Etachoc/Novodiac in 556??
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By A+U
  • 1 Post By midnight_rush

Thread: Etachoc/Novodiac in 556??

Etachoc/Novodiac in 556??

Just received a new 556a from Watchbuy yesterday and noticed the shock system is not incabloc but novodiac/etachoc. I know Sinn and Watchbuy both list the watch as using top grade 2824-2 but incabloc is part of the normal top grade package.. what's happening here??

Re: Etachoc/Novodiac in 556??

Name:  638633272.png
Views: 139
Size:  3.64 MB

A+U

I did try to get some explanation from Sinn on this, but was not successful. Maybe you’ll have better luck, try emailing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by A+U View Post
    I did try to get some explanation from Sinn on this, but was not successful. Maybe you’ll have better luck, try emailing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good to know I'm not the only one wondering about this, I did reach out to Sinn (via facebook DM, they never responded to my email) and they are saying 556s / sinn watches in general use "top / premium quality movements" but did not address the shock absorber inconsistency directly. Upon rephrasing my question again the only answer I received was "only top".

That being said, the balance wheel seem to be the glucydur one that is used in top movements, so I wouldnt be surprised if they requested ETA to somehow swap the shock absorber to cut cost while keeping the same timing specs.

A+U

Quote Originally Posted by midnight_rush View Post
    Good to know I'm not the only one wondering about this, I did reach out to Sinn (via facebook DM, they never responded to my email) and they are saying 556s / sinn watches in general use "top / premium quality movements" but did not address the shock absorber inconsistency directly. Upon rephrasing my question again the only answer I received was "only top".

That being said, the balance wheel seem to be the glucydur one that is used in top movements, so I wouldnt be surprised if they requested ETA to somehow swap the shock absorber to cut cost while keeping the same timing specs.
    Seems like i got the same answers as you. They replied me that the movements are top grade, but when asked about why no incabloc, they stopped responding.
    And yes, the balance wheel is glucydur, so at least that matches up.

Curious why they don't have a reasonable explanation to give customers about the incabloc/etachoc issue, but from past interactions with Sinn, this seems about par for the course.
    umarrajs likes this.

After some more digging, it seems that Sinn 556 are not the first case where novodiac/etachoc appear on a top grade movement. Stowa Rana for example (https://www.stowa.de/en/Rana+Dynadots+black.htm) someone pointed it out here from the display back shots: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f36/rana-1689234.html I guess the only logical conclusion is top grade movements CAN come with etachoc
    Radharc likes this.

One way or the other, a top grade movement without the incabloc system is not a true top grade movement and in a $1,000 watch that touts the top grade moment this cost saving measure (whatever its origin) should not present. Anything less than incabloc should be reserved for "economical calibres" according to its manufacturer: Incabloc shock absorbers: double cone, single cone and Novodiac

Thread Information