little shy of 3 years and having given the UX 1000+ hours of wrist time and having worn my U2 for well over 8,000 hours and both in extreme environmental and climactic conditions, I have come to some conclusions that I find hard to ignore and/or marginalize.

First, both watches are definitely on the keep list. They will not be put up for sale or stuck in a drawer and forgotten for any significant amount of time. I have bought many, many watches of all shapes and sizes, from eco-drives to g-shocks and other inexpensive to expensive quartz watches to inexpensive to expensive autos from the far east to the far west and have never, I repeat never, sold any of them, as I find I go through periods of nostalgia where the flavour of the day from years past becomes somehow relevant again and the subsequent reappearance of that baby on my wrist for a period of time is inevitable. So, I have a large and varied group of time pieces to look at and evaluate. After all of these ownership experiences, I would rate the U2 as #1 and the UX as #2 in my collection and I still have the deepest respect for the technology and durability and reliability and resilience of both of these EZMs.

The U2 and UX are completely different watches and represent different styles to me. I wear my UX when Iím out and about takiní care of business and meeting with people. It fits well under sleeved shirts and just a quick glace will give me the time from any angle or lighting condition. (slipping a glance to your watch can be considered rude when in meetings!!!) The U2 is my evening and weekend watch and accompanies me with my oleí carhartt bibs and hunting hat and my old puma white hunter hunting knife as I get on with getting on with whatís fun and interesting in my personal life.

The UX, to this old bushwhacker, seems to have an elegance to the rugged and exacting construction. A refined look, very business like. The U2, to me, is a very substantial, titanic and testostoronial and highly professional extreme condition watch. Why? Well, the larger diameter bezel and the super thick domed sap crystal which has a most tantalizing and grin inducing distortion at extreme angles just sort of does it for me. Itís massive and feels a bit more massive but not overwhelming and it's just fun to wear and know that extreme temps and environmental conditions wonít affect it at all. The UX for all that it is, to me, cannot pull this off. I find the grin factor to be greater with the U2 and the ďneatoĒ factor (the clarity of the UX dial with the cool effect of the oil filled case is wicked and irreproducible) more prevalent with the UX. Both when compared to other offerings from other companies are, in my opinion, much more substantial and just screams quality. Iím sure that aficionados of other watch companies and their offerings will feel differently with this last statement.

The red gmt inner dial marking and hand are completely non attention grabbing and donít distract the viewer from the clarity of the hour, minute and second hands and in poor lighting, becomes almost invisible. After a period of ownership, you donít even notice it at all. The hour and minute hand canít be mistaken for each other. The clarity of design is significant.

Just a note here. All automatic watches, no matter how bulletproof and hermetically sealed the case, have a main weakness. The movement. You canít get around the fact that your U2 has an ETA movement and that movement is no more durable or invincible than any other watch from any other company with a similar movement. Your U2 can handle environmental and climactic conditions that others canít due to the technology that has been put into it. Thatís the difference, that and clarity of dial design (debatable). Donít go around bashing your U2 just because its case is substeel and the crystal is almost 5mm thick. Your movement can only handle so much shock and this is the weak point to all autos.

If you want to slam your wrist down and have everyone present check out your watch and go ďholy crap!! Thatís a mean lookiní watch!!Ē the U2 is your guy!

Oh yes, to the question askedÖ.the U2 is my fav!!

Regards,
    Tim
    Hi Tim,

good to see that you still love your Sinns!
    I had a meeting with some guys at Sinn a couple of weeks ago for a watch test.

I still like Sinn, they always come up with something you wouldnīt expect!
    Letīs see what the future brings!

I hope you and your business are doing well!!!
    Cheers Marcus

My experiences might be a little different than what you're looking for, but heck, it's only .02 worth so there.

I have a UX on bracelet that is currently in the Motherland for service. I just recently acquired a U2s on a Greg Stevens strap.

Soooo, my comparison is between a UX and a black U2. I absolutely love both watches for different reasons. I prefer the UX as a daily wear tool watch. I love that fact that without checking the hack for months, it'll only be a second or two off. The U2s was a little (about 5 secs) fast, but it seems to be settling down to within COSC specs.

Dials and legibitlity. Both look superb! The viewing angle advantage and near 3 dimensional look of the UX is fantastic, but I will admit the U2s looks awesome also. My buddies wife (who I bought the watch from) said that the U2s was her favorite out of all his watches.

Bottom line for me, especially since my U2 is black is that I love them both and like Tim, probably won't part with either. I agree with his review too. His points are dead on.
    S/F
    Vern

Eterna Kontiki
    UTS 2000m Pacific Blue
    Kobold SOA (gone)
    Sinn UX
    Seiko Orange Monster (gone)
    Seiko Tuna
    Korsbek Ocean Explorer
    Sinn U2S (gone)
    Kobold AD, destro, polished
    Ball Spacemaster X-lume
    DWP x 2 (#14 & #85)
    Misc others

Nice reviews gents.

Just wondering, is there a special lume on the UX because of the oil filling? Is the lume better/worse than the U2?

I've read about some Sinn models have flaky lume. Noticed anything like this?

I'd love to get a UX at some point soon. Hopefully before the year is out.

Thanks to those that have responded. Your opinions are highly valued.

Especilaly yours Tim. I am on my second go around on your U owners experience thread. After I read it the first time, I bought the UX. I have a feeling I know what will happen this time.

Regards
    Regards

Barry

Thread Information