Drilling a new spring bar hole in a U series rubber strap?

Thread: Drilling a new spring bar hole in a U series rubber strap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Drilling a new spring bar hole in a U series rubber strap?

I curse my small wrists. But I just got a new U1 and really really want to wear the rubber strap with the standard deployant (the small deployant looks crappy to me). All I need is one more spring bar hole. I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to drill a new springbar hole? I am more familiar with plastics then elastomers. But IIRC, the rubber may split if a hole is cut vs. being molded with a hole in it. Has anyone ever tried this? Has anyone accidently cut (i.e. sliced) their strap? If so, did the cut continue to propagate? I have access to all the tools necessary to try this. I just would hate to ruin a perfectly good strap only to have it fall apart on me.

Re: Drilling a new spring bar hole in a U series rubber strap?

Hi,

first, I'm an old man.... its hard to read your small fond. Please use "our" normal type here, please.

To your question: For my opinion, the holes in the rubber straps (german name: Kautschuk, same material as car tires) are not drilled at factory, I am sure, that the hole build-in the form for rubber floating (sorry, I have no other english words for this). Therefore are metal sticks inside, they make the hole, cause the rubber float around.

If you want to have additional holes at the finished rubber strap, it is very complicated, I think. The rubber material is not stable and I am sure, your drill will be not drill from up to down without demage of the enviroment material, means you destroy the strap. A small solution could be, you frost the rubber strap for better stability (if colder, the rubber will be more stable. But destroyable, too).

I talk to the customer service at Sinn for this original rubber strap. The specialst says, he know no user with wirst size who not fits this strap. A small girl at Sinn wears the U1 with this original strap, and it fits at her very small wrist.

Conclusion: Drilling a hole is a risk to destroy the rubber strap. Sell this strap and buy the alternate smaller clasp with butterfly clasp.

BTW: What is your wrist size: Mine is 6,5 inch (= 16,8 cm). And I have 3 holes blank at the strap.

cheers
    U2inSpe

the rubber strap is made from Silikon, no Kautschuk. Even if the catalog tells you something different.
    The advantage from Silikon is, it´s anti allergic. Kautschuk isn´t.

oyster

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by U2inSpe
    BTW: What is your wrist size: Mine is 6,5 inch (= 16,8 cm). And I have 3 holes blank at the strap.
    U2inSpe
    I'm sorry for the small type. I just clicked and pasted from word.

I agree that the spring bar holes are molded in at the time the strap is injected.

Anyway, my wrists are 6.25" snug and 6.5" loose and I really can't see how I would be comfortable with the strap even at the smallest setting. You claim that you still have three holes left?

I haven't attempted to cut the strap yet, so maybe I should try it. But, I really doubt that it's going to work. I'll be close, but just not quite there. The reason I asked the questions is if I don't mess with the strap, I could sell it intact. If I cut it short or ruin it all together, it's not worth anything to anyone.

Redhook: I understand your pain, I was in almost exactly the same situation 4 days ago. I was hesitant to cut the strap, because my wrist is so small, the strap would end up being useless to anyone else (as you already mentioned). Just by looking at the strap, it appeared that even cutting it all the way down would still leave it too big for me. I started by leaving two holes on both sides, which was much too large. I was at the point of no return, so I just cut both sides all the way down, it ended up being just a hair more snug than I would normally like, though not enough to be an issue.

I just measured my wrist, and if I snug the tape measure all the way down, then give it a bit of slack, I show 6.25". I wear my watches fairly tight, I don't like my watches flopping around, especially heavy watches like the Sinn or my TAG Aquagraph 2000.

So, FWIW, unless you like your watch insanely tight, I would think that the strap would fit you if it fits me. In fact, if I were you, I'd start like I did and leave 2 holes open on both sides before cutting the strap all the way down. You might find that the strap feels like it fits well, even though it's left bigger than you would expect.

Anyway, let us know how things turned out, I hope that I haven't given you any bad advice :-D Worst case, if the strap is too large even at it's smallest setting, I'd probably buy it off you to keep as a backup.
    Last edited by Klesk; August 28th, 2006 at 06:39.
    NRA Life Member
    NJKCA Honorary Member
    ==================
    Breitling Chrono Avenger
    Breitling Steelfish
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Casio GMWB5000D-1 Steel Square
    Casio GWG1000-1A3 Mudmaster
    Citizen BN7020
    Seiko SRP639
    Sinn UX
    Victorinox Swiss Army Airboss Mach IV

Quote Originally Posted by Klesk
    Redhook: I understand your pain, I was in almost exactly the same situation 4 days ago. I was hesitant to cut the strap, because my wrist is so small, the strap would end up being useless to anyone else (as you already mentioned). Just by looking at the strap, it appeared that even cutting it all the way down would still leave it too big for me. I started by leaving two holes on both sides, which was much too large. I was at the point of no return, so I just cut both sides all the way down, it ended up being just a hair more snug than I would normally like, though not enough to be an issue.

I just measured my wrist, and if I snug the tape measure all the way down, then give it a bit of slack, I show 6.25". I wear my watches fairly tight, I don't like my watches flopping around, especially heavy watches like the Sinn or my TAG Aquagraph 2000.

So, FWIW, unless you like your watch insanely tight, I would think that the strap would fit you if it fits me. In fact, if I were you, I'd start like I did and leave 2 holes open on both sides before cutting the strap all the way down. You might find that the strap feels like it fits well, even though it's left bigger than you would expect.

Anyway, let us know how things turned out, I hope that I haven't given you any bad advice :-D Worst case, if the strap is too large even at it's smallest setting, I'd probably buy it off you to keep as a backup.
    Klesk,

Thank you very muck for the info. I've read quite a bit about how the rubber won't fit below 6.5" and really seemed to confirm it when I simulate where the buckle is going to fit.

I have a question for you, U2inSpe, and anyone else that can confirm this. Does your strap have mm markings? Mine has markings pointing to each groove inbetween spring bar holes that start with 235mm and decrease by 10mm for each slot. The smallest reads 175mm which again would equate to a 6.5" wrist.

You might try the alternate Sinn buckle. It is much smaller and would allow you to cut more out of it to adjust the strap to your wrist.

HI,

my strap has no mm markers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin S.
    You might try the alternate Sinn buckle. It is much smaller and would allow you to cut more out of it to adjust the strap to your wrist.
    Thanks Gavin. I really didn't like the look of the smaller buckle in the pics I've seen so far. Your's actually doesn't look that bad. Maybe I'll go that route.

No problem. It's actually pretty nice. I have a 7 to 7 1/4" wrist and I find the stock buckle to be scaled too large for my wrist. That thing is huge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information