Dating a Sinn/Calling the Frankfurt Office
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WOXOF

Thread: Dating a Sinn/Calling the Frankfurt Office

Dating a Sinn/Calling the Frankfurt Office

Has anyone had luck dating a Sinn according to the serial number? I've tried contacting both watchbuys and RGM and both referred me to Sinn headquarters. Watchbuys as least looked in their system and didn't show it to be sold through them.

The reason I ask is I purchased a used 856 UTC and it seems to have a low serial number (plus the fact that watchbuys didn't sell it) makes me think that it may be due for a service, which is my primary concern. I'd really just like to know how old is it so that I can get a gauge as to when to send it in despite it keeping good time and no other anomalies.

I don't mind calling Sinn directly, however my Deutsche is practically not existent. Another question would be if anyone at Sinn can communicate me with!

Thanks!

A few thoughts:

-- In my experience, most Germans speak English fairly well. I have had email communications with Sinn HQ with no issues.

-- Not sure about Sinn, but for many watches serial numbers are considered very unreliable when it comes to dating a watch because they are not necessarily assembled in numerical order. The concept is that there is a large stock of cases with serial #s on them and #500 might be used well be before #085.

-- For whatever it is worth, I bought an 856 UTC in 2006 and the serial # was 3xxx.

Re: Dating a Sinn/Calling the Frankfurt Office

I'd email Sinn as it will be cheaper and give both of you a little 'breathing' space for any language difficulties that may arise though as Radharc says most Germans speak English very well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've been to Germany a few times, and I can attest to most of them speaking English fluently even if they don't think so themselves!

I suppose email would be a better route in which to go. Radharc, that would definitely change my thinking on a lower serial number being produced earlier then. My research on what serial numbers I could find and verify a purchase date associated with that came to no conclusion as it was scattered information at best. FWIW, mines a 0XXX.

Thanks for the help.

I emailed Sinn HQ asking several questions about a 656 I recently picked up. The customer service representative was very kind. She was not able to tell me when the watch was produced but was able to tell my when it was sold (May 2002) and that it may have been produced 6 months prior. Good luck!

Update:

Received an email reply within 1 business day giving me all the information I asked for.

While it's not the news I wanted to hear (my used Sinn I purchased is 14 years old), it was a good experience dealing with them. Watchbuys was a little hesitant to even look up by serial number if it was sold through them. I dont fault watchbuys for that, but Sinn was a little more straightforward.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
    Radharc likes this.

Thread Information