Does Sinn have major QC issues?
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Does Sinn have major QC issues?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Does Sinn have major QC issues?

I was going to go ahead and purchase a new U1 but began reading on all the QC issues.

Do you guys think it is on par with other companies charging equal amount for their products?

Thanks.
    Salt_Water likes this.
    "It is the hour of pearlóthe interval between day and night when time stops and examines itself."
    -j. steinbeck

Re: Does Sinn have major QC issues?

Quote Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
    I was going to go ahead and purchase a new U1 but began reading on all the QC issues.

Do you guys think it is on par with other companies charging equal amount for their products?

Thanks.
    Anecdotally I feel like they have the fewest or near the bottom in this price range. You'll always find a wart if you go looking for one. Even in the big leagues.

The few duds that slip through are going to get notice in the forums, and that's warranted: folks are understandably irked to find cosmetic flaws after spending thousands. I would be too.
    But chances are you're going to get the most functional watch you could ask for with no major cosmetic issues. Everything lines up on my 103, and it's deadly accurate (7 seconds PER MONTH, not kidding).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have had several Sinn watches and right now a 903 and I can tell you that they were all fantastic. But several years ago my 103s rotor fell off because the retention screw came off. But hey, they're man made right? Go for the U1 man!
    Dennis Parris likes this.
    Don't just take a picture....Create one instead

Iím relatively new to Sinn. I bought my first one a year ago today, Christmas Eve. Since then I bought 4 more Only one had an issue, the crown unscrewed. It was fixed in less than 2 weeks from when I mailed it off.
    That being said, I still highly recommend Sinn.

If you buy used and itís still under warranty, get the names of all the previous owners so warranty work can be approved by Sinn.

Buy the U1, itís an epic/iconic Sinn

Shannon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dennis Parris likes this.
    My Seiko's: SBDB001 SD600M, SBDX001 Marine Master, SRP777, SRPA21 PADI,

Casio: ProTrek 2500-A1

My Sinnís: EZM9, EZM14ĖT1, EZM14-T1B, U1 Professional, 836

Want

Sinn: U1 S Blue, U2C, UX S, 857 S, 900 S

Seiko: SNR031J1, SNR035J1

Thanks for all the input.

I have had a 556A, 556 I x 2, and a EZM. All without issue but the recent reads concerned me.

I will go U1 for sure.

Thanks again.
    "It is the hour of pearlóthe interval between day and night when time stops and examines itself."
    -j. steinbeck

As others have mentioned, of the reletively few people that post, most are going to post if there is an issue, not the other way around. All of my Sinn’s have been flawless over the years. Then again, it don’t take a 10x loop to them either. If it’s not obvious, or a functional problem, it’s all good.
    johnwooten72 likes this.
    Too many flipped...

I've bought one Sinn and it had quality issues. I didn't come here because of the issue, but because I wanted to write about my watch in general. In fact I didn't realize that it had an actual issue until a week or so after I first wrote about it. See https://forums.watchuseek.com/f24/si...s-4603231.html for the full story.
    My issue (underfill of the UX) would have been extremely easy to spot in QC.

Of course that's still only anecdotal and a sample size of 1. Shannon says above that he has bought five Sinns and one of them had an issue. That's a rate of 20% if you want to extrapolate from that.

So I don't think their QC is as good as it could (and frankly should) be. Would I not buy a U1 because of these issues? No, I would still go for it. That's why they come with a warranty.
    usc1 likes this.

I picked up an 857 UTC VFR a couple of days ago. So far, everything is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
    Then again, it donít take a 10x loop to them either. If itís not obvious, or a functional problem, itís all good.
    This is a very realistic view, and somewhat unusual to find on a watch forum!

I like the brand very much, have owned one, my wife still owns one, and I've serviced many. Sinn is not a high end brand by any means, and people should not be expecting perfection, so if you go in expecting everything to be "just so" then there's a chance you are going to be disappointed.

For the most part Sinn simply buys movements and cases them, with a few exceptions. I have photos of what I call "factory defects" that I've gathered from watches I've serviced, and trust me there are all kinds of problems with all kinds of brands. There is only one Sinn entry in that file, and I'm not sure you could call it a defect really, but it does illustrate that there's not a lot of "fine watchmaking" going on at Sinn:

This is a 756 chronograph I serviced a number of years ago that uses an ETA 7750, and that model has had the constant seconds at 9 o'clock removed. As you can see here, the process for removing the post of the second wheel part 224 (that the constant seconds hand would mount to) on the movement wasn't terribly sophisticated - looked like it was just clipped off with cutters and the post left jagged. I'll be honest this surprised me a bit, because if I was doing this job I would have machined off the excess post, cleaned up the end, provided a chamfer, etc. but here no one took the time to do that.

This reflects expediency above all else, as this modification didn't require them to completely disassemble the movement as it would have with the way I would want to do things. But if Sinn did it the way I would, no doubt the watch would be more money. This doesn't really cause a problem per se, but it's more of a reflection of the level of watchmaking we are dealing with.

I don't think they have "major" QC problems, but the things you do see could be fixed without a lot of effort if they wanted to.

Cheers, Al

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information