Contemplating an EZM2 or UX

Thread: Contemplating an EZM2 or UX

Contemplating an EZM2 or UX

Hi guys,
    I've been contemplating buying a EZM2. As an admitted long time mechanical loving watch snob, I've avoided quartz for the most part of the past 6 years. Lately, however, I'm coming back around to the advantages of quartz watches. Been wearing my old Omega Seamaster quartz a lot more lately, and remembering why I bought it in the first place.

Seems like most of the military and police issue watches are quartz now. I suspect acquisition cost has something to do with it, but reliability, robustness, and accuracy certainly play into the equation. I know that I've beat the hell out of my old Seamaster, and in 6 years the battery has been changed once. Now I'm looking at all the mechanical watches I own and calculating what they're going to cost me over time in maintenence. Had a Rolex serviced a few months ago back in the US and it cost me $450. It was only so cheap because I am friends with the watchmaker and he cut me a break!

I have watches that I've truely used as tool watches: dive tools. They're all quartz. Then I have watches I consider more asthetic "tool watches" which are mechanical. With rare exceptions, when I know I'm going into a situation where I'll likely beat a watch, I wear one of the quartz ones. Hmmm

Since I no longer have the big income I used to, I'm being a lot more choosey about what I purchase. The practical side of me is kicking in again. I'm thinking about selling one of my more expensive mechanicals and buying another really good quartz based dive watch. The EZM2 appeals to me. I like the size and the super clean dial. The UX, besides being currently unavailable, is a bit big for my taste, I think, but I still like it alot.

What I don't like is the fact that the watches have to be sent to Sinn for a battery change. The practical side of me doesn't like that! I would prefer to do it myself, or take it to a local watchmaker who could pressure test it (if there was a local watchmaker out here in the sticks, lol).

Just wondered what your thoughts might be on this. I don't really need a quartz vs mechanical lesson. I think this really comes down to whether I choose Sinn or go with some other brand that doesn't use oil filled cases. This is the only issue I'm struggling with.
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

Banned

Re: Contemplating an EZM2 or UX

I bought a EZM2 several months ago, and I guess I will go for the UX, too. The EZM2 is my first quartz watch in over 15 years. When I first saw pictures and specifications of the EZM2 years ago, I was impressed. But I did not buy one due to the same reasons you are giving. When I learned that it is going to be out of production soon, I finally took the plunge, and I did not regret it so far.

Maintenance costs should be low as battery lifetime should be 4-5 years. The battery of the UX even lasts longer, 7 years according to the Sinn homepage.
    Accuracy is very good; I set the watch once about 4-5 months ago, and so far it is ~10 seconds fast.

I never thought that I'd have so much fun with a quartz watch.

Quote Originally Posted by ferdinand
    I bought a EZM2 several months ago, and I guess I will go for the UX, too. The EZM2 is my first quartz watch in over 15 years. When I first saw pictures and specifications of the EZM2 years ago, I was impressed. But I did not buy one due to the same reasons you are giving. When I learned that it is going to be out of production soon, I finally took the plunge, and I did not regret it so far.

Maintenance costs should be low as battery lifetime should be 4-5 years. The battery of the UX even lasts longer, 7 years according to the Sinn homepage.
    Accuracy is very good; I set the watch once about 4-5 months ago, and so far it is ~10 seconds fast.

I never thought that I'd have so much fun with a quartz watch.
    Thanks for the feedback Ferdinand! Sounds like the watch has excellent accuracy. I am concerned about the maintenance cost though. One would expect that the cost would be lower than a mechanical, say the EZM3, but the need to send it to Sinn seems to me to reduce one of the advantages of quartz.

I could, for instance, change the battery and replace the gasket in my Omega Seamaster myself, if I was so inclined. All I need is a case back opener and the appropriate battery/gasket. That I can buy from a watch parts supplier. So, I guess the decision I have to make is whether I like the watch enough to incur roughly the same maintenance cost as an EZM3.

BTW, I do realize that there ARE mechanical parts in a quartz watch that need service. I just can't imagine that the mechanical aspects require servicing every 5-7 years. Maybe I'm wrong?
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Bruce, I am with you 100% on the maintenance cost a nd the fact that when the going gets tough, the tough go quartz (barring thze temperatures in Timmins in the winter, and ice-diving ). Much as I love mechanical watches, whenever I go where only a single watch goes with me, it is usually a tough but expendable quartz watch, because of the accuracy and the ruggedness.

As for the silicone oil, I reckon that a silicon-oil-filled watch needs new lume every battery change cycle, and a service at the factory is in order about that time too, so it's a package deal once e´very 5-7 years (depending on one's preferred margin of safety).

One benefit of silicone-oil-filled watches is the excellent readability under water from any angle.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Thanks Martin. I reckon you're right about needing new lume, etc. Guess I'll stick to cheaper models, like Eddie's for quartz. I reckon the oil helps with vis, but to be honest, i've never had a problem reading a watch underwater
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

Go for the UX , Bruce!
    I love it, and I had never, never, never thought I could like a Quarz watch!
    It´s fantastic.

oyster

I've gone for the EZM2 It's more my style. Been a long time since I was so excited about getting a quartz watch, but this one is pretty cool! In the end, I just wanted it. Checked with the UK AD and apparently additional UXs aren't due in until Novemeber.

Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

Thread Information