Can't install the bracelet on my 857
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Donlab
  • 1 Post By OedipusFlex

Thread: Can't install the bracelet on my 857

Can't install the bracelet on my 857

Having a super difficult time installing the spring bars in the lug holes. Concerned about scratching the PVD coating. Even resorted to taking it to a local jeweler, but even he threw up his hand in frustration. Is there some trick to this I haven't learned yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Donlab View Post
    Having a super difficult time installing the spring bars in the lug holes. Concerned about scratching the PVD coating. Even resorted to taking it to a local jeweler, but even he threw up his hand in frustration. Is there some trick to this I haven't learned yet?
    Maybe your bracelet doesn't have 857 end links?

Re: Can't install the bracelet on my 857

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Spring bar pliers are the tool for bracelets ideally.

Name:  s-l1000.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  57.0 KB

Do the spring bars have shoulders?
    I tried to put some shouldered spring bars on my UX bracelet (the same as an 857) and found that the shoulder prevented me from compressing far enough.
    I had to go back to the original spring bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like my jewellers finally figured it out. Was told it works best for this model if both pins are compressed simultaneously. Wish I'd known about spring bar pliers before this headache began! Sinn lug holes are pretty tight and the end links are machined to such a tight tolerance that you can't really install one end then the other like you can with looser made links. Both ends of the springbar have to be pressed in for the end link to seat properly in alignment with the lug holes.
    gfabbri likes this.

Hey, I sold this bracelet and wish I had seen the thread sooner. As I messaged Don privately, it is a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to quickly change straps without damaging the lugs. However, we should remember on Sinn's tegimented pieces at least, that damaging the outer surface with tools is a rare occurrence because of the coating's sheer hardness.

That said, here is a link to another thread with some videos detailing the removal of another famously finicky bracelet on the Tudor Pelegos: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/how...ss-936031.html

The same idea (above) applies to Sinn bracelets, with the main difference being that Sinn uses shoulderless spring bars with its drilled lug hole cases (which actually makes removal easier). Using a pin, or even better the "pusher" side of the Sinn's strap change tool, works extremely well to push the spring bar through the lug. It helps to put a bit of pressure on the top of the end link with your supporting hand; there should be enough give between the pieces that once the spring bar is released, the whole endlink should pop up on one side. The tricky part is adjusting your hands to keep pressure on the end link, making sure the spring bar doesn't slip back into its hole, while releasing the other side. This is where I found the above video most helpful.

Conversely, installing the bracelet is pretty much the reverse process. Start by placing the endlink (with spring bar inside) across the back of the lugs so that the springbar tips rest above the holes. The curve of the endlink should match the angle and curve of the case exactly so there is no shimmying required later on. Now, using the pusher tool, carefully compress one side of the spring bar while applying downward pressure across the back of the end link. This is where scratches may occur; but because Sinn's tool is rounded and the spring bar ends are rounded, most scratches can be avoided with a with a steady hand and making sure the watch is on a flat surface. The compressed spring bar should slide down just below the inner lip of the lug with sufficient downward pressure (again, the tip is rounded and won't scratch on the way down). It is IMPORTANT to keep applying pressure across the back of the endlink throughout this process so that sucker doesn't pop out. Repeat process for other side (easier said than done) and once opposite side spring bar reaches the inside of the lug, both should slide the final fraction of a millimeter down into the lug holes and click securely into place.

Hope that helps. I wish I had made a video, but that would have required a 3rd or 4th hand for sure.

-Alex
    Spring-Diver likes this.
    IG: @Oedipusflexx

duplicate
    Last edited by OedipusFlex; June 12th, 2018 at 16:00. Reason: duplicate
    IG: @Oedipusflexx

Thread Information