Decision time - U1 or U2?

Thread: Decision time - U1 or U2?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Decision time - U1 or U2?

Hi all,

I am having some difficulty in deciding between these 2 models and was wondering if anyone had any advice. For me, the U1 is in the budget and the U2 is on the far edge of it. For those who have been in a similar position of deciding on these 2 great watches, what was it that led to your decision? For those who have owned or currently own both, what are your thoughts?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!
    :thanks

Re: Decision time - U1 or U2?

Why not split the difference and have the accuracy of quartz!

-Steve
    -----------------------------------------------
    Watches:
    Rolex Sub-C 116610
    Tag Heuer AquaRacer Chrono CAF1110
    Autos:
    Jaguar XF 2010
    ------------------------------------------------

'Cuz I don't want to wear a battery, I want an automatic that has a heartbeat!!!

I had both and just traded my U1. I like the GMT complication and the chunky funky hands of the U1 just never grew on me.

Go for the U2. Down with quartz!
    Doxa Sub 750T MilShark * Glycine Airman 18 * Sinn U2S EZM5
    Omega Speedmaster Professional * Omega X-33 Gen II * Omega Flightmaster cal. 910 Tropical
    Fortis Cosmonaut Chronograph 602.22.142 * Fortis B-42 Ti Cosmonaut Chronograph 659.27.141

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Go for the U2. More elegant hands, added 2:nd time zone. Plus better WR, in case!
    U2 is a developed, more refined U1!
    (Now my knee caps are in some serious danger!!)

My 2 cents: get the U2.

While simpler in its design, the U1 looks too boxy for me. Whereas the U2, looks much more elegant with that "sword" hands. Furthermore, 2nd timezone complication is a real nice and useful addition if you are a frequent traveler or you have connections to friends/family/colleagues living on another timezone.

The big question is: can you justify the extra money to get the U2? If yes, then this is definitely the watch for you.

PS: I totally agree to skip the Quartz ;)

I asked myself this same question and went with the U1. Now I happen to dig the hands and clean dial of the U1 which won out over the GMT and increased WR of the U2. I would say if you like the boxy hands you got to get the U1...if you are a little iffy on them I would go with the U2.

Just my .02

Thanks for all the advice! I think I am a little iffy on the hands of the U1 but I don't really mind them. The decision could be made - I asked my wife which one she liked better and she preferred the U2. Of course, I don't think she has any idea what either one of them cost! Oh well, nothing that time and other jewelry purchases can't fix.

So now it's just a matter of pulling the trigger. I was also considering the following watches - Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Chrono and the Kobold SEAL (though that it out of the price range). The Kobold looks nice but VERY bulky. I think my wrists are in the 7" range.

To me, the Sinn just has that look. For some odd reason they make me think of that this is the watch that the bad guys in the Bond flicks might wear. Odd, I know. Since I have a Omega Seamaster, might work out well!

Moderator Emeritus

Which U to pick, a U1 or a U2.

I always suggest that anyone who is contemplating purchasing a very expensive automatic watch do so within the confines of their personal budget based on their personal financial climate. You must always be able to live with what you have spent and still have that warm and fuzzy feeling when looking down at your new horological masterpiece. Please, don’t put yourself in a financial bind over a watch and have your worsened financial situation dampen your ownership experience.

Assuming that both the U1 and U2 are both within your price range, I would say that the second most important thing is: Which one moves you the most? Which one is the one that you want to gaze down at with a nice grin that others wouldn’t understand. That is the one thing about this hobby/obsession that is most confusing and hard to explain, what you need will most likely be trumped by what you want, in other words, you can expect to throw reason out the window and go with the coolness/neato factor of the watch.

Should you feel that both of those fabulous U’s would look pretty snazzy on your wrist and both have their likes and dislikes to the point of blurring the decision process, which just may be the case here, you might be entering the territory of reasoned, rational thought.

Ok, both are within your price range and both are equally pulling you and you are looking for something to cut through the foggy haze and you have now entered the land of rational thinking. Here goes.

The big difference in the U’s is the presence of the anti-fogging tech and the big thick domed crystal and subsequent increased height of the U2. Now, that fancy anti-fogging argon gas/copper sulphate capsule system is absolutely perfect for someone like me, someone who will be exposing it to very severe climactic and environmental conditions for prolonged periods and will be exposing it to drastic and rapid changes in climactic conditions and …… will be wanting to hold onto the watch for a long, long time and bond with it. This tech works and works well as can be explained in detail in the sticky U series ownership experience thread and will extend the life of the movement and extend the servicing intervals.

If you are not going to be using this ridiculously overbuilt watch in the conditions that Mr. Lothar Schmidt had envisioned when he commissioned the production of this mini submarine, then the U1 will be more than adequate. Yes, more than adequate. I say this as I have old Seiko’s from the late 60’s and early seventies that, after regular maintenance and gasket replacement and a good spa treatment every 4 years or so, run perfectly, and they are only 150m divers with no special tech. Your U1 is way overbuilt and will do you fine.

If you are a chronic watch flipper and are always looking for that latest greatest grail that you just can’t live without, then don’t waste your money on the anti-fog tech, it’s just going to go to someone else.

Not sure anymore as I haven’t kept up with the latest but it used to be that the argon gas and copper sulphate capsules had to be changed in Germany at Sinn headquarters in Frankfurt. I read something somewhere where RGM, the N.A. Distributor will be getting the argon filling machine and all servicing will be able to be done in North America. Others can chime in here with the latest info.

Careful with the size and weight thing too. The U2 is thicker with a thickness of 15.45mm and may be a bit too large if you have smaller wrists.

Both watches are absolutely fine and both are over engineered and way over built and will put smiles on your face. In the end, it comes down to you. Read the U series ownership experience sticky thread and some of the back threads here, there are lots of them, and make a decision and get on with your new ownership experience. There is only so much anyone can do to help you, in the end, it’s up to you.

Read that thread and good luck with your decision.

Regards,
    Tim
    Last edited by Timothy Patrick; July 29th, 2008 at 07:37.

Hi Tim, I agree with most points on your post (especially on the budget issue) but have to disagree that U2 is considerably thicker than U1 thus affecting aesthetic and wearing comfort of the watch. The diameter for both watches is the same and looks very very similar on the wrist. Domed crystal on the U2 makes it look more "magnified". IMHO size is not really an issue at all (between this 2 candidates). I too have a small wrist well under 7" and U2 is one of the most comfortable watches that I have ever worn (I tried many IWCs and they are among the best in terms of wearing comfort).

Banned

The thickness of UX is 13.5 mm
    - U1 is 14.35 mm
    - U2 is 15.45 mm
    - U1000 is 18 mm

I have the U2. Wear it as a daily watch. Love it.
    I agree with Tim, 15.45mm is quite substatial. If you wear it as a daily beater, under cuffs etc., the difference of 1.1mm is very noticable.
    What is so good with the U series is that all edges are rounded, it "feels soft ".

The U1000 was going to be my next Sinn, I almost preordered one. The first side pic "cured" me. Way to high, "tower".

On the other side, if you buy the "wrong" one, you can easily flip it, lots of buyers out there!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information