The difference a simple strap change makes ...
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By JDS (Ohio)
  • 1 Post By gaopa

Thread: The difference a simple strap change makes ...

The difference a simple strap change makes ...

I chose the 103 ST largely because of the retro look and feel, with it's tall acrylic crystal; it took me back to a time when I lusted for watches that looked like that, but had no money to buy with. It made me feel 13 years old again (but without all the angst).

Still, something was out of whack. The strap just didn't go with the rest of the package somehow, but I couldn't seem to find the right one to take its place. Then it dawned on me - I already had the answer sitting in a drawer. What better to complete that retro look than a strap from "back in the day"? The answer was a NOS Sub Tropic strap. I have some I bought for vintage Zodiac Sea Wolves, 18mm versions, but also a couple of 20mm-s.

As it came, on the Sinn leather chrono strap:

On the Sub Tropic:

I think the Sub Tropic does the trick for me; not only does it complete the late 60s look, but it's a tad longer and more flexible too, which makes it more comfortable.

Of course the downside is that sooner or later straps wear and need to be replaced, and they don't make these anymore. It's a shame that no one has picked up the torch and made modern versions of these and the basket weave Tropics.

Not a big deal, I admit, but I'm digging it and wanted to share. An under $50 strap that changes the whole look; talk about a cheap makeover.
    JOHN

Re: The difference a simple strap change makes ...

yea, the tropic is way under-rated, one of my fav choices. the old ones have the issue of having relatively small molded holes for the lug bar, so I have to use a small diameter bar: these don't fit well with modern lug hole sizes, in my experience.
    Wish someone made modern versions, with larger holes.

John, the Sub Tropic strap looks great on your Sinn. As a suggestion for minimizing wear/tear on the strap, how about a nice after-market deployant clasp. it will not only look good and be comfortable, but save wear on the strap. I'm a real fan of deployant clasps. Cheers, Bill P.
    chabanais likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Bill, that sounds like a good suggestion. The current rubber and silicone straps probably wouldn't fit well with a deployant, but these thinner Tropics just might. Thanks!
    JOHN

John, I just got in a watch today that has a beautiful leather strap and a nice matching brushed buckle. After wearing the watch for about an hour I switched out the buckle for a deployant clasp in my strap drawer. What a difference!

Here is the deployant I am using on that strap. Cheers, Bill P.

Nice choice on the strap, the complexity of the dial matches the featuring on the band.
    I'm going the other way and looking into a metal 'engineer' or mesh for my 155.
    (can't beat a good Bond G10 nato however!)
    Omega Seamaster 300 Pro 2254.50
    KonTiki 4 Hands chrono
    Seiko "Planet Shogun"
    Seiko SKX031 Jubilee
    Citizen BL5250 titan eco
    Sandoz Sub / Diver Two Tone

Thread Information