Ever tried re-blasting a non-tegimented Sinn?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ABrownBlackBear
  • 1 Post By David Woo

Thread: Ever tried re-blasting a non-tegimented Sinn?

Ever tried re-blasting a non-tegimented Sinn?

I have an EZM-3 I like a whole lot, but I do notice, especially on sunny days, that the non-tegimented blasted finish is more reflective than I'd like. I've wondered about the idea of having it re-blasted at some point with a rougher media to give it a more subdued-looking finish like its tegimented and titanium big brothers. Has anyone ever tried that, either doing it yourself or sending it out? Any pics or recommendations?

Since the current finish isn't very resistant to normal desk-diving marks, and I'm not too obsessive over those anyway, I don't think I'd be losing anything in that regard.

It seems like at least some places that do this disassemble the watch to blast the case, so I suppose the inert gas would be shot, which is not an attractive idea, so I wonder if there would be a way around it. Any idea what the turnaround time is for the various places (MCWW, IWW, etc.) that will do this for you?

Thanks for any thoughts. Here's a photo just for fun:

Name:  qjiEQ9i.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  353.6 KB
    Last edited by ABrownBlackBear; March 30th, 2015 at 05:06.

Re: Ever tried re-blasting a non-tegimented Sinn?

IWW does this as a service. It typically requires a complete polish of the case and then bead blast. It's probably doable by yourself if
    - you have access to a bead blasting cabinet
    - you can disassemble your watch completely
    - you take care to mask off all internal components from the blasting
    Good luck!
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

I'm planning to do this by myself too.
    Maybe a good masking tape with couple layers is needed to make sure you don't mess the sapphire and bezel markings.

The gravity feed blaster costs 20 bucks. And it seems you don't need a big compressor too. For small objects such as watch the cabinet could be simple. A big plastic storage box with plastic lid could be modified or you could do the blasting outside if you don't want to collect&recycle the material.

I'm still looking what would be the media grit size for glass beads.
    Does anyone have idea on sizes the shops or SUG are using?

Maybe you could try with aluminum oxide for more rough look.
    But I definitely recommend to do test runs with similar stainless steel.

By the way, has anyone seen bead blasted fine link bracelet?

Check this out:
    http://www.thedivewatchconnection.co...=22919&start=0

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

IWW would be the place to go for quick turnaround and A+ quality

I did this once with an EZM 1 (it has been done directly by Sinn as part of a complete service). I wasn't too pleased by the result. I can't complain about the work they have done; at first sight, the watch looked like new. But all the nice sharp angles and edges that are typical for this case design have been considerably rounder. In the end, I would have preferred to keep the watch with all the scratches and little dents but still with sharp angles and edges...
    Tudor - Sinn - Seiko - Suunto - Casio

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    IWW does this as a service. It typically requires a complete polish of the case and then bead blast. It's probably doable by yourself if
    - you have access to a bead blasting cabinet
    - you can disassemble your watch completely
    - you take care to mask off all internal components from the blasting
    Good luck!
    I had Jack at IWW do this to a Seiko sumo a few years ago and the results were good, watch looks much better bead blasted, not as much bling and is holding up very well.

Thanks all for the info. I'll look into IWW for some point down the road. On the other hand, the new 3F version is increasingly tempting. Decisions, decisions...
    dnslater likes this.

that slightly shiny blast is what Jack calls his satin blast: it is a light blast so as not to cause the permanent changes as beedoo mentioned. This is light enough that painted numerals in a bezel inset will not loose the paint while the bezel is blasted.
    Heavier blasts such as the alox (aluminum oxide) are available but not many shops do it any longer, as the heavily blasted surface is easily scuffed and I think the shops got tired of customer complaints.
    dnslater likes this.

Some use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda, NaHCoз) as mix with alox to get some scratch proofness.
    I'm planning to use fine glass beads (200 and higher) for kind of satin look and to get a slight refresh. I will do rehearsal with seiko 5 first to see suitable pressure etc.
    I don't know if this finish is something what Jack at IWW does also.
    Could someone post a picture if you have a watch with this treatment?

The thread referenced above about home blasting was my project. I learned a few things with my Seiko experiment. I did it the amateur way - keeping the watch fully assembled and simply taping off the crystal. A few thoughts.......

• 220 grit aluminum oxide is very aggressive. It removes a lot of metal, and gives an extremely matte look. Really hid the existing surface scratches on the watch. Also would remove paint from bezel,etc..... supposedly more porous media like this actually shows scratches more easily, as the surface of the metal has a lot of tiny ridges and valleys.
    • Fine Glass beads gave a finish very similar to the Sinn U1 and 857 that I have owned - possibly slightly more fine. Could probably do medium fine or medium. Scratches on the original watch showed through just a bit. Surface of the metal had a nice satin shine. Still reflected light. I actually blasted the bezel and the beads were fine enough to not remove any paint.
    • Aluminum Oxide will destroy your crystal if not careful. I had my crystal taped off, but an edge of the tape came up and that small portion of crystal is now "frosted".
    • My "assumption" was that with a screw-down crown and tightened case back, I was fine blasting the watch while assembled. I probably wouldn't try it on a more expensive case, as I'm sure it could work it's way into the gaskets, etc... eventually given the force.
    • Medium Fine glass beads and a harbor freight blaster would be an easy way to touch up Sinn bracelets. Not much risk of issues on the bracelet. Could simply do it outside with a mask without needing a cabinet.
    • I would buy at least 5 lbs of any media you want to try. Ebay is a great resource.
    • $20 harbor freight gravity feed blaster seemed to work just fine for limited watch blasting.
    Last edited by dnslater; April 9th, 2015 at 14:51.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Thread Information