Copper Sulphate Capsule Turning Blue

Thread: Copper Sulphate Capsule Turning Blue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Copper Sulphate Capsule Turning Blue

Hi to everyone who owns a U2. Can I ask what is the state of the copper sulphate capsule in your U2 presently? What colour is it after you had it for a couple of months?

I am asking because mine is turning blue (fairly blue) and it is only after 6 months approximately (from time of purchase). It could be the fact that living in the tropics where the humdity is high most of the time.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Moderator Emeritus

Re: Copper Sulphate Capsule Turning Blue

Mine is 7 months old and the site glass is still as white as the day I got it. Haven't noticed a change in colour at all.

Sorry to hear of your apparent moisture ingress. You should be getting better performance out of your viton gaskets than that. I know that these gaskets are very fragile and must be inserted in place very, very carefully. Maybe you have an improper gasket placement and it got pinched or something.

I know you will be monitoring it. Please keep us informed Jeff. Very interesting stuff.

Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Cat
    Hi to everyone who owns a U2. Can I ask what is the state of the copper sulphate capsule in your U2 presently? What colour is it after you had it for a couple of months?

I am asking because mine is turning blue (fairly blue) and it is only after 6 months approximately (from time of purchase). It could be the fact that living in the tropics where the humdity is high most of the time.

Ouch ... given that the U2 has three of them capsules, I would be inclined to take bluing quite seriously ... Tim may well be rightin his assessment.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

my u2 which is 9 days old has a very faint bluish tint to it the indicator. you have to hold it up to some strong light to notice it, but it's definitely not stark white like the hands or the indices. hope it's not a bad sign of things to come but it sounds like yours might need a trip back to frankfurt in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen
    my u2 which is 9 days old has a very faint bluish tint to it the indicator. you have to hold it up to some strong light to notice it, but it's definitely not stark white like the hands or the indices. hope it's not a bad sign of things to come but it sounds like yours might need a trip back to frankfurt in the future.
    The faint tint is quite alright, but one needs to watch out for a deeper blue, and for a quick change of color.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Hi Kool Cat,

can you take a picture?
    Ive got my142 back from service last week and the cs is slightly blue too.
    But this is the normal delivery status. You can look it up in the catalog.

regards oyster
    Last edited by oyster; July 28th, 2006 at 15:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    The faint tint is quite alright, but one needs to watch out for a deeper blue, and for a quick change of color.
    ahhh, OK...thanks to you and Oyster for clearing that up!

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I am not sure if it is normal under high humidity for the capsules to turn blue so quickly or as Tim had suggested.

I am afraid I don't have an image hosting service plus the fact it is going to be difficult to judge the "blueness" from a digital image.

However, I do agree that it was not white when it first arrive, just like everyone else. It was a light tinge of blue and I guess it is normal.

It could be the fact that I am using a 60 lume SureFire flashlight to observe and hence able to see better the changes to the copper sulphate capsule. But then again, even under normal daylight condition, it does appear "bluer" than before or is my eye playing tricks on me

I really hate to send it back to Frankfurt so quickly, for the fear that I may get mine back with other problems like the GMT hands being misaligned etc.

Maybe I will observe it for another month or so. If it rapidly turns blue, then I am sure that something is not quite right and I will send for servicing. But the thought of it possibly getting lost while in transit does strikes my mind, sigh ! O|

Keep an eye on it and dont send it in!
    If it has turnes blue at a stroke, then I would worry.

oyster

The copper sulphate capsules is indeed "bluer" than it was originally. But it is not that blue yet.

Luckily, it has not in an instant turned dark blue. But I will be monitoring this in the months ahead.

I am likely to send it in for its annual servicing and waterproofness test when the time comes. I see no point in sending an excellent working U2 for servicing, just to change the capsules if the watch is keeping good time.

Once again, thanks to everyone who has responded.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information