Does pulling the crown out negate the inert gas filling concept?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Does pulling the crown out negate the inert gas filling concept?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Does pulling the crown out negate the inert gas filling concept?

A thought just occurred to me. Obviously, pulling out the crown of a watch for setting or winding opens the interior to the environment. Don't go diving with the crown unscrewed, that sort of thing.

Wouldn't that also open the case interior up for the "Ar" (nitrogen, actually) to leak out, and regular old, humid air enter the watch? Osmotic pressure alone would push the soggy DC air around here into the watch if that were the case (no pun intended)..
    Last edited by Camguy; June 10th, 2019 at 01:18.
    Dennis Parris and egwatchfan like this.

Re: Does pulling the crown out negate the inert gas filling concept?

You'd think so, but the crown and tube assembly is air-locked away from the sealed movement as to prevent this. A series of lubricated gaskets accomplishes this.

I had wondered about that too.
    JacobC, do you know if the non-Ar models have any kind of seals for keeping atmospheric moisture out of the watch when the crown is out?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Camguy View Post
    A thought just occurred to me. Obviously, pulling out the crown of a watch for setting or winding opens the interior to the environment. Don't go diving with the crown unscrewed, that sort of thing.

Wouldn't that also open the case interior up for the "Ar" (nitrogen, actually) to leak out, and regular old, humid air enter the watch? Osmotic pressure alone would push the soggy DC air around here into the watch if that were the case (no pun intended)..
    Well that's a good question!!!!

Does pulling the crown out negate the inert gas filling concept?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Parris View Post
    I had wondered about that too.
    JacobC, do you know if the non-Ar models have any kind of seals for keeping atmospheric moisture out of the watch when the crown is out?
    All watches have crown gaskets to mitigate this, some even have them down the stem too. Not sure how Sinn engineers non AR models.
    Dennis Parris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobC View Post
    All watches have crown gaskets to mitigate this, some even have them down the stem too. Not sure how Sinn engineers non AR models.

Thanks! Good to know. I set the time as infrequently as possible out of concern for moisture. My Sinn is pretty darn accurate; I can usually wait until the date is off. But still, nice to know I needn't worry quite so much.

Operating the crown will in no way allow moisture into the watch. Unless of course, the seals have failed (unlikely) or one is pulling out and pushing in, under water... have as much fun with that last sentence as you wish!
    Dennis Parris likes this.
    Too many flipped...

Thanks for all your replies. I know there are seals, and the crown and tube assembly makes the transfer of moisture highly unlikely, so it's more of a theoretical question, I guess.
    I only ask because I have a less-than-2-year-old EZM 13 that's never seen any water besides a very occasional shower, and the copper sulfate capsule has taken on a very light blue color. I have to assume it's due to environmental moisture gradually entering the case after opening and closing the crown (I don't do it often, but it happens).

Cant remember, did you buy new? Have you asked the AD?

To me the Ar capsule is an early warning system. If mine were turning blue prematurely Id consider it a warning.

Depending on warranty, and how dark blue it gets, Id consider a service. Pale blue, out of warranty, Id hold my breath.

Best luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd write to Sinn, usually I get a response in two days. See how they feel about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information