Diapal, UTC, etc.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mconlonx
  • 1 Post By nodnar
  • 1 Post By watchhunter72

Thread: Diapal, UTC, etc.

Diapal, UTC, etc.

This has been bugging me for a bit. I have an irrational attraction to GMT complications, as much as an irrational dislike for chronographs. And prefer sub-40mm size.

Had a 856 UTC and I convinced myself it was marginally too large for my wrist, so I sold it to finance purchase of a 556A. Which I absolutely love for daily wear.

Name:  20190515_071937_1557919212735.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  1.59 MB

And after kicking around WUS and Sinn/Watchbuys websites, I found out about the Frankfurt Financial district models, with 12hr bezels, fell in love, and recently picked up a 6068NK.

Name:  20190516_094426_1558014385387.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  1.76 MB

But I also found out about the Diapal tech, specifically the 756 model with "UTC" hand. In quotes because far as I can tell, it it slaved to the hour hand as a 12hr dual-time zone indicator, rather than a true 24hr function like with the 856 UTC running the ETA 2893-2 movement.

Name:  f3a0ee6ba4a46a169367e715c8508a16.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  103.7 KB
    (photo stolen from michael-m, Show your Sinn thread)

So the questions in my head are:
    Why does the 12hr "UTC" hand seem to be proprietary to Diapal tech models? Is there something about Diapal conducive to the second hour hand that regular movements can't support? Does it have more to do with the chrono movement functions? How is it adjusted -- at the 2/date position on the main crown?

Would love to see it in a 556-size case, but would also settle for the additional hour hand in an 856, or even 856 UTC for 3 time-zone function.
    michael_m likes this.
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

Re: Diapal, UTC, etc.

Don’t own any diapal models. So just from eye shopping...
    Yes the diapal seems to be limited to chronograph movements. I don’t know if chronographs are particularly suited to diapal tech (guessing not) or if the diapal cost is warranted due to extending the more expensive chronograph service interval (guessing yes).

Yes the most of Sinn’s “utc” chronographs are really a “dual time” 12 hour function. The extra 12 hour hand moves with the main hour hand and is popped behind or ahead with the crown in the second position. As a 12 hour hand it can be hid under the main hour hand and will stay hid.

Not a “true” utc in two ways, the 12 hour thing, and the extra 12 hour hand is set without stopping the watch (as opposed to a Rolex for example for which the main hour hand can be set without stopping the watch. Arguably better for travel)

An exception is the 900 which has a 24 hour hand, still not a Rolex style gmt though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    watchhunter72 likes this.

Indeed the 12-hour second time zone seems to be only on chronographs, but I think it's mostly because it commands a hefty surcharge (in most cases, it's 500 EUR more!) so that would make it hardly palatable on "normal" 3-hand watches.
    On the other hand (pun not intended), it's not something exclusive of DIAPAL watches: I used to have a 103 Ti Ar UTC, which while it had most of Sinn proprietary technologies (Ar filling, CuSO4 capsule, captive bezel etc.) was not a DIAPAL model. Same for the 144 Ti at the time. Alas most of these watches have now been retired but others in the same line-up share this feature.
    Cheers,
    Fabrizio
    mconlonx likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The second hour hand is adjusted by the Date position on the crown. You rotate one direction moves the date up, the other direction increments the GMT hand by an hour each click.

On the 6068NK, what does the German wording on the dial translate to? I’ve never noticed that before

Quote Originally Posted by Kisara View Post
    On the 6068NK, what does the German wording on the dial translate to? I’ve never noticed that before
    https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/6068_NK.htm

Thread Information