Far Fetched?

Thread: Far Fetched?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Far Fetched?

Ok, hear me out with this possibility... My Sinn 104 gained maybe a second a day before I wore it on a flight to Chile this past summer. When I arrived there I went to advance the time + 2 hours for the time change and found the crown very hard to unscrew. Then, within a day, the watch was gaining 15 seconds a day. It has remained the same ever since. Can airplane travel cause a watch to have these problems? the 104 is considered an aviator watch, to boot... Watch is nine months old. It hasn’t been magnetized.

Thanks for any input as to why the watch is behaving like this, literally overnight.

Re: Far Fetched?

No, airplane travel would not cause that to happen, probably best to have it examined under warranty.

Are you sure it wasn’t magnetized? It has a sapphire crystal caseback, and not overly antimagnetic. Mine seemed to get magnetized often, and lots of opportunities to magnetize on a flight/airport/travel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Could be magnetized, but the crown is hard to unscrew. Did it thread back in smoothly? Best thing is you are under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chuck P
    (7.25" wrist size)

Quote Originally Posted by harry_flashman View Post
    Are you sure it wasn’t magnetized? It has a sapphire crystal caseback, and not overly antimagnetic. Mine seemed to get magnetized often, and lots of opportunities to magnetize on a flight/airport/travel.
    Good thing it’s still under warranty. Did it go under water perhaps with the crown slightly unscrewed?

Probably just coincidence. Have it looked at under warranty.

Far Fetched?

15 seconds a day really isn’t really so indicative of being magnetized. And the 104 is antimagnetic to 4800 A/m.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Meanoldmanning; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:33.
    Michael
    not actually mean, that’s just my face

Quote Originally Posted by fotojake View Post
    My Sinn 104 gained maybe a second a day before I wore it on a flight to Chile this past summer. When I arrived there I went to advance the time + 2 hours for the time change and found the crown very hard to unscrew.
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman143 View Post
    Did it go under water perhaps with the crown slightly unscrewed?
    It sounds like something that was maybe caused by aircraft pressurization (anybody that carries sealed shampoo bottles knows the post-flight pop).

Complete guess/maybe/what-if: Maybe during the flight the watch either got higher or lower pressure than outside and unscrewing the crown "popped" an air pressure wave through the insides of the watch disrupting things. Prior to flight, your crown may not have been completely sealed.

I was curious about the 104 as I was uncertain what model it is.
    Sinn.de came on my screen and I see this watch is "The Classic Pilots Watch."

Please let us know what the problem turns out to be.

I downloaded an app that is supposed to be able to detect whether or not a watch is magnetized by using the magnet in a smartphone. Allegedly, my watch is not magnetized, but it should probably go to a local watch repair to see if it really is. I noticed that the crown stem is a little wiggly, too. I am always careful to “lefty loosey” the crown a half turn before doing the “righty tighty” to screw it closed. Watch has never been submerged in water. Is the stateside repair shop WatchBuys recommends good? Shipping to Germany is pricey! Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information