WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Does anybody use their rotating diver bezel?

2K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  parkaboy 
#1 ·
I find mine almost indispensable now. I use it for timing my parking meters, the pizza delivery guy, boiled eggs, how long the young waitress at the Tim Horton's coffee shop can continue talking without taking a breath, the lit times on my coleman lantern (so I know when my cannister is running empty), intermissions between periods on hockey games. Stuff like that.

How 'bout you guys? You use these things at all?

#2 ·
though not a Sinn owner yetB-).thinking of a 103 ST SA.what do you think of it?

i have come to rely heavily on dive timer bezels. i am in the kitchen a lot of the time and have to keep eyes and hands on everything.

whether washing,cooking or anything inbetween i can rely on a glance at the bezel and know i need to be somewhere in 'x' minutes to do whatever.a truly indispensable piece of equipment.

regards

ray

#6 ·
similarly...i used the bezel to countdown intervals. one of the quickest ways around manhattan is the public train system. i have an unlimited monthly pass which allows the card to be used every 17 minutes. lots of times, i'll go out during my lunch hr and pop on the train to run an errand so i use the bezel to keep track of the intervals.

Timothy Patrick said:
I find mine almost indispensable now. I use it for timing my parking meters, the pizza delivery guy, boiled eggs, how long the young waitress at the Tim Horton's coffee shop can continue talking without taking a breath, the lit times on my coleman lantern (so I know when my cannister is running empty), intermissions between periods on hockey games. Stuff like that.

How 'bout you guys? You use these things at all?

#13 ·
I use timing bezels quite often, from parking intervals to cooking to keeping track of "call back in ten minutes please" etc.

I find it a much more practical way to measure elapsed time than a chronograph as I rarely need to time seconds, and a bezel can be (re-)set a few minutes after the start of an event, as I usually forget to start the chronograph, and remember it only a few minutes later. The only thing is I prefer a 1-12 bezel (not on a Sinn, alas) which gives me a second-timezone capability in addition to elapsed time.

I have lately taken to the purist view that anything beyond time, date, day and a bezel should be handled electronically, if not digitally. :oops:

#14 ·
Duh, YES! Yet I think it is obvious to use it. A completely functional tool. Yet others buy watches for 'fashion' purposes, maybe, and don't care you use it. For me, if I am buying or looking for a watch, I only look for rotating bezeled ones. Now, non bezeled watches look 'naked', like they are missing someting.
There may be some exceptions, like the Damasko D36/7 or Sinn -56/-57 series. I could consider these options yet the option of a rotating bezel seems to outway all. |>

#15 ·
Watch out for RSI, you heavy bezel users!!
This can not only be caused by to much keyboard use, but also by to much rotating:-D .
Guess I'm the only one not using it;-) .
But like 42mm says, some watches look a bit naked without a bezel.

Cheers,

Daddel.

#18 · (Edited)
I use both the diver bezels on most of my watches and the "Countdown Bezel" on my 103 for the same type of things listed previously (cooking, parking, etc.). If I have a watch on without a bezel, it usually has a chrono, which I also like.

I figure if I buy a watch with fun complications, why not use them as much as possible. It helps to justify this sickness ... I mean hobby.

RE: the 103 - I love mine. It looks and runs great. I get a lot of compliments on it (even from non-watch people). This may also be because of the band - it gives the watch a different look.

I prefer and bought the SS version (ST SA) becuse I wanted the weight and high-polish, but I also like the look of the titanium version (very tool-like).

To me, the 103 is just a classic look and the quality is top-notch.

- Mike

#19 ·
Hi -

Used it tonight to time how long I was in each Sauna when visiting the thermal baths that I do every week here in Germany.

That way, I know when to get out of the heat and into the cold...

JohnF

#22 · (Edited)
Hi -

Actually, no, I'm not: I'm using a junk watch that I want to die so that I can buy a new one. I swap them out every week.

So far it's survived three years of weekly sauna visits, which includes temperatures as high as 105° Celsius and as low as 12° Celsius.

Damn things won't die on me. :)

Probably because it's the only time it gets worn...

PS: Actually, when it dies I can replace with an UX. That's what I'll tell my wife...yes dear, I did have to get an UX because you know that's what killed the other watch, being in the Sauna. If I have *any* luck she won't ask me why I need to wear a watch in the sauna when I'm not actually wearing anything else... :-S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.