EZM 3 and 856 UTC
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: EZM 3 and 856 UTC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

EZM 3 and 856 UTC

Hello All,

First off, I have to say the the entire WUS community seems to be about the most respectful online community I've spent much time on. The mods and/or members seem to really want to share information, experience, and opinions but in a respectful way. Kudos to WUS.

I've been a reader/lurker for a while but never owned a watch that cost more than $200. I've decided I don't want to be the guy in my office with the cheapest watch any more. After looking around and considering all the brands that are Rolex expensive and under I've pretty much decided that the Sinn lineup offers the biggest bang for your buck. I have a background in engineering as well and I like the fact that they appear to be trying to add value at their price point by addressing problems that can still be tackled by one using movements developed elsewere (i.e., tegimenting, special oils, Ar system etc).

Apart from the innovation, I like the Spartan appearance of much of the Sinn lineup. I am down to deciding between the EZM 3 and the 856. Oddly enough, I think the 856 UTC looks better than the non UTC version so that's the one I would get even though I have no use for the UTC function. I know there are some threads out there specifically comparing these two watches but I kind of have some specific questions that I hope someone will be willing to address.

EZM 3: Everyone describes this watch as tough/durable/tank like, yet people say the bezel feels insubstantial and has too much slop/play in it (possibly by design). I wonder if a sloppy or insubstantial bezel gives anyone regrets with this watch? Does it cheapen the appearance to the extent it would look "poor" or insubstantial next to a similarly sized Tag, or even Omega or Rolex? In a brightly lit office, is the red date still a problem? Finally, how out of place, if at all, does this watch look with a dress shirt and possibly a jacket?

856: How dark is the tegimented watch and metal bracelet? I have decided I don't want Breitling shiny but in some photos the 856 looks really dark grey - like it would look out of place on someone trying to dress nice in an office. I think the face of the 856 definitely appears "dressier" than that of the EZM 3. Does the watch look "too nice" to wear with casual clothes? (I know these questions inconsistent but these are the things I wonder.) Finally, the size of the numbers on the main dial look too big in some photos. I've read that they are in good taste in person but does anyone have this watch and wish they were smaller?

If anyone read this far, thanks for doing so and any information, no matter how insignificant, is appreciated. Seeing these watches in person is not really an option and I hate to send one back (even though Watchbuys allows it) if I can avoid it.

Re: EZM 3 and 856 UTC

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimeLord View Post
    Apart from the innovation, I like the Spartan appearance of much of the Sinn lineup. I am down to deciding between the EZM 3 and the 856. Oddly enough, I think the 856 UTC looks better than the non UTC version so that's the one I would get even though I have no use for the UTC function. I know there are some threads out there specifically comparing these two watches but I kind of have some specific questions that I hope someone will be willing to address.

EZM 3: Everyone describes this watch as tough/durable/tank like, yet people say the bezel feels insubstantial and has too much slop/play in it (possibly by design). I wonder if a sloppy or insubstantial bezel gives anyone regrets with this watch? Does it cheapen the appearance to the extent it would look "poor" or insubstantial next to a similarly sized Tag, or even Omega or Rolex? In a brightly lit office, is the red date still a problem? Finally, how out of place, if at all, does this watch look with a dress shirt and possibly a jacket?

856: How dark is the tegimented watch and metal bracelet? I have decided I don't want Breitling shiny but in some photos the 856 looks really dark grey - like it would look out of place on someone trying to dress nice in an office. I think the face of the 856 definitely appears "dressier" than that of the EZM 3. Does the watch look "too nice" to wear with casual clothes? (I know these questions inconsistent but these are the things I wonder.) Finally, the size of the numbers on the main dial look too big in some photos. I've read that they are in good taste in person but does anyone have this watch and wish they were smaller?

If anyone read this far, thanks for doing so and any information, no matter how insignificant, is appreciated. Seeing these watches in person is not really an option and I hate to send one back (even though Watchbuys allows it) if I can avoid it.
    I only have the 856UTC and have never seen a live EZM3. My possible choice was the same as yours nearly 2 years ago. I started by downloading pictures of both watches from Sinn's website, printing them to exactly full size, cutting them out and taping them onto an existing watch. This made it fairly easy for me to select the 856, as I found the EZM3 to be way too 'busy'. If you want/need the bezel then buy the EZM3 (or even the 857), if not then I think the 856 is a better bet.

It's very slightly lighter than the EZM3, 2mm slimmer and I think they have the same size case (40mm) but the EZM3's bezel overhangs a bit, making it seem a fair bit bigger and less likely to slip under a shirt cuff. The tegimented steel of the 856 is certainly darker than plain old S/S but it's really only enough to make the watch fairly inconspicuous. Mine has no obvious scratches after 2 years (I am very gentle with my watches). You should, however, be aware that the bracelets are not often a perfect colour match to the cases. The dial is very clear, with excellent double A/R, and I think much more readable than the EZM3, and I don't find the numbers excessively big.

The EZM3's left-hand crown may or may not matter to you, also the 500M vs 200M WR of the 856. The UTC function looks nice but is, IMO, almost useless. A 'proper' UTC/GMT watch allows the UTC hand to be set with the minutes & seconds, and the local hour hand to be set independently. Sinn don't do this and you'd need to look at Rolex, Omega, or some other makes. If I lost my 856 I'd certainly buy another but probably the non-UTC.

My recommendation is to buy what YOU like and forget about what others' opinions may be. Most normal people have no interest in other people's watches. In an office where an 856 was 'out of place', I think there would be much bigger issues to be addressed.

I have the 856 UTC (for 3 years now) so I won't be able to talk about the EZM3, so even though the grey is darker than non-tegimented watches, it is really far from black, so for me there is no problem wearing this watch when "dressed" or not, it's just that it won't be the "look at me" watch like the Breitlings.
    What I sometime do is put a leather band instead of the bracelet, and it looks really nice as a dressy watch, and if I want more casual I put back the bracelet, and I do have to add that the bracelet adds a lot of character to the watch, the bracelet is a must have for me... And yeah as said above, we can all say whatever we want, but you're gonna wear it, so buy the one You like, but yeah for me none is a bad choice, keep in mind that you can change a lot the watch "character" just by changing the band...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ziplepingouin View Post
    I have the 856 UTC (for 3 years now) so I won't be able to talk about the EZM3, so even though the grey is darker than non-tegimented watches, it is really far from black, so for me there is no problem wearing this watch when "dressed" or not, it's just that it won't be the "look at me" watch like the Breitlings.
    What I sometime do is put a leather band instead of the bracelet, and it looks really nice as a dressy watch, and if I want more casual I put back the bracelet, and I do have to add that the bracelet adds a lot of character to the watch, the bracelet is a must have for me... And yeah as said above, we can all say whatever we want, but you're gonna wear it, so buy the one You like, but yeah for me none is a bad choice, keep in mind that you can change a lot the watch "character" just by changing the band...
    Agreed. I tried a black nylon and a black leather strap and they both looked really good. Grey would be nice as well. Unfortunately I just don't like to wear straps, so I'm happy with the bracelet. Drilled lugs (856, but not on the EZM3) make it fairly easy to experiment.

Thanks for the helpful information from the UK and Belgium. It's a bit ironic as I actually have plans to cross the pond (from America) this summer and visit those two countries in particular. I actually do like both of these watches but will only buy one this year (and possibly for a good while longer than that). It would be helpful to see them before hand but I can't (easily) so I appreciate the observations on their appearance. I like the idea of having a nice watch that doesn't scream "look at me!". I know people don't generally notice watches but I always wonder what clients think if they do notice.
    Last edited by DrTimeLord; January 2nd, 2014 at 03:55.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimeLord View Post
    Thanks for the helpful information from the UK and Belgium. It's a bit ironic as I actually have plans to cross the pond (from America) this summer and visit those two countries in particular. I actually do like both of these watches but will only buy one this year (and possibly for a good while longer than that). It would be helpful to see them before hand but I can't (easily) so I appreciate the observations on their appearance. I like the idea of having a nice watch that doesn't scream "look at me!". I know people don't generally notice watches but I always wonder what clients think if they do notice.
    It seems that you should have a great opportunity to visit a Sinn AD (we have, I think, 3 in the UK) and walk out with your chosen watch. Just do a bit of research for your destinations on Sinn's website, make a couple of calls and it could all work out perfectly. Best of luck!

"....... I like the idea of having a nice watch that doesn't scream "look at me!". I know people don't generally notice watches but I always wonder what clients think if they do notice. "

Well between the two .... EZM3 is more sober and yells slightly less often than its brother 856 UTC. The bezel on EZM3 is just fine - I have it and it is as solid as any other bezel. If you can get to the mothership in Frankfurt - it may be visit you will remember a long time - and all bets are off - you may be the guy with two $2,000 watches in your office... in a heartbeat.

Keep us posted of your decision and purchase. And remember - it did not happen if you can't show pictures -
    Last edited by ahkeelt; January 2nd, 2014 at 09:37.

Quote Originally Posted by chris01 View Post
    It seems that you should have a great opportunity to visit a Sinn AD (we have, I think, 3 in the UK) and walk out with your chosen watch. Just do a bit of research for your destinations on Sinn's website, make a couple of calls and it could all work out perfectly. Best of luck!
    Hmmm... I didn't realize I could see these in person in the UK. If I can be patient enough (probably coming over in May) I may do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by ahkeelt View Post
    "....... I like the idea of having a nice watch that doesn't scream "look at me!". I know people don't generally notice watches but I always wonder what clients think if they do notice. "

Well between the two .... EZM3 is more sober and yells slightly less often than its brother 856 UTC. The bezel on EZM3 is just fine - I have it and it is as solid as any other bezel. If you can get to the mothership in Frankfurt - it may be visit you will remember a long time - and all bets are off - you may be the guy with two $2,000 watches in your office... in a heartbeat.

Keep us posted of your decision and purchase. And remember - it did not happen if you can't show pictures -
    Funny stuff Seriously though, thanks for the info on the bezel.

I've actually thought about trying to add Fankfurt to the itinerary but I'm not sure it would work for me. You are probably right though - I would just end up with two that way (not that anything like that has ever happened to me before).

Pics or it didn't happen - I agree. I will post up when I've reached a decision and/or have the watch in hand.

Thanks again everyone!

I saw the whole Sinn line at a recent Watchbuys event. Both pieces are very nice and of obviously high quality. Both have a black matte dial. I would not worry about the quality of the bezel on the EZM. It was a 120 click bezel and felt rock solid in my hands. The EZM 3 had not been on my radar but I really liked it in person. It is maybe a bit less versatile than the 856 as it lacks drilled lugs; strap changes would be difficult. If you like the looks of it I might consider the Military III as well as it is a rare piece and looks similar.

I did not take pictures of the EZM 3 but I have some of the 856 non UTC along with the 556i, on my 6.75" wrist, and a comparison shot:

Name:  IMG_2222.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  12.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_2224.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  12.5 KBName:  IMG_2225.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  10.3 KB
    Last edited by Dr_Fierce; January 3rd, 2014 at 21:25.

Here are some pictures I took today and during last week...

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  37.1 KBName:  100.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  125.2 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information